3,268 results
All reviewsurban farmerthe club loungerooftop bardeparture restaurantdeparture loungepioneer squaredepartment storeturn down servicetop floorconcierge deskcity viewbeautiful hotelheart of downtowncorner roomvalet parkingvalet servicefitness center
Reviewed May 26, 2009

I really wanted to like The Nines, a lot!

I am a Starwood Plat so I was "Upgraded" to the club level Floor 12 which gives you access to the Club Lounge, which did have some decent food to snack on. My room was extremely small, i have stayed at over 75 different Starwood Hotels and this was the smallest room I have seen. The Bed was comfy, the bathroom tiny.

The Nines can't decide whether they want to be a Business Hotel or a Ultra Hip Urban Oasis. The Departure Lounge is beautiful and filled with a Loud crowd and a odd dress code as we saw older men in shorts with flip flops on, one with a big stain on his old white T-shirt, while a friend who was coming to meet us was told he could not wear his very nice fedora inside. This is a Hot Bar in Portland just the way Ghost Bar was when The W Dallas Victory opened.

Bottom Line:
Business Travelers: Sun thru Thur
Party People: Fri and Sat

Just hope you don't get the teeny tiny room I received. Will I be back? No, I will go back to The Westin Portland.

• Stayed: May 2009, traveled on business
1  Thank CalP0ly
Reviewed May 26, 2009

My husband and I who live locally decided to spend a night at the Nine's. We had heard so much hype about it. We paid for an upgraded room ($149 vs. $129) for a "city view." Our city view was a view of the street below and the hotel next door. The room, while beautifully decorated...was very small. The bathroom was beautiful with nice marbling and fixtures.
The gym was the best part of the hotel.
We parked a block away at a local parking garage...and after getting validated at stores in the area ended up paying NOTHING for parking unlike the $30/night the hotel charges.
Overall, while the stay was pleasant, it was not anywhere near the hype.

• Stayed: May 2009, traveled as a couple
3  Thank yntbom
Reviewed May 23, 2009

I really did want to like this hotel and prove the negative reviews wrong. But, it's just not a great hotel. My room, unlike some others, was very very small. There was room for the bed with maybe 3 but not 4 feet from the sides of the bed to the walls. Believe me I don't need much space, but this was a small room. I paid the special rate so I was not that annoyed, but if I had paid a penny more, I would have been thoroughly annoyed. The desk told me it was the only available room -- maybe it was or maybe it wasn't.

The lobby had a minimal look and was not at all edgy -- if that was the attempt.

Room was not at all business friendly either. I did think the bathroom was quite nice though.

I have to agree with some of the others it's trying to be a 5 star and it is not. But it is a nice hotel, maybe a 4, but it also lacks 4 star ammenities.

I don't usually write this long a review, check my others, I'm a fair reviewer.

• Stayed: May 2009, traveled on business
2  Thank nycgeorgian
Reviewed May 22, 2009

Great location and a fantastic room. We booked through an online broker for $99/night. Valet parking is $32/night, which definitely adds up but is still a pretty good deal. Great drinks and service in the bar (on 8th floor). We had an atrium view for two weekend nights and it was not loud at all...maybe the drinks made it quieter. :)

• Stayed: May 2009, traveled as a couple
Reviewed May 20, 2009

Ive read a ton of reviews about The Nines and heard all the buzz around the city so decided I needed to check it out for myself. My experience was exactly what I expected, likely because I went into it knowing what the hotel was trying to be.

It is meant to be a trendy, art focused hotel that also offers all the amenities and services of a luxury hotel; it is NOT meant to be a "fun for the family" destination. Much like Westins seem to be aimed at business travel and Ws at the young and swanky, the Nines is for people who WANT the nightlife, the amenities to be a phone call and a smile away, and even a little bit of buzz. Im sure they do their best to accomodate any guest type they get, but of course youre not going to enjoy your stay if youre trying to squeeze your family in a room intended for one or looking for peace and quiet in a hotel that boasts a CENTRAL location in the middle of downtown.

As for me, I had a blast. With the exception of heavy elevator traffic forcing a bit of a wait to get down to street level, I dont have a single reasonable complaint. I came to check in around 1:00 and the room needed a quick inspection - they promised me 5-10 and as I was 2 hours early I was excited to hear that; it even gave me a chance to tour the other facilities on the 8th floor. My room was an interior, and not because I wasnt a VIP or some such foolishness, its because I wanted that cheaper rate. Everyone wants the river/Mt Hood views, of course theyre going to charge for it; how else are they going to accomodate an admittedly frugal local like myself and a big spending NYer fairly?

I had dinner at their new restaurant "Departure" which was every bit of amazing. I got all the view I needed up there and was pleased that I could have a drink (or three) outside but still IN my hotel - no cab for me! Overall a great experience, everything I expected it to be!

• Stayed: May 2009, traveled solo