“niche lodging”

GreenLeadersGold level
Portland, Oregon
“niche lodging”
Reviewed February 22, 2009

My husband and I just returned from a stay at The Nines. Overall, we had a great time, and would return again given the right deal. We also stayed with the $99 promotion, in an atrium room. Our room was on the 9th floor, just above the restaurant. We are not late night people, and it seemed the music was turned down by 11pm, so for us, the atrium location was fine. We went to happy hour at the Urban Farmer and found it fabulous. Everyone was very nice and accommodating, and for $3- no complaints about the rum punch or martinis! We enjoyed our snacks and the great ambience.
The rooms are well appointed with only a couple of drawbacks. We also inquired about a coffeemaker (saw on here that someone got one!) and were told if we wanted coffee, we could get it from the restaurant. Not a major thing, but an annoyance. Stumptown's great, but I want a cup in my robe, in my room, without having to talk to someone first to get it. Also, the pillows were awful. This was the first 4 star hotel I've stayed in that didn't have extra pillows in the closet- only 2. Plus the pillows were a down type, so squished down alot. As a physical therapist, I always tell my patients to throw those away! Lastly, the decorative pillows had what appeared to be drool stains- maybe someone else was hurting for good support.
Overall, we had a great time, the staff were great, we'll be back at the very least for a happy hour cocktail and nibbles at Urban Farmer (as well as a game of pool in the library!). If you've stayed other places in town and are curious, check it out. You won't regret it.

• Stayed February 2009, traveled as a couple
3 Thank shelly97202

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (724)
Incline Village, NV
Reviewed February 22, 2009

There were some good things about this hotel, but for us, they didn't outweigh the problems....

The goods: Nice,modern decor, excellent valet/bell staff, comfy bed, upgraded (complimentary) alcohol in the 12th floor concierge level (but we don't drink)....

The bads: We are Platinum in Starwood, yet they "upgraded" us to an itty-bitty windowless (to the outside world) room. We know there were much larger rooms by looking at the "Emergency Exit" route map, so why give one of your best customers a crappy room? To be fair, the bellman must have told the front desk we weren't happy, because they called up about two hours later and offered to move us. My husband didn't want to move as we had already unpacked. Why not just give us the good room off the bat? I guess we didn't look "hip" enough.... Parking is "Valet Only" at $32/day. The restaurant looked nice, but also was very pricey. The complimentary "European" breakfast on the 12th floor was a nice selection of white carbs (no wheat) and smoked salmon (no fruit, no other protein). My husband can't eat carbs (he is diabetic) so we had to go out...

IF you decide to give the Nines a try, DON'T let them put you in one of the inside itty-bitty rooms! Ask for an outside room as they are MUCH larger!

Portland has a nice selection of hotels (Hilton, Westin, Embassy Suites). There are better deals out there. Good luck!

• Stayed January 2009, traveled on business
2 Thank Cool_Aunt
the_Nines, General Manager at The Nines, a Luxury Collection Hotel, Portland, responded to this review, March 5, 2009
Thank you for your feedback.

We understand how important our Platinum guests are and offer complimentary upgrades to the club floor and/or to suites, based upon availability. The historic architecture of our building includes different guestroom configurations. I am sorry that the room you reserved was not to your satisfaction.

Our club lounge offers light European fare and endeavors to meet a variety of dietary needs, while providing new and unique choices on a daily basis. All beverages, including alcohol are complimentary.

I apologize that we did not meet expectations and would enjoy a chance to discuss this with you further, in hopes of welcoming you back in the future.

I can be reached at 503.222.9996.

Sincerely

Seattle, Washington
Reviewed February 21, 2009

I reserved a room for two adults and two children (7 and 9). Upon check in we were told that they didn't have any doubles available only kings. They didn't have pull out sofas (or any sofas at all) and that cots were available but they wouldn't fit in a standard king. We were offered an upgrade for $70 or the kids would have to sleep on the floor - ridiculous!

Upon entering the room, while it was very pretty, one of the throw pillows on the chaise was covered in dirt and the beds appeared to have been sat on. The bathroom was huge (easily 13' x 8') and all it had was a TINY tub and a very narrow counter with one sink. If you're going to put in a bathroom that large, make it worth while!

The one good thing I have to say is that the parking attendants were very friendly and on top of their game.

• Stayed February 2009, traveled with family
3 Thank flipthedog
I’m glad we had a chance to speak over the phone and appreciate the candid conversation. I look forward to personally welcoming you back so you can experience the Nines hospitality and service we are known for.

If you have any further questions or if I can be of further service, please call me at 503.222.9996.

Idaho
Reviewed February 19, 2009

My husband and I stayed here for New Year's Eve night. We loved it! We had a room that faced the outside instead of the inside atrium, and I think that was to our advantage, since there was a big party going on in the atrium for New Years. We absolutely loved the decor. We didn't drive to the Nines, so we have no input about the valet service or anything, but from what I could tell it was incredible. The bellhops are sharp as tacks and very quick to serve you. We watched them receive notice of someone's check out, be handed the keys to the car, and they would go RUNNING about three or four blocks away to retrieve the car for the customer so that it would be waiting for them by the time they made it down to the entrance of the hotel. It was incredible to watch. The bellhops look like they are all out of college or in their last few years of college. Clean cut and handsome. They literally run to your car to help you into it or out of it and shelter you from the rain. It was impressive.

The beds were heavenly. The tv was huge, a flat panel 42 incher I think. The room service was timely and good, but VERY expensive for us.

The bathroom is spacious, I took a bath while there but ran out of hot water mid way into it. They have really great toiletries and robes (not free) as well as slippers you can keep for free. Top brands.

Their lobby is unbelievable. It's very edgy and trendy. It's a big open atrium space with these cubical type things which house couches and coffee tables where groups can meet in a more private format. While we were enjoying the lobby we were offered drinks or food. It's important for the rest of my review to understand that we were not inside their restaurant. We were simply sitting in the lobby enjoying ourselves. But they offer you a menu and drinks if you like. Since this was mid-afteroon we ordered some fries and two drinks. The fries we ordered were anything but just fries. They were superb. They were seasoned and cooked to perfection. I ordered a cocktail and they didn't skimp on the alcohol. I wasn't expecting to get buzzed by it, but I was thoroughly tipsy by the time I finished it to my surprise. The waitress was a bit spacey. She was sweet, but gave us the wrong menu to begin with. Then when the actual chef came out and explained that because it was New Year's they had a specific menu, and the waitress had provided us with the wrong menu, that he would pay for our food himself. So we were really patient and kind about it. We're laid back like that. But the waitress came back with our receipt and everything was charged to it. So we informed her that the chef had offered to pay for our meal. She was kind and changed parts of it, but we still ended up paying for both of our drinks which were the most expensive part. Since our "meal" consisted of the two drinks and fries, the fries were covered and the rest wasn't. We didn't bother her to correct it, because we felt bad about the whole thing, even though we shouldn't have. Overall, I felt the lack of communication was a big problem for the servers. Just something to consider if you're a particularly picky type of person when it comes to your food. We had similar issues with our room service. I simply wanted milk with my breakfast, but there was no option for just milk in the drinks categories, so I circled the milk option under the cereal category, but didn't pick a cereal. I was hoping I'd get milk and no cereal, but I got milk and ALL of the cereal choices PLUS my waffles. So we got charged for that too. Maybe we just aren't up front enough. Who knows. But make sure to be specific. Also, when we ordered a chicken dish via room service they gave it to us without the vegetables that the menu said would come with it. $40 and two chicken breasts. I was sort of irked about it at this point. Anyway, I suppose the moral of the story is, be persistent. They're a new hotel and haven't gotten their kinks worked out as of yet I suppose. And don't get room service!

Other than that, we loved the vibe of the hotel. The business room was exceptional from what we saw. The work out room was small but good and clean. The rooms made me want to stay in all day (which we sort of did anyways!)

We loved the Nines despite the food service issues, which weren't really that big of a deal anyways.

I would recommend this hotel to 20 something's, and wouldn't recommend it to people with young kids (it is not a friendly environment to kids in my opinion. Way too many decorative things to mess with in the rooms and lobby.) I also wouldn't recommend it to people who prefer victorian style and hate modern styles. This place is about as modern as it gets.
Enjoy!

• Stayed January 2009, traveled as a couple
2 Thank NevaraIdaho
Oregon City, Oregon
Reviewed February 16, 2009

Loved this place so much, booked it again before I left for a return trip 2 weeks later. I am very spoiled and downtown Portland has some great 5 star hotels but I can't imagine staying anywhere else. From valet (Mark, Andrew & Ricoh are awesome) to front desk, servers in lobby and Urban Farmer; all were attentive and friendly. The Nines is stylish, has a fun vibe, amazing location but at the same time comfortable. However, what really put me "over the top" is their fitness center...wow. See you next weekend!

• Liked — location, style, staff, the place and people welcomed you
  • Disliked — I couldn't stay longer
  • Stayed January 2009, traveled as a couple
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
1 Thank QueenLeia
Las Vegas, NV
Reviewed February 10, 2009

Modern, glamorous hotel. Awesome atrium. Staff a little slow. Restaurant good for drinks and socializing. Stay away from the food! There are lots of good restaurants in Portland. If you don't want to pony up for the town car/limo they have parked outside prepare to wait a long time for a taxi. Coming and going is a problem. The hotel is on a one way/one lane street right next to the train. Getting picked up or dropped off could take a while. Unlike most hotels they have no taxi stand making venturing out of the hotel all the more of a hassle. Their Limo drivers drive Lincoln Town cars yet charge close to limo rates. I started calling a taxi from my room and had him meet me up the street in a more accessible area. Neat idea, horrible location.

• Stayed January 2009, traveled on business
4 Thank GoldJewelry
the_Nines, General Manager at The Nines, a Luxury Collection Hotel, Portland, responded to this review, February 12, 2009
Thank you for the feedback.

I apologize that our restaurant service fell short of your expectations. As our food has been well received by our customers, I was surprised by your comment. I’d like to know more about your experience so I can share with our team.

Our hotel location, next to the MAX light rail, provides a “green” option for our guests. For those who prefer taxi or town car service, both can be provided through our concierge or bell staff. While we do not maintain a taxi stand, we do maintain a direct connect to Radio Cab which alerts all cabs at once that a guest is waiting at the Nines. For those who visit us via automobile, complimentary bottles of water are provided to all overnight valet guests.

I hope we can speak further and invite you to contact me, at your convenience.

503.222.9996
Monmouth
Reviewed February 8, 2009

How often can you spend the night in a brand new 4 star hotel? And for $99.00? This place is great! From the door people to reception to housekeeping, everyone has a smile and a professional attitude. Yes, the rooms are small, but exceedingly well appointed and with real attention to detail. Suggestions: 1) don't buy ANYTHING that is not included in the rate - we witnessed someone being charged $100.00 for a three lilly bouquet (yes, you read that correctly); 2) park at the Smart Park on 3rd and Alder - it's $8.50 for 24 hours on the weekends, and there is someone on duty at all times. Clearly the word is out. The hotel was completely full this past weekend, so go while you can at this price! The Nines is a real city hotel, with real city features. Yay for Portland!

Stayed February 2009, traveled on business