“I love this hotel, super posh.” 5 of 5 stars

The Nines, a Luxury Collection Hotel, Portland
Ranked #15 of 137 Hotels in Portland
GreenLeadersGold level
Kula
“I love this hotel, super posh.”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 29, 2014 via mobile

Great staff with all the top end amenities.
Just make sure to ask for a tub early in the booking, if that's your thing, as they do run out in this Eco friendly hotel.
I only stayed one night for business but I plan on returning with my husband to fully enjoy this hotel more fully.

• Stayed July 2014
      Rooms
      Cleanliness
    • 5 of 5 stars
MarcAdrar, Assistant General Manager at The Nines, a Luxury Collection Hotel, Portland, responded to this review, August 28, 2014
Dear zipgirl808,

Thank you for taking the time to share your experience! I am delighted to learn that you enjoyed your stay with us as a whole and we will look forward to welcoming you again soon. Additionally, please feel free to contact me directly to expand on your personal preferences (ie; shower versus tub/shower) as it would be my pleasure to customize your permanent guest profile. I am at your service!

Marc.Adrar@theNines.com

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (614)
Florence, Alabama
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 28, 2014

Best location in all of Portland. Staff is top notch. Rooms superb. If you are planning to visit Portland this is the place to stay! Macy's is literally next door and pioneer square straight out the front door. Wonderful property!

Dear khaden,

Thank you for your 5 star review! I am pleased to hear you enjoyed the property as a whole and that having Macy’s directly below us was an added bonus. We will look forward to welcoming you again soon.

St. Paul, MN
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 28, 2014 via mobile

We stayed at the Nines this past weekend. This hotel is in a great downtown location, customer service is superb and the investment to create this space impressive. But for $400 a night, a person should be able to get some sleep. Those booking this hotel who have sensitive hearing need to stay away from the lower floors and the rooms other than the back side because there are Light Rail lines that operate 18+ hours a day along the front and sides of this hotel. Our room was on the lowest floor (7) on the east side of the hotel. Most rooms are on higher floors up to 14. I expressed a concern about street noise when we checked and was told to 'try it for a night" given the hotel was fully booked. Between the low frequency noise from the light rail and the early morning trucks, our sleep was poor. I inquired about moving rooms the next day but never received a response from the front desk. I should have been more persistent. If a guest with sensitive hearing wants to avoid our experience, insist on the top floors, the back of the hotel or to be safest, the interior rooms (on higher floors as well) adjoining the atrium. Our Nines experience was impacted in a major way by this situation. I sense the front desk folks know this problem, but so many of their rooms face these 3 streets, they probably only respond to the major complainers. I should have in retrospect. $400 a night should buy reasonable sleep.

Stayed July 2014, traveled as a couple
Dear PeterStPaul,

Thank you for taking the time to detail your recent experience. We regret to hear that we did not meet your expectations during your recent stay at the Nines and that the follow-through was not there. This lack of service is not of standard at the Nines and we will hope to improve for you as well as our future guests. We do have a variety of room types, sizes and locations and I would like to extend my services to you if you would like to return in the future. It would be my pleasure to assist in confirming a room best suited to your preferences.

Wall Township, New Jersey
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 27, 2014

I stayed in room 802 while in Portland on business. The staff were accommodating in giving me a room earlier than the normal check-in since I arrived very early in the morning. Unfortunately, the gentleman at the front desk did not do a proper inspection and I was left without a number of items in my rooms that others had (for instance, a robe and slippers --- everyone at our meeting was comparing what was missing from our rooms that we normally get at a Starwood resort) and neglected to give me specific information (such as the free wifi for our group and the sign-in). On Friday and Saturday nights, it gets loud and if you are from the east coast (and going to bed at an earlier hour) you will not like this room or any others that face Morrison St. The staff overall was very nice and the room I had was very clean (very small also). Would I stay here again? No, what you receive is not worth the money charged.

Green Features: I had no problems with their practices. The shampoo, conditioner, and body wash provided in the shower were of a very high quality and I did not miss the little sample bottles one bit.
  • Stayed July 2014, traveled on business
    • 3 of 5 stars
    • 3 of 5 stars
      Rooms
1 Thank Luvstotravel1962
Dear Luvstotravel1962,

Thank you for taking the time to detail your recent experience. We regret to hear that we did not meet your expectations during your recent stay and hope that you may allow us an opportunity to redeem ourselves in the future. The lack of service you received is unacceptable and it is not our standard at the Nines. I would like to extend my services to you if you would like to discuss further or if you choose to return in the future.

Mahwah, New Jersey
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 27, 2014

This is a beautiful hotel decorated in a modern style with Tiffany blue and mauve colors, crystal chandeliers and polished white marble. It's in a very convenient location for both walking and mass transit. Valet parking includes in/out privileges and they ask that you give them a bit of notice before you want your car as the lot is not within the hotel building. It's kind of cool that this silver LEED certified hotel is housed in an historic building (the Meier & Frank building) and is located on top of Macy's, with its own entrance, of course.

With the exception of only one staff member at breakfast, everyone is extremely service-oriented, upbeat, and professional. Both restaurants were terrific. Our king deluxe room was a good size, with a lovely Tiffany blue velvet couch, desk/chair, large TV, decent nightstands on both sides of the bed, large white marble bathroom with stainless steel sink, and closet. There was a mini fridge in the room that was stocked with hotel-priced items, but you could take them out and put your own beverages in, which we did. We very much appreciate the efforts toward sustainability, like having both a trash can and a recycling bin in the room and offering bath products that were more on the natural side of things than you usually encounter at hotels. The a/c worked well. We were able to get a decent AAA rate (for a downtown hotel) that included parking.

While mostly this was a comfortable room, I would like to see as much effort focused on the practical nature of the room as there was on the style of the room. While the room was generally very clean, the throw pillows had a few stains on them. The lampshades on each of the nightstands had a layer of dust on their tops, which you could only see when they were turned on (I told the front desk about the dust at checkout as I didn't want them to come and spew dust on our bedding during our stay). Although there were two of us, housekeeping set the room up for one person (one robe, one chocolate and one bottle of water at turndown). Ther is not much storage space for clothes - no actual dresser. In trying to reduce waste (I assume), in the shower are large pump bottles of shower products, but the pumps didn't work very well (also told the front desk at checkout). The shower had one of those old fashioned vinyl liners in it - not sustainable and also it easily kinked, leaking water out of the tub. Most importantly, there was no place at all to hang a towel in the entire bathroom. Not only does this make reusing them for sustainability's sake impractical, but in getting out of the shower you had to walk across a polished marble floor dripping wet to retrieve a towel from a shelf under the counter, which was annoying and also a bit dangerous.

The negatives to this place could all easily be remedied, and I surely hope they do. This hotel has a lot going for it and fixing these issues would make it really fantastic.

Green Features: We are in full support of their sustainability efforts but in my review I mention some things that could be done to improve them.
1 Thank Anne C
Dear Anne C,

Thank you for your 5 star review! I am pleased to hear you enjoyed your experience overall, however, I must apologize for the inconvenience caused to you by the lack of available storage in the room and the turndown service being set for just one person. Please know that we will consider this feedback and we will hope to welcome you again in the future.

Sacramento, California
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 26, 2014

I booked this hotel with AMEX Platinum travel. Everything was ok till I received a confirmation E-mail from this hotel. Few days later I double checked the E-mail and I realized for the first time ever that the hotel rate on the E-mail was about $60 higher than the rate Amex had on their confirmation E-mail. I didn't like the fact that the rate didn't match. I called the hotel and the front desk said he had no Idea why my rate didn't match! I called Amex Travel they called the hotel and they said the same thing that the hotel rate is different and higher than the rate Amex originally booked me (same room). I called hotel myself again and told the front desk staff that I have the Amex E-mail in front of me with rate and room type ( as part of fine hotel and resort) then he was extremely rude and unprofessional. His tone of language was unacceptable. I sent Amex an E-mail to cancel this reservation. It's not about the money, its about that they have no right to change my rate if its confirmed. Unacceptable

Stayed July 2014, traveled solo
5 Thank Michael I
Dear Michael I,

Thank you for taking the time to provide feedback regarding your recent experience. I truly appreciate your perspective and would like the opportunity to discuss this with you further at your convenience. I have done my research in regards to what may have gone wrong and I assure you this is not standard at the Nines. We hope for the opportunity to welcome you in the future to redeem your current expectations and I am at your service if I may assist.

Calgary, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 26, 2014

Got a great deal on hotwire for this hotel, staying one night and wishing we could stay for longer. The staff was super helpful and pleasant. The rooms themselves were well appointed and clean, with great bathrooms. Location is prime, with close access to great restaurants, bars, and shops -- loved that it was short walking distance from the popular Pearl District.

Dear WesternTravelGal,

Thank you for your 5 star review! I am pleased to hear you enjoyed the property and that you found the location ideal. We hope to welcome you again soon.