“Just Perfect”

Aloft Portland Airport at Cascade Station
Ranked #45 of 144 Hotels in Portland
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed September 9, 2011

I have to start by saying ... the aloft is not for everyone. I can guarantee that a lot of people, unlike my husband and I, would gasp at my 5 star review. Regardless, I LOVE LOVE LOVE the aloft. It is a modern hotel concept which brings a fresh and hip vibe to the Starwood brand.

Here are some of my highlights:
Check In - Efficient and the staff was extremely friendly to us!
Rooms - Amazing!!! The room has a loft feel with a modern set up and everything is soooo clean! We felt it was the perfect size - even a little bigger than the traditional hotel room. I also LOVE the Bliss products. I felt like I was a Bliss spa every time I took a shower. So relaxing!
Work out facility - clean and organized - every machine has a tv which is a major bonus in my book.
Pool - didn't use it but it looked clean and big
Bar/Lounge - super fun area with a mix of good food and drinks
Amenities - They had a number of things you could buy to eat and drink. They had some random toiletries. Our room had 2 free bottles of water everyday.

The hotel is located very close to the airport. There is free parking. There are approx 8-10 restaurants across the street from the hotel with an additional 25+ places to shop from a Target to Best Buy to Michaels.

You can also walk to the train station from the hotel. We opted to drive to the city as oppose to taking the train (we take the train to and from work everyday and wanted the break). The city center was approx 9 miles away.

Overall, I think the clean and modern feel of the aloft coupled with the spacious rooms, luxe bath products and comfortable bedding makes this one of the best hotels for the price (We paid $88/night). Can't wait to go back there!!

Stayed: September 2011, traveled with family
AloftPDXStuart, Manager at Aloft Portland Airport at Cascade Station, responded to this reviewResponded September 29, 2011

Greetings FJT Traveler,

Thanks for taking the time to share your experience of the Aloft Portland! We are VERY happy you enjoyed the property and were able to utilize our amenities! We look forward to welcoming you back to Aloft soon!

Best,

Stu
Asst. General Manager

There are newer reviews for Aloft Portland Airport at Cascade Station

Reviewed September 6, 2011

This is my third Aloft, and they've all been identical in terms of the building and rooms. Although I'm not the target market for the brand (I'm in my 50's) I do like them. I travel for business so am in hotel rooms around 200 nights a year. In the case of the Portland Aloft, this was a pleasure trip.

This Aloft, like the others I've been, has a larger LCD TV than you'll see in most hotels. And, it has a convenient junction box that you can use to hook your computer up to it using either a VGA or HDMI cable. I appreciate that!

If you can stay in downtown Portland, do so. It's a lot more fun. But, if you have a late arriving flight, stay here the first night then move downtown. Or, if you have an early morning flight, stay here before you depart. Or, if you want to save money, or if you don't have downtown activities planned, this is a great choice. There is a MAX light rail station very nearby, so it's easy to get on a train to most anywhere in Portland, including downtown. You can walk to the nearby Ikea and have Swedish meatballs for dinner! There is a Starbucks nearby. There is a lot of shopping nearby, mostly traditional big box stores. And, there are several (mostly national chain) restaurants within walking distance, too. The parking is free. There is a free shuttle to and from the airport.

I thought the staff was great. We left a couple of items in our room, and when we called the hotel the next day they said they had them, and would hold them for us until our return later in the week.

One thing might be an issue for some people. The Aloft's have the "window style" AC/heading units (controlled by a wall thermostat) that are typical for select-service hotels. They're loud, and their turning on and off through the night might annoy some. (I tend to sleep through most anything, so didn't have a problem.) But, to get away from this kind of AC/Heating unit, you pretty much have to stay at a full-service hotel.

As an SPG Platinum member, I prefer this Aloft over the somewhat-tired Sheraton nearby.

Room Tip: The rooms are pretty much all the same from what I've seen.
  • Stayed: August 2011, traveled as a couple
AloftpdxGM, General Manager at Aloft Portland Airport at Cascade Station, responded to this reviewResponded September 8, 2011

Hello JiminBoul,

Thank you for your review of the Aloft Portland. I'm glad to hear that you have had a chance to experience several other Alofts in different parts of the country. I'm also pleased to hear that all have been enjoyable experiences!

Thank you for being a loyal Platinum member. Your comments are highly valued as we know how hard it is to obtain that level of membership.

We look forward to seeing you the next time you visit the Portland area.

Until then, Safe Travels!

David

Reviewed September 2, 2011

First time at an Aloft hotel and I was very pleased. The hotel has the modern minimalism type of look. Crazy liquid floor in the elevator. Rooms are clean, comfortable and functional. Not sure if I'd be happy with a long stay but overnight is just perfect. Great pool, nice bar and outside area. Great front desk staff. WIll certainly look at this brand again in the future.

• Stayed: September 2011, traveled on business
Reviewed September 2, 2011

From the outset, this looks like a place that wouldn't be good for a family. It's so stylish and modern, it's pretty clear that they are targeting a younger business travel market. But our crew of-including 3 kids 5 and under - felt right at home. Our room was very spacious, the staff were very helpful, the pool was very nice. There was no breakfast included, but it's located right next door to an IHOP. The grown ups really appreciated the shopping surrounding the hotel, including an IKEA (which has free breakfasts, but not until 9:00 AM - our kids are up and hungry much earlier). And you're only steps away form Portland's MAX train line, which got us to the Zoo and Children's Museum. A very nice hotel in a very convenient location.

• Stayed: August 2011, traveled with family
Reviewed August 28, 2011

Others have noted the loudness of the hotel's public, and that's definitely something to consider. I loved watching the planes come and go, but agree that the music could do with some toning down. The smoking areas are also kind of close to the "living" areas. If you'e looking for a place to hang out, I suppose that's germane, but if you just want a place for sleeping (which, really, who goes to PDX as a tourist destination?), there are other things to consider.

"Euro minimalism" is not a bad thing, really, but I have to wonder what is wrong with just plain (hah) minimalism - I mean, why not enjoy where you are, rather than try to make it look like you're elsewhere? Whatever. The bed was comfortable enough, and that's the important thing. I got to my flight on time (too early, which is why I stayed there in the first place) and well-rested enough.

• Stayed: August 2011, traveled with family
1  Thank Claremargaret
Reviewed August 28, 2011

Although I usually stay at Courtyards or Garden Inns, this was amazing. Modern Up to date and fairly priced. Wouldn't hesitate to stay again. Excellent service

• Stayed: July 2011, traveled on business
Reviewed August 27, 2011

I really would like to give a high rating to this hotel. It's proximity to the airport, accessibility of restaurants at a nearby mall, and overall relaxed comfort with smallish but clean attractive rooms are all positives. Being an aloft hotel, they have that pseudo hipness with funky bar and public places that could be annoying to some, but aren't really a big deal. Where this property really really goes sour is the front desk staff. The front desk is a smallish circle practically at the front doors and usually manned by a single bewildered twenty-something. With the volume of this hotel, this is inadequate and staff need better training. In one instance, I waited at the front desk 15 minutes checking in while the staff person fumbled around with a computer glitch. In another episode, I waited to pay for candy while the desk person answered phones, took people ahead of me and generally ignored me. I finally just left the
money and walked away

These things do not leave a good first impression for a generally good hotel.

hipness with funky bar, interesting public spaces

• Stayed: August 2011

Hello Bink 530,

Thank you for trying the Aloft Portland. It is very unfortunate you had two negative experiences at our front desk and for this I offer you a sincere apology. We pride ourselves with providing excellent customer service to each and every guest. I hope I might be able to explain your certain experiences; these are not excuses for our lack of service, but may ease the concerns you had with your first Aloft experience. When you checked in, we had a system failure on our computer system which caused a delay in our ability to quickly and efficiently check our valued guests in. This is an occurrence that rarely happens, but when it does, it is certainly frustrating for our guests and for our team as we are unable to do our jobs as well as we would like to. There is nothing worse than having to wait in line to check in to your hotel room after a long flight. I also would like to apologize that you were not tended to in an expeditious manner when you purchased items from our re:fuel area. We typically have two or three staff members on duty during peak check in and checkout times. There is the occasion when one of the talent members may be away from the desk for a break or when they are helping another guest. I found that unfortunately that was the case when you were there to make your purchase. Again, I am sorry that our service did not meet your expectations. I hope you will give us another try the next time you are in the Portland area. If you decide you would like something more full service, please consider our sister property, the Sheraton Portland Airport Hotel.

Thank you again for your review.

Best regards,