“Awesome Hotel”

Ranked #21 of 142 Hotels in Portland
GreenLeadersGold level
“Awesome Hotel”
Reviewed October 1, 2009

I recently spent one night at the Nines Hotel in Portland on a business trip. The hotel is cenrally located in Portland. When I arrived my bags were immediately taken and my care valeted. Check in is on the 8th floor. When I checked in I was warmly greeted and was told that I was upgraded to a suite ( room 927).

The service at this hotel was excellent. Staff was very friendly and efficient,

My room was wonderful. It had a very large living room , a large bedroom with king bed and a huge bathroom. The room was very clean. There were two large plasma tvs. The hotel also has complimentary wireless which is nice for business travelers. The bed was very comfortable and I slept very well after my 6 hour flight from New York.

The hotel has a modern fitness facility which is more than adequate.

By the way, parking was $32 for the night, way pricey I thought for Portland. Just an fyi

I honestly wish I could have stayed longer at this hotel. Next time I come to Portland I will definitely stay at The Nines. The hotel was also very reasonably priced.

1 Thank KPMGTraveller

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (728)
Los Angeles
Reviewed October 1, 2009

The Nines was amazing. I was truly surprised by how chic & charming the hotel was. The decor was great, the service was great, the amenities & staff were all spot on. There is a rooftop bar overlooking the city, a library w/ a pool table, a trendy restaurant, free internet, a business center, a fully furnished fitness center, & the rooms were just spectacular. I am still in awe at how great my stay was...I'd definitely stay here again if I am ever in Portland again.

• Stayed September 2009, traveled with family
1 Thank HollyLA
Reviewed September 28, 2009

This was my first trip to Portland and if I ever return I will certainly be staying at The Nines. It is in the perfect location downtown. The Max train was $2.30 from the airport and stopped right in front of the hotel.
The rooms match the photos on the website exactly and I found the room to be very spacious and modern. The trendy decor reminded me of the style of typical W Hotel rooms. Free wireless internet in the rooms is a nice plus as most Starwood hotels charge for access.

Reviewed September 27, 2009

We checked in late on a Saturday night for a 3-night stay (8/29-9/1). We were able to take advantage of a 3rd night free promotion, so the price was great. Not sure I'd feel the same if we'd paid full price for all 3 nights. And we are Starwood members, so we ended up with a corner room facing west and north out over Pioneer Courthouse Square. I agree with other reviews that interior rooms are probably rather noisy (the hallways definitely are).

We arrived around midnight - during a wedding reception. The street-level entrance was overrun and there were no attendants to welcome hotel guests. We found our way to the hotel lobby (actually on the 8th floor of the building) and had no problems with check-in. Service and staff at The Nines were excellent and we highly recommend the hotel - especially Adam, who went out of his way to offer us the "nice guy chocolate covered strawberries" for our honeymoon stay, and gave us some great ideas for hotels in the other cities we were traveling to. The location is perfect: transportation right outside, close to everything, and great views.

The room was beautiful and the amenities were luxe. The bathroom had a great shower (though no tub) with extra towels and toiletries. We wound up in a room with two queen beds, which was fine - it seems like those rooms tend to be bigger - with a sitting area and a desk.

The lobby and lounge were great: After a day trip to Mount St. Helens we had a drink and used the free wifi while planning our evening. We were sad to miss the Departures lounge though ... All of the reviews say it's a must-see, but it's closed Sunday and Monday, the days/nights we were there. That should really be reconsidered - even if it's only open for afternoon cocktails.

We wound up keeping our rental car for one of the nights we were there, but we passed on the $35 valet parking and used the Smart Park at 3rd and Alder (just down the block).

Overall a fantastic property, an excellent stay, and we will definitely be back!

• Stayed August 2009, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Holdardo
Santa Barbara
Reviewed September 26, 2009

I wanted to like this hotel after all the hype and the email I received from my concierge prior to my arrival. A nice touch.

• Stayed September 2009, traveled as a couple
Japan
Reviewed September 26, 2009

Every traveller knows that the difference between a good and great hotel is the staff and this hotel still has some places it needs to work on before its a great hotel.

1) As witnessed by their clothing of black suits, the managers/supervisors are by far the weakest point. Arrogant and unsmiling they make you feel sorry for their employees- who, for the most part are friendly and attentive. Come on folks, you are not entitled to be rude because you are wearing a suit.
2) Room service- from the initial call to the delivery was great.
3) As everyone says- DO NOT GET AN ATRUIM ROOM even if they are cheaper. They are loud, have poor lighting and smell bad.
4) The products in the bathroom are nice and the TV is refreshingly huge.

Overall, I was somewhat letdown by the whole experience because they make themselves out to be a 5-star hotel in Portland, but really they are about a 3.5 because of inconsistencies. To be honest, I cancelled my next reservation there just because I know other hotels downtown the same, if not better job for less.

So, The Nine, you would do well going forward If your arrogant managers take their cues from their employees rather than the other way around. Best of luck to you.

1 Thank boxfan88
WEastCoast
Reviewed September 25, 2009

I returned to the Nines, this time on business and found that my last experience wasn't just a fluke. The staff was once again very accommodating and the concierge had some great recommendations for where to eat. (Be sure to check out Biwa for some great asian food). I got a nice note from Adam Marlin at the hotel after my last post but he was not working the desk when we arrived. As my boss was an SPG member she received an upgraded room and spoke highly of the coffee service in the club lounge.

We stayed one night and had to catch an early flight. When we missed our trolley to the airport, one of the doormen (I believe his name was Ralph) ordered us a cab which arrived less than two minutes later. Needless to say we made the flight. Thnks Ralph!

All in all a great stay at a great place. I look forward to visiting The Nines again soon.

1 Thank LexLux