“Five Star Staff”

The Nines, a Luxury Collection Hotel, Portland
Ranked #22 of 144 Hotels in Portland
GreenLeadersGold level
Reviewed June 8, 2014

I recently completed a 4night stay at The Nines. I stay in many hotels around the world. In my opinion the staff at this hotel, from the housekeepers to the management is 5 star.

My husband became ill on arrival. When I realized that he would need medical attention, the staff went above and beyond to help me. From quickly having a wheelchair, to having our car waiting, to printing driving directions to the hospital. This all happened in a matter of minutes. Josie, our concierge even stopped at the hospital on her way home that night to check on us. Housekeeping went in and cleaned the room so it would be clean when I got back. The next morning I received an email from the manager, Mia, making sure there wasn't anything I needed.

I must say that the rooms are nothing special. The bed is very comfortable. The rooms are small compared to other 5 stars I've stayed in. I specifically asked to have a room that looked out instead of into the atrium as I read those rooms were noisy. Our room was very quiet. The bathroom was nice and had a vanity so I could sit and put on makeup and do my hair. The bath products were high end. Robe and slippers are always nice and make you feel pampered. And there was turndown service with fresh ice, bottled water and chocolate at the bedside.

The food at the Hungry Farmer was very good. We ate there only for breakfast but it was presented nicely and very flavorful.

As my opinion of a place is usually based on the total experience, I give this hotel a 5 star rating.
I hope to return again some day and not spend half my week at the hospital. Until then I hope The Nines continues doing what it does best, providing excellent stomper service.

A special thanks to Josie and Mike. Also John our valet.

• Stayed: June 2014, traveled on business
1  Thank Debra V
MarcAdrar, Assistant General Manager at The Nines, a Luxury Collection Hotel, Portland, responded to this reviewResponded June 12, 2014

Thank you for taking the time to share your experience and commend our team. We appreciate your acknowledgement of the personalized service you received and it will be my pleasure to share your compliments with Josie, Mike and John. We hope that your husband is now well and we hope to welcome you again for your next escape in our City of Roses.

There are newer reviews for The Nines, a Luxury Collection Hotel, Portland

Reviewed June 7, 2014 via mobile

The Nines is a very cool hotel that takes up the 8th thru the 14th floors of a building. It has a hopping bar/restaurant on the top floor with outside bar and eating options. There is also a large covered courtyard that half the rooms look out into that has an additional restaurant. Great music is played throughout the hotel. We were a bit surprised by the cost of dinner, but the breakfast was reasonable and very good.

Stayed: June 2014, traveled with friends

Thank you for choosing to be our guest. We will hope for the opportunity to welcome you again in the future for another hip Portland experience.

Reviewed June 6, 2014

Visited for long weekend with a friend. Made a guess of location when booking, and I think I did a pretty good job. Location was great the perfect home base after wandering the city. Restaurant at the top has a great view of the city, but set up more for that 'we're so hip we've got to be here' crowd.
Rooms clean, comfortable with all the regular stock of a great hotel.
Would recommend highly! But must admit, price hurt a bit. :)

• Stayed: May 2014, traveled with friends

Thank you for choosing to be our guest. We appreciate you sharing your compliments of the Nines. Perhaps you will have an opportunity to visit us again in the future outside of peak season? It would be our pleasure to welcome you again for your next escape in the city.

Reviewed June 5, 2014

Wow - this is the only place in Portland I will stay. I was treated very well, the room was appointed beautifully and the amenities were fantastic. Like the lime/lemon/basil fresh water in the gym along with complimentary ear buds for your iPod and cool cloths for post work-out - what a nice touch. Perfectly located in the Pioneer District and walkable to everything Portland has to offer. The staff were top notch and non-pretentious. Thank you.

Room Tip: I had an atrium view room which turned out to be perfect as it was quiet!
  • Stayed: May 2014, traveled with friends

Thank you for taking the time to recommend our property! We are pleased to be your preferred hotel in Portland. We value your feedback and attention to detail and we hope to welcome you again soon.

Reviewed June 5, 2014

Beautiful rooms and great lobby in this downtown hotel. Service was outstanding from the help curbside to the front desk. We had access to the club lounge which was a great area to relax. The restaurant "Urban Farmer" was the tops! Food was excellent! We ate breakfast and dinner there during our stay. We will definitely go back and highly recommend this place!

• Stayed: May 2014, traveled as a couple

Thank you for your 5 star review! I am pleased to hear you enjoyed the property as a whole. We will look forward to welcoming you again.

Reviewed June 4, 2014

The Nines has many strengths but is not quite up to the standards of a 1st class 5 star hotel. A little more attention to the details would go a long way. TV remote that didn't work, shower soap dispenser that didn't work, towels that were less than luxurious and no coffee service in the room were the minor disappointments we had on a recent stay. On the other hand, the location is great, the room itself was well appointed and the service at the in-hotel restaurant (Urban Farmer) was fantastic. Service at the from desk was attentive and friendly.

Room Tip: Not sure. We booked through a 3rd party web site so not sure if that is why our room was a little sm...
  • Stayed: June 2014, traveled as a couple
1  Thank gbscone

I appreciate you for taking the time to share your experience and for recommending our property. Please accept my apologies for our failure to meet your expectations as a 1st class 5 star hotel. We will consider your comments and do our best to improve for you as well as our future guests. Please do not hesitate to contact me if you choose to return in the future as it would be our pleasure to welcome you back for an opportunity to redeem your current expectations.

Reviewed June 2, 2014

The Nines is a special place. Beautiful white and aqua furnishings in the rooms, convenient downtown location, and one of the best hotel lobbies in town. Just going with a friend to the atrium lobby for coffee or drinks is a guaranteed good time. The rooms are tastefully decorated without going over into "too fancy.” A friend and I spent New Year's night (not Eve) there for a treat and had a Groupon that gave us access to the Lounge level, which I highly recommend: overstuffed chairs, complimentary snacks and drinks except hard liquor - what I imagine to be similar to an old-fashioned British gentlemen's club. The atrium lobby just off the main hotel lobby is spacious with a four-or five-story ceiling and separate seating areas if you want a little privacy. There's also a library with a billiard table off the atrium. The hotel is at the top of the Macy's building (thus the name, which comes from the saying, "dressed to the nines”) and across the street from what is known as Portland's living room, Pioneer Courthouse Square. It's on the light rail line and close to restaurants, coffee shops, other clothing stores, the public library, and an independent movie house, the Living Room Theater, as well as within easy walking distance of Powell's City of Books. Another plus is the staff; they’re friendly and helpful, not stuffy. Even though I already live in Portland, I want to go there again for some special occasion.

Room Tip: Try for one facing south, overlooking Pioneer Courthouse Square, especially Thanksgiving through New...
  • Stayed: January 2014, traveled with friends
1  Thank Carmen F
MarcAdrar, Assistant General Manager at The Nines, a Luxury Collection Hotel, Portland, responded to this reviewResponded June 4, 2014

Many thanks on your comments and for acknowledging the exceptional service that our team has provided. I truly appreciate you for taking the time to share your experience and for recommending our property. Please let me know if I may assist in the future with any special occasions.