The Nines, a Luxury Collection Hotel, Portland
Ranked #27 of 144 Hotels in Portland
GreenLeadersGold level
Reviewed October 26, 2009

There isn't really anything wrong with the Nines. The rooms are very comfortable and well appointed. However, the rooms themselves are a little small. The place is amazing trendy and a major hotspot, especially the rooftop bar and restaurant. I would recommend this place for young couples and business travelers. However, if you are in Portland on vacation and want to stay somewhere quiet and relaxing, I would stay elsewhere as the Nines is in the middle of downtown and its hard to get some peace and quiet there.

• Stayed: September 2009, traveled with family

Reviewed October 25, 2009

Stayed her this past weekend, had a Club Level 2 Queen Corner City View Room. The room was nice, no tub, and no way to open the windows for fresh air, but I would not hesitate to recommend this hotel - Club Level - to anyone. The corner room was a bit much, probably would do just a club level city view next time, but this is definitely my new hotel in Portland.

Club Level lounge offered wines, beers, regular beverages and food all day - lunch was sparse but the mini-breakfasts and the evening deserts were the best. Hats off to the pastry chef!

The fitness center had to have been one of the best ones I have ever seen. Very high tech and efficient. Each treadmill had it's own tv display and headsets were left out at the front to use if necessary.

Reviewed October 23, 2009

I stayed at The Nines for 5 nights on a mixed business/leisure trip. I was overall very pleased! The rooms were spacious and beautiful, the bathrooms were large and well appointed. The location is extremely convenient to the new Max Rail. Valet parking is mandatory, but the valet staff were all over-the-top helpful and knowledgeable. They were so helpful in getting me around the rather confusing downtown area! I loved the nightly turndown service. I ordered room service one night and the portions were somewhat small but the food was great!

I had a few minor complaints: the down pillows were fluffy and nice, but WAY too thick to get comfortable on. The shower curtain was a little bit moldy, but the rest of the bathroom was clean. I did not use the window seat, as the pillows on it had some suspicious-looking stains. It did seem that the cleaning staff paid a little less attention to the room/turndown service as each day went on during my stay (yes, I tip!) Lastly, you can REALLY hear the Max Rail at night. If you're a light sleeper, ask for a room as far away from it as possible!

I do still highly recommend this hotel and was able to get a great government rate on it. Well worth the $140/night.

• Stayed: October 2009, traveled on business
Reviewed October 19, 2009

We are not "trendy" so I was a bit concerned about choosing this hotel. It turned out to be a wonderful choice - the location downtown is fantastic (though parking is by valet so plan on a few extra minutes when you need your car). The hotel itself is modern and unique - from the naked manequins to the overstuffed couches and private lounging areas - but the staff is friendly and approachable. Food and beverages were good and not ridiculously overpriced. Concierge provided solid recommendations on food and area attractions. Rooms were small but "cool".

Reviewed October 15, 2009

My husband and I stayed at The Nines for my birthday and had a great time. We stayed mid week and had a great night. The accomodations were beautiful, clean and very comfortable. The service was excellent, very accomodating. We had happy hour at Departure and it was excellent, food, drink and service was great.

We added the Live life to the Nines package to our room and enjoyed free parking (parking is $32 night which is very steep) and 4pm check out.

The room was very plush yet cozy. It was a great hotel for the price

Reviewed October 14, 2009

My stay at The Nines was incredible! I loved the room decor, the comfy beds and pillows, and the amenities. The overall interior of the hotel is fabulous. I loved the combination design of modern and vintage. The restaurant was very good as well with delicious food and drinks. There is a club/bar and rooftop deck at the top that is also appealing. Overall, the service was good and my stay was well worth it. I want to stay at the Nines everytime I travel to Portland!

• Stayed: September 2009, traveled with friends
Reviewed October 13, 2009

I travel on business often, so I have acheived the Platinum level in the Starwood program which led to an upgrade to their Club Level. I have enjoyed many Club Levels at other Starwood properties in much larger cities such as Chicago, San Francisco and Seattle and this was by far the best amenities around. The beverage selection was top notch (NW microbrews, regional wines, cocktails, etc,) and the food was amazing. I was able to try many small plates during the evening that featured steak, seafood, chicken and vegetarian options. The continental breakfast was better than most and all food was served professionally as if I were at finely catered party.

The actual property was also great as it really lived up to its Luxury Collection status. Our room was eclectically decorated, the bathroom was finished with high-end materials and the lobby area was nicely appointed. My only knock was we had an interior room with an atrium view, which although it was unique and may be exactly what some folks like, was a shame because Portland is such a beautiful city. All around a great hotel stay.