“the Nines is a perfect downtown stay in Portland”

The Nines, a Luxury Collection Hotel, Portland
Ranked #23 of 144 Hotels in Portland
GreenLeadersGold level
Reviewed March 11, 2011

The property, staff and restaurants are top notch. It is the only place I will stay when I visit Portland.

Reviewed March 4, 2011

Here are some candid comments from the client:

This truly has been wonderful working with this hotel -- all
reservations were done right the first time -- and it was great
working with Whitney Johnson. From that standpoint, it was probably
the best ever. She even checked with me each day about a couple of
people not showing up, and she didn't charge us for those rooms. And
all was right on the final bill as well.
The Nines Hotel worked out very well, and we can't thank you enough
for connecting us to this venue.

In the evaluation surveys, 91% rated the "conference location and
facilities" as excellent, with another 7% saying good. Comments
included, "Amazing food, in a fantastic hotel!" and "the hotel was
glorious."

_____________ worked more closely with the hotel staff than I
did, but certainly almost everything that came across my path was
great. (One small challenge: my hotel room phone line turned out to be
not working just when I had to record a crucial podcast with a
journalist in France. The hotel engineer was clueless (not good) but
the front desk quickly whisked me to an empty suite with a working
phone so we could get on with the media opportunity.)
This is one of the best hotels ever. I can go on at length (and will fill out a survey from Starwood and write to the hotel managers), but suffice to say the following. I always expect SOMETHING to happen -- something to go wrong. The only thing that went wrong at The Nines was the weather on the east coast. The food, the service, the managers, Courtney -- all fabulous.

And thanks to you for finding them.

Reviewed March 1, 2011

My husband and I stayed at The Nines Valentine's weekend. We were in town for a play, and looking forward to checking it out. We have stayed at nearly all of the Boutique Hotels in Portland given frequent trips to the city from our home 4 hours away.
The Hotel staff was very gracious and professional throughout our stay, and the location is perfect.
The problems started when we got to our room, a deluxe king. Rooms are small, which we expected, but our room was dirty, not messy, dirty. The marble shower was pretty, but not with the black mold growing up the corners and around the drain and the pink mold in the grout of the lower portions. The cool looking stainless steel sink in the bathroom didn't drain, at first I thought I hadn't opened the drain, but no, it just didn't really matter much. The sink would eventually drain leaving all of the scum from soap, toothpaste, etc. on the stainless.
On to the bedroom, the pale teal velvet settee in front of the window was beautiful, but the bodily fluids smeared on both ends that matted down the velvet, making it very obvious was just...wrong. I mean, seriously? Someone cleaning that room had to have noticed. This just made me laugh; they don't give you a top sheet unless you request it, and the duvet, even for a king size bed is queen size. This is done in the name of saving water, but really, it's saving the company a lot of money that they don't spend on cleaning products. We joked about the note they leave telling you they will give you points if you have a green room while you are there, meaning you don't have it cleaned. Our room was so green it turned black. :) We have learned to see every travel experience as an adventure, that way we don't let these things ruin having a good time together. I do feel like I need to say something about our experience at The Nines because of the reputation this Hotel should have to live up to.

4  Thank nwgirl58
FredKleisner, General Manager at The Nines, a Luxury Collection Hotel, Portland, responded to this reviewResponded March 4, 2011

I would like to apologize on the hotel’s behalf for the experience you had with us. I have spoken to the Director of Housekeeping regarding the issues you had with your room to ensure this type of experience will not happen again. We are in the process of reupholstering our settee’s Please reach out to me directly to discuss this further.

Fred Kleisner, GM
Fred.kleisner@thenines.com

Reviewed February 28, 2011

I never write reviews because I am never one to complain. 5 star? I don’t think so. We usually stay at high end resorts and hotels when I visit the west coast but my stay at The Nines was definitely not up to par. When I booked I must have spent 20 minutes talking with the booking agent about the infinity tub and how much my wife was looking forward to it. She explained how wonderful the suite would be and that we would not be disappointed. First thing we saw when entering the suite was stains on the couch which looked worn. Not a big deal... we were tired and the bedroom and bathroom facility were the important details. Entering the bedroom was a light fixture hanging awkwardly on its side. I couldn’t believe they would just leave it like that. Someone had to notice. It was off by about 45 degrees. Again, I was tired, so I lay down on the bed. From the other room my wife asked me to come into the bathroom. I thought she was going to be excited about the tub….

No infinity tub. Not only that, there were stains in the tub that was there, a shower curtain (no glass door?) and the most complicated fixtures I had ever seen to turn on and off the shower. I called down to ask about the suite that I though we got. It turns out that it was the “Nines Suite” which has been rented out for the past couple years and there is only one of them. This made me a bit upset, but I am not one to say anything at the time.

Once again I jumped back into bed to get some rest, when again my wife said “Honey, look at the sheets….” Red wine was spilled down the skirt of the bed and the side of the sheet. At this point I was annoyed, but not enough to say anything.

The next morning my wife went to take a shower. When she got out there was only one bathrobe. When she went to iron her shirt there was a ultra small ironing board with stains all over it.

That was it… I called Monoco and booked with them and canceled the rest of my reservation. At least you know what you get with a Kimpton Hotel even though its 4 star. I never leave a hotel, but this was ridiculous. Sorry Nines…. You are overrated in my eyes.

4  Thank NantucketGuy

Your response is disappointing to receive, but much appreciated. I would like to apologize for the miscommunication from our reservations agent regarding the bathtub. There is only one infinity tub in the hotel and the majority of our rooms have showers. The level of service that you received is unacceptable and not up to the standards we hold at the Nines. I would appreciate the opportunity to discuss further with you.
Fred Kleisner, GM
Fred.kleisner@thenines.com

Reviewed February 25, 2011

My wife and I stayed at The Nines over the weekend and have to say it’s an okay hotel but probably shouldn’t be in the SPG Luxury Collection.

We checked in later in the afternoon, went to our room (an interior room, and more on that later) and when we got there we realized they only had one bathrobe, one pair of slippers and one bar of soap (we wanted one soap for the shower and one for the sink) so I called down and requested the items. Not a big deal or a difficult request. I mentioned that we would be leaving the room for a few hours and anytime that evening would be fine. Upon our return, 4.5 hours later, they hadn’t delivered the items. I called again and they said they would send them right up. Half an hour later and still no items, I called and said we’re going to bed, please deliver them tomorrow. I stopped by the Concierge the next morning and they promised that this would be corrected. We were out all day, came back to the room and the robe and soap had been delivered, but still no slippers. I went back to Concierge, spoke with them and waited there for the last item. While I was waiting, the other concierge checked the computer and mentioned that the reservation was setup for only one person. I mentioned that that was fine, and probably true, but probably by the fourth time asking and 24 hours later, someone should have realized there were two people in the room. I finally was handed a pair of slippers so that I could take them to the room myself. The big issue here at this hotel is that no one take ownership for anything and they are constantly trying to find an excuse for a problem instead of fixing it.

The rooms,

Half the rooms, like the one we had, face the atrium of the hotel. The problem with this is that the bar downstairs, Urban Farmer, is load and “club like” on the weekends so it gets very loud in the rooms. The windows are not soundproof, the curtain helps some but if you plan on going to bed before midnight, either bring earplugs. The noise was so bad on Saturday night that at 11:30 when I called the front desk, and could barely hear them, they told me “it’s normally this load and they’re not much they can do about it.” The night before, Friday, we had both this noise and the neighbor across the halls party to listen too as we tried to sleep. If you get an inside room especially on a weekend this will happen to you!

The bars/food:

The bar upstairs, Departure, is a neat space that has a great view. The bartenders were nice but forgetful. They forgot a drink I had ordered, not a big deal, and after five minutes, when they remembered, said it was on them. That was a fine solution until our bill came and we were charged for the drink (which I paid for.) I’m pointing this out as just another minor issue but one worth noting.

Coffee at the hotel is a search and rescue mission. I found a guest in the hallway carrying coffee to his room and I asked where he got the coffee. He took me to the overlooks (part of the building’s design to point me to the bar at Urban Farmer. There is no mention of this anywhere. I went downstairs, was not greeted by anyone, when to the bar, filled two cups of coffee, filled out my “honor bar” (no notice or instructions) invoice for the coffee (there is a small fishbowl with chits filled out) waited for some more coffee, there wasn’t enough for two cups and left. This process felt very Holiday Inn, not “Luxury Collection.”

This hotel is in a great building, in a nice locations (lots of places to see and other hotels to stay at) but without a serious change of policies, some much needed training and an attitude that we’re here to help the guest and people take “ownership” of each and every “issue” I would look elsewhere for luxury. If you’re looking for an average Sheraton, you’ll be fine here.

One more note to share. At a luxury hotel you would expect an amenity kit in the bathroom, at The Nines there is none.

**Editor’s note: I was spoiled by a stay at another Luxury Collection hotel, the Sheraton Grande Bangkok which has a level of service that is almost unmatched. Maybe it was my expectations for the SPG Luxury Collection but…

2  Thank robertt773
FredKleisner, General Manager at The Nines, a Luxury Collection Hotel, Portland, responded to this reviewResponded March 1, 2011

Thank you for sharing your concerns. There is no excuse for the inconsistent service you were provided or the inadequate resolutions; I will be following up with the department heads so they may coach their associates appropriately. We provide interior facing rooms at a lower price for those who want that experience, as well as city views for those who prefer a quieter stay. We are happy to have a coffee maker in your room prior to arrival if you ever have a chance to visit us again. I am at your service if you would like to discuss further.

Reviewed February 22, 2011

Good qualities: superb gym; great downtown location; cool, quirky and fun decor; big bathrooms and some very helpful staff.

There are some problems that are structural to this old building and can't be fixed, like the old single paned windows that let in all the city noise, the atrium structure, the smallish rooms.

I was there with my husband for two nights, the first night at a group rate because of my husband's college event held there and the second night on our own at $169/nt before tax. The different room rates occasioned all types of hassle, including an initial assertion at check-in that we would be required to change rooms mid-stay and a flashing red phone light before dawn that disturbed us in order to request an additional swipe of a credit card, but I assume that was a fluke event. The hotel has generously sent me a gift certificate for a free night's stay as a remedy.

However, there are other flaws that make The Nines definitely NOT a five star hotel, including so many also mentioned by prior reviewers that I have to conclude the hotel doesn't intend or cannot afford to remedy them. These flaws include: (1) a feather duvet provided but with no top sheet on the bed, so the guest must choose between the extremely warm duvet and no covering at all unless the guest specifically requests a top sheet; this is in the cause of being "green," but for us it led to an alternately hot/cold and mostly sleepless night before we wised up and obtained a normal top sheet and blankets for our second night; (2) no written information in the room about the hotel, including no price list for the mini bar that I could find; (3) cold marble bathroom floors with no rugs; (4) marble shower floor that is slippery when wet and soapy, with no rubber grip mat provided; (5) no shower cap; (6) no in-room coffee maker [yes, there is a Starbucks across the street and expensive coffee available from room service]; (7) stained/worn upholstery, surprising in such a new hotel; (8) inadequate signage to amenities such as ice, which is needed because all the "cold" tap water is lukewarm; (9) only one bathrobe provided for 2 people; (10) no daily paper outside door; (11) valuables safe and drawers consuming most of the closet hanging space; (12) our room # 708 generally crammed with furniture, some of which appeared unnecessary (structure under TV) or not well chosen (cocktail table so much lower than arm of sofa that it was useless to rest a drink on); (13) weird drapery installation, which had me standing on the sofa to draw the black out shade; (14) lack of towel hooks next to shower, so you need to enter the cold bathroom dripping wet to grab a towel a couple of steps away; (15) mini-toilets, although the dual flush option is a nicely green feature. Also, we did not find adequate website direction to the hotel entrance, which is in a grid of transit malls extremely difficult for even former Portlanders like ourselves to navigate by car. You can avoid the $32/nt charge for parking by dropping your luggage with the bellman and parking your own car in one of the many nearby public garages.

We can not rate the restaurants or the bar, as we did not patronize either, but the banquet in the hotel ballroom that we attended our first night served excellent food.

2  Thank libragrl49
FredKleisner, General Manager at The Nines, a Luxury Collection Hotel, Portland, responded to this reviewResponded February 28, 2011

We appreciate your feedback and value your perspective. My apologies our housekeeping green choice program resulted in a less than satisfying experience. Our intention is to blend the best of the luxury and sustainable lifestyle. That is why our top sheets are optional, our compendium is on the television and on our mobile application website; please reach out to me if you would like me to send you the link. Newspapers are also available upon request. Please contact me directly if you would like to discuss further.

Reviewed February 22, 2011

We get to Portland 3-4 times a year and after trying many different hotels, have settled on the Nines. This was our sixth stay here and it was a good this time as every time before which is to say, wonderful.

The location, the decor, the comfort of the beds, the amenities and the great staff in addition to Urban Farmer the restaurant in the lobby make this among my favorites in the US. It has a real boutique feeling to it and it has been the same each time we have been here.