The Nines, a Luxury Collection Hotel, Portland
Shilo Inns Portland Airport(Portland)(Great Value!)
$143
$134
$141
$113
Country Inn
Best Western Inn At The Meadows(Portland)(Great Value!)
$94
$205
$221
Hotels.com
  • Restaurant
Inn at Northrup Station(Portland)
$159
$154
Hotwire.com
3,046 results
All reviewsurban farmerthe club loungerooftop bardeparture loungedeparture restaurantpioneer squaredepartment storeturn down serviceconcierge desktop floorcity viewbeautiful hotelheart of downtowncorner roomvalet parkingvalet servicefitness center
FilterAll languages
Reviewed January 11, 2011

The Nines is incredibly well situated in the heart of downtown Portland. The hotel has a chic and classy style, sort of Vintage-Department-Store-Glam. The staff we dealt with were attentive and pleasant. But there were a few things about The Nines that I think could be improved.
Aside from a room service menu, there is no information of any sort on the room - about the city, the hotel or the (deluxe) room in which we are staying. Although the hotel is wifi enabled - and it's free - we didn't realize it until we visited the room of another of the couples in our group who resided closer to the front of the building. It did not work in our room. We also had issues with the television - sometimes it would take us to the display menu, other times it wouldn't.
We were located on the 7th floor, just below the bar, where pipes and ventilation groaned and banged along with chairs or other furniture across the ceiling and down the walls until after midnight and early in the morning. While the bed and pillows were comfortable, we didn't get the rest we were hoping for. We didn't know we could call down for a bed sheet - as mentioned, there was no information provided for guests in the room at all. While I appreciate the green initiative, we found it somewhat uncomfortable to be using just a hotel comforter as our only bedding.
There was no tea or coffee service in the room. And although I emptied what was left in the box of tissue in the bathroom on our first night there, it was never replaced. We didn't order room service, so I can't comment on that aside from noting there were fresh flowers on the trays that were left in the halls. We only took a peak at Departures upstairs, and it looked lovely. A funky, spacey kind of decor and what looked like delicious Asian fusion cuisine. The view of Portland is phenomenal from the lounge. The bar staff at Urban Farmer were attentive and pleasant, and the complimentary sliders were delicious, but we were disappointed with the quality of other food offerings.
If I could rate half stars, I'd have to give The Nines a 3 1/2 in comparison to other hotels of its class. The main areas for improvement are in communication, food and housekeeping. But I also recognize that some of the faults of our room - lack of wifi reception and noise - are due to an unfortunate location and not necessarily reflexive of the rest of the property. Based on the quality of staff, cleanliness, and location, I would recommend The Nines to a friend - but I'd tell them about our experience, first.

• Stayed: December 2010, traveled with family
FredKleisner, General Manager at The Nines, a Luxury Collection Hotel, Portland, responded to this reviewResponded January 24, 2011

Thank you for all the feedback you have provided; this will help us to improve the operations of our property. I am glad you appreciate our green ethos and just wanted to mention that we switched our compendium from a hard copy to a digital version which is available on your TV. Also, for your peace of mind please know that the duvet covers are washed prior to every arrival.

Rest assured we will improve upon the opportunities you have outlined and look forward to welcoming you back in the future. Feel free to contact me directly.

Fred Kleisner, GM
fred.kleisner@thenines.com

Reviewed January 10, 2011

Stayed here in October 2010 with my father and two brothers for a short holiday here. Very classy hotel with everything! We really enjoyed the atmosphere of this hotel, the rooms, the reception, everything! Beds were super comfy, there was a free water bottle left in the rooms everyday, which meant we didn't have to go down to the bar to buy drinks at night. We booked two double rooms and were placed on different floors which was slightly annoying, but it didn't matter. The one annoyance I had with this stunning hotel is that you have to use your room card to access the lift/elevator, and can only go to your own floor. Also, once inside the stairwell (which wasn't really for public use) you couldn't exit until the eigth floor (reception), which is a problem if you entered on the 14th floor. I wouldn't recommend this hotel for families with small children, but for everyone else it is magnificent! I loved the breakfasts here, where the staff supplied my every craving. The Portland city centre is just outside, and the view was amazing from one of our rooms! I would definately stay here again!!!

• Stayed: October 2010, traveled with family
Reviewed January 5, 2011

The Nines in Portland offered my family and I a wonderful rewarding experince. My children especially had a memorable Christmas morning. Waking up on the 10th floor corner room with a view of Mt. Hood and the layout of downtown portland was a thrilling treat for the family. The room was well furnished and the cleaniness was evident all around.
The service from the door of the hotel through the check in desk was all professional, courteous and friendly. The mooted blue color of the hotel was soothing and welcoming.

We will definitely visit again sooooon. Loved it.

• Stayed: December 2010, traveled as a couple
Reviewed January 5, 2011

Do not miss staying here if You are in Portland, OR.
It is extremely nice and a great nightlife if you seek that!
You are right in the heart of the city and large elegant rooms. The Club here is better than most of the Starwood Luxury Collection Hotels!
I would highly recommend it!

• Stayed: December 2010, traveled solo
Reviewed January 1, 2011

We had a great stay at The Nines. The hotel is perfectly, centrally located across the street from Pioneer Square and the MAX had stops going in every direction right in front or next to the hotel. The rooms are nice but are really small.....we were traveling with a baby so needed a crib in the room and there was no room to walk around at all with the crib in the room. They are well decorated but just very, very small. The hotel also has a great fitness center and AMAZING restaurant. We ate at Urban Farmer every morning for breakfast and were so pleased every morning!! The food is spectacular and the decor is cool and open. We also went up to Departure on the roof for Happy Hour which was nice but we didn't see it in full effect for its night life. All in all, a great hotel and would recommend it to anyone.

• Stayed: August 2010, traveled with family