“Exceeded my already high expectations AGAIN!”

The Nines, a Luxury Collection Hotel, Portland
Ranked #17 of 141 Hotels in Portland
GreenLeadersGold level
Greenacres, WA
“Exceeded my already high expectations AGAIN!”
Reviewed March 9, 2010

This was my 2nd visit to the Nines (1st last Nov) and I got to say. . . I was "WOWED" yet again. My first visit was with my husband and we were celebrating being together 3 years. We arrived to a very friendly staff, beautiful room, and "Happy Anniversary" chocolates. I belong to SPG and SVO and have stayed very nice properties over the past few years (my home resort being the Westin Villas in Maui). I must say I adore The Nines and the unique atmosphere that sets it apart from other hotels.

I was recently at the St Regis Monarch Beach in Dana Point, Ca and was very unimpressed . . . Although it is a beautiful property the staff was not very warm or accommodating. This is complete the reverse at The Nines. The staff always had a smile and welcoming hello and seemed to genuinely want to help and accommodate guests.

I have read the reviews where others have felt a negative impression and I am sorry they have not been able to experience The Nines as it truly should be. This is a great property with much to offer.

After my first stay I was already hooked. So when the opportunity arose for a return trip to Portland I instantly booked The Nines. I was visiting my sister from Longview and my mother also flew to Portland for our visit. I had told her about the hotel but she was still swept away and commented she hadn’t quite expected such a lovely experience.
This time in a club floor room with two queen beds and city view I found the room much larger then my previous King room overlooking the atrium. Most of our time was spent at the hotel with some light shopping and sightseeing around downtown Portland, but The Nines is truly a hotel that offers much to see and enjoy where you almost never need to leave.

We enjoyed evening hors d'oeuvres in the club lounge and then visited the Urban Farmer for samplings off their Cheese Cart. This is a unique experience I highly recommend. My husband and I had also ordered from the cheese cart our first visit. I returned to show my mother. You get a variety of cheese to select from, though $5 per ounce you also receive divine sauces/spreads, nuts, & crackers. This will continue to be an event I make sure to treat my friends and family to each time we visit. If you enjoy cheese then you should love this. The presentation and flavors make for a very memorable experience.

Now to the “Departure” restaurant & lounge, located at the top floor (15) of the hotel. Walking into this place feels like you’ve entered another world altogether. My favorite items here would have to be the Shiu Mai (Pork dumplings) and Calamari Tempura (see pictures). Everyone in our party couldn’t stop raving about the Calamari (recommended by our server), by far the best we’ve all had.

Great location, great restaurants, great accommodations, and lovely staff (especially all the gals working in the club lounge this past weekend. Very pleasant & cordial, and always made sure to keep tables clean).

*Just a side note. Many complain about the lack of a sheet or coffee maker. The hotel is happy to provide both upon request. Just make sure to mention these at check in or even call the hotel before your arrival.

***** in my book. Looking forward to my next return (we'll be back with friends for our upcoming birthdays)

• Stayed March 2010, traveled with family
2 Thank Heather H
FredKleisner, General Manager at The Nines, a Luxury Collection Hotel, Portland, responded to this review, March 15, 2010
Thank you for the many kind words, it is inspiring to read reviews like this and see the level our staff has taken service to at the Nines. I look forward to welcoming you back - please do not hesitate to contact me directly with any requests you may have.

Fred Kleisner, GM
fred.kleisner@thenines.com

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (722)
vermont
Reviewed March 9, 2010

Hotel over achieved my expectations in every way. the staff is the most pleasant and professional in the country. the facility was immaculate and perfectly guest facing in all aspects. i will stay at the Nines whenever I am in Portland. thanks.

• Stayed March 2010, traveled on business
Los Angeles, California
Reviewed March 5, 2010

I was a little nervous to stay here after seeing a number of negative reviews. However, the concern was needless; I had a wonderful stay at the Nines.
The service was really attentive -- they would stop chatting with each other anytime a customer approached, and were glad to help. There were all sorts of free amenities, like a gym, wi-fi, and nightly turn-down service (when they would bring additional bottled waters and treats). The restaurants were a bit expensive, but the food was wonderful. The only issues were that the rooms were a bit small and there is no real curtain to the room -- only a sheer one, as others had mentioned.
The location is great -- it's located in a Macy's building, so you couldn't get any closer than that! One block away is a mall (Pioneer Place) and a Nordtrom Rack, and up the street is more shopping including a Nordstrom and Banana Republic.
If you're not up to paying for the restaurant in the hotel, there is a lot of great food to choose from, all at walking distances and at various prices. For the truly low-budget, there are all these food stalls along the streets that are written really positively about on Yelp!
The Nines turned out to be a real gem, and definitely worth the price!

• Stayed March 2010, traveled on business
beaverton, OR
Reviewed March 1, 2010

To celebrate my 30th and my boyfriends 40th birthday, we decided to stay downtown for the weekend. I tried contacting Departures a week before to see if I could reserve a table or just area for about 20 friends to come and have drinks early in the night. They were very rude to me and told me the only way I could reserve space was to place a $800 deposit. So, I changed plans and did not go to departures.

While staying at the hotel, we asked for room service to change our dirty sheets while we left to go out on the town for the day. When we came back, we realized this still had not been taken care of. I called again, and they said they came up, but we were not there. Really, I have to be there while you change our sheets??? So, we left again, and came back to find a nasty letter from the front desk saying they had tried to contact us about our request but we were "unresponsive". Why would we be in the room at 12pm on a Saturday???

Oh, and Saturday morning we woke up to a nice fire alarm going off where we went down the back stairs that put us out back of the hotel. In walking back around to the front of the hotel, there was no hotel staff saying what was going on, or directing us to where we should be.

When checking out, we spoke to a manager, treated us like second class citizens (very pretentious).

I will never stay at this place again, and being from this city will never go to Departures or Urban Farmer. I prefer hotels and restaurants to make you feel like they want your business and they want you there, not ones that have their nose too high in the air to realize their customer service is severely lacking.

• Stayed February 2010, traveled as a couple
5 Thank andreadb227
FredKleisner, General Manager at The Nines, a Luxury Collection Hotel, Portland, responded to this review, March 5, 2010
Please accept my apology on the hotel's behalf if you felt undervalued as our guest during your stay. It is surprising to receive this feedback as the friendliness of our staff has been mentioned frequently as a highlight of the hotel. I would be happy to speak with you personally regarding the lapse in service you received, and am confident that we can come to a mutually satisfactory resolution.

-Fred Kleisner, GM
fred.kleisner@thenines.com
des moines
Reviewed March 1, 2010

The Nines blew my mind at every opportunity. I knew from the photos that it would be ooozing style but I didn't expect the staff to be so friendly and attentive. They were consistently warm and genuine. The rooms were comfortable, very clean and oh so quiet, even on the atrium side. Location was ideal, steps from public transit and in the center of a very walkable city. I would stay there again and again.

• Stayed February 2010, traveled as a couple
Midlothian, VA
Reviewed February 26, 2010

I rarely review a hotel, but had to comment on this one. I've travelled all over the world for thirty years and this is one of the best values I've found. I just spent two nights at the Nines attending a meeting there and was completely taken aback. Great location in downtown Portland with easy access to everything. Outside it's ordinary -- inside it's a contemporary jewel. Value is exceptional -- our cost at the meeting rate was $120 a night, including free Wi-Fi -- I would have expected to pay 2-3x that much. This is a place with personality--not a generic chain hotel. Staff is young, energetic and uniformly friendly. Hotel restaurant/bars are creative, sleek, themed (asian, organic) and modern, though not cheap (but if you're on a budget you have dozens of eateries within a short walk). Catering and meeting services were great. Not a false note anywhere. I will return.

• Stayed February 2010, traveled on business
Canada
Reviewed February 25, 2010

After reading the reviews of The Nines, I was a little worried about what I was going to experience, so my expectations were a little lower thn normal. They were far FAR exceeded! The hotel itself is awesome: funky decor, great lobby, and very friendly staff. I was in a superior room, which had a pretty good view of Pioneer Square. The room was very comfortble, and did not have a problem with temperature in the room. The beds were comfortable, but interestingly they only had a comforter on the bed, so I had to request a sheey to be made on the bed. And, the workout room was above average for a hotel exercise room.

The most impressive thing about The Nines were the staff, especially the concierge staff. they were all very helpful, especially Blanch. I was very inquisitive about restaurants, and she was very helpful, and recommended a great Peruvian restaurant. To top things off, she ordered complimentary sweets and port for my friend and I at the restaurant! Above and beyond the service of a hotel concierge.

Tips for an enjoyable experience:

1) Don't use the valet parking, as it is overpriced and the lot they use is just around the corner and the area is safe
2) Smile and say hi and the staff will smile and say hi back
3) Befirned the concierge because they are especially friendly (thanks Blanch!)
4) Request seprate sheets because you will get hot under the covers (no pun intended)

So, in closing, I don't know if the negative reviewers checked in to The Nines with unachievable expectations, or if they caught a staff person on a bad day, but the service and experience that I had at The Nines was excellent, and I would HIGHLY recommend this hotel to anyone to wants a weekend or so to enjoy Portland and its friendly people and interesting scene.

• Stayed February 2010, traveled on business