“Lovely stay. Friendly staff. Club floor not worth it.”

The Nines, a Luxury Collection Hotel, Portland
Ranked #23 of 144 Hotels in Portland
GreenLeadersGold level
Reviewed January 10, 2010

We love Portland and this was the nicest stay we have had. Doug the concierge was super helpful with restaurants, places to visit, spa and other nice things - one of the best. They gave a personalized birthday gift. All around great service. A few little comments. The club floor is nice but the breakfast in the lounge isn't really breakfast. The bathrooms are big but have no phone. The rooms ought to have a little hot water/coffee machine. And finally the valet parking is friendly but slow. These are little things - overall a great stay.

Stayed: January 2010, traveled as a couple

Reviewed January 9, 2010

Worst night ever!!

This hotel has a bistro bar in the center of the complex on the 6th floor. The noise from the bar bombarded our room on 14th floor till after midnight and then woke us at 7am with chinaware clattering. The windows need to be soundproofed!

The windows (although they don't open) have flimsy curtains which allow so much light in the room so you don't need to turn on lamp to find bathroom in the middle of the night. Im a light sleeper and wished we had not checked in.

Used the phone to ring Bend Or, and was charged $3 connection, Charged Top $Day rate, 125% surcharge. Thank$ Nine$ hotel.

Moving to another hotel today.

• Stayed: January 2010, traveled as a couple
1  Thank jo0853
Reviewed January 3, 2010

I was coming down from Seattle for the weekend to Celebrate my Birthday and my friends paid for my Hotel and they picked The Nines , I was not impressed from the get go, I called around 5 pm when i was an hour out of Portland to inform the front desk i was going to be arriving at 6:00 pm , when I arrived at 6:30 not only was not room not ready , but was still waiting final inspection.

I had made a Reservation for a King Size Bed and after arriving and wait9ing 30 min before my room was even ready, They offered to take my lugggage and call me when my room was ready, when the finally had a room ready for me the Front Desk Agent said I am sorry but the room you requested is not ready, and they upgraded me to a room with 2 Queen Beds. Kinda pointless when I am one person.

After accepting this and finding I had been put on the 7th floor where not only can you hear the train roll by every 5 to 10 min , But at 7 am you can hear the street Drums beating into your room threw the window great way to be woke up. Shortly after getting settled into my room I pulled back the covers to Find well Not exactly clean sheets for me to settle into that night. There were human hairs threw aout the sheet and I am not talking about hair from your head either, I then called the Front desk to complain and Housekeeping came up about 10 min later to change them.

There are so many thing I coudl tell you that nade this Hotel not a place I would stay Agian , I have had better service at Holiday Inn or Double Tree then here , The staff was very stuffy and pretentious, That was just not a good experience I would say think twice before you spend your money here Not to mention very spotie WIFI

• Stayed: January 2010, traveled solo
6  Thank timboi
Reviewed January 1, 2010

Horrible, spotty service. My room, which was supposed to be feather-free (called ahead to make sure this was noted), came complete with a down comforter & down pillows. I understand this happens - not a big deal - so I call the front desk and ask to have it changed out. The front desk clerk says "Can't you just take it off the bed?" I said "Yes, I am capable of taking it off the bed, but I would still need a blanket and some pillows." "Oh, okay" Housekeeping arrived about 30 minutes later (12:30AM - I had a late flight and was SO tired) with a cheap thin blanket, and no pillows. Let her know I needed some pillows too, pillows without feathers or down. She says okay, and 30 minutes later she arrives with 2 feather/down pillows! It's 1am, I am removing the down comforter to replace with the shamefully thin blanket, and I notice there are no sheets! You have got to be joking.... So I send her back for foam pillows & sheets, which she brings in about 15 minutes. She hands them to me and says "You can make the bed?" I say sure, I'm too tired to care. Get the rough sheets on, and low and behold, the sheet is riddled with holes! It's at this point I realize the decorative pillows (gold and light blue) have brown stains all over them. Ick. I curl up and go to sleep anyway. In the morning I see that the hallway carpets are dirty, buttons are missing in the elevator bank, etc. In short, not a 5-star hotel, by any stretch. Maid service did not come by the next day - however, the turndown service did straighten the room. Also of note, my room only had a shower, no tub - just something to keep in mind if you're booking this hotel. My room also faced the interior and the window would not open. Kind of annoying.

When I checked out, the front desk clerk asked about my stay, and this all came tumbling out. She seemed shocked and said that the Nines is known for their service - especially because they do not have the amenities that most 5-Stars have, so they rely on superior service to set them apart. I said that was really the opposite of my experience. She took my email address and made a note in the record, so we'll see if anything comes of it.

• Stayed: December 2009, traveled solo
3  Thank Tulane5280
AdamMarland, General Manager at The Nines, a Luxury Collection Hotel, Portland, responded to this reviewResponded January 5, 2010

Please accept my apologies on the hotel's behalf. We do understand that the most important thing in making a stay memorable is the service a guest encounters throughout. We appreciate you providing us with what was clearly an opportunity for improvement, and I would like the opportunity to discuss it with you further.

I will obtain your contact information from our front desk representative whom you spoke with and get in touch shortly; please feel free to contact me directly as well.

Fred Kleisner

fred.kleisner@thenines.com

Reviewed December 23, 2009

The room was beautiful. Definitely, better than any other Portland hotel. Our room was in the interior, but it was quiet (on the 11th floor). The workout facilities were amazing. I got a great rate from a discount site and as this is the only 5* hotel in Portland, I knew exactly what I was getting. They gave us (my daughter and I) a room with two double beds, which was perfect. My one complaint was the valet parking (a waste of money). It is the most expensive of any hotel in Portland and was the slowest. It took half an hour to get my car, from the time I called in my room till the car was brought to the front of the hotel. I should have saved many dollars and parked in a lot myself. The wifi was useless but free, they gave me an ethernet cord which worked fine.

• Stayed: December 2009, traveled with family
Reviewed December 13, 2009

This is a trendy cool hotel. Excellent downtown location! Square and shopping 1/2 block away. I recommend The Nines to couples as well as business professionals. Staff was friendly....especially parking valet.They tell you to allow 10 to 15 minutes for your car to arrive and it took 12 minutes...Lobby and check-in is on the 8th floor,not on the ground floor. I received a really good rate for the room. which is large with a nice bathroom and a good shower and tub. I would stay again especially when it is warmer...it was 14 degrees out the night I arrived. I had a nice meal at Serrato about a 3 minute drive or cab ride...excellent calamari ,pasta and dessert.

• Stayed: December 2009, traveled on business
Reviewed December 11, 2009

Located centrally downtown in the old Meier and Frank department store building (Macy's now on bottom), this hotel is trendy and elegant. We had a room facing the street , but some face inwards to the courtyard where the restaurant and lounges are. The room was very stylish, loved the colors used, not the same old boring hotel decor. Our price was very reasonable, I guess due to the off season, so a good deal. Service seemed very good. I would definitely go back!

• Stayed: November 2009, traveled as a couple