“Beautiful, modern and annoying”

The Nines, a Luxury Collection Hotel, Portland
Ranked #26 of 144 Hotels in Portland
GreenLeadersGold level
Reviewed October 30, 2013

The Nines beautiful, something I need to keep reminding myself. It is one of those form over function hotels that tend to provide more annoyance than comfort. Don’t get me wrong – it’s quiet and modern in that jarring kind of French Regency meets the W way and a lot of people love it. But spending all that money on renovations and not taking the traveler into account is not just confusing to me, it makes me annoyed. Examples: towels are not within reach of the shower, the bathroom is far too dim to put on makeup, it took me 10 minutes to find the makeup mirror’s on/off switch which provided about as much light as a candle, and while there is a light in the in-room safe there isn’t a light in – or near – the closet. On the upside, the rooms are quiet, with heavenly beds and lovely linens. And the Urban Farmer restaurant on the 8th floor has the best oatmeal I’ve ever eaten in my life. The Nines seems popular with the in crowd, so if that’s important to you, it may be your best bet in Portland. Me? I’m staying at the Westin.

4  Thank TravelinSusan2010
FredKleisner, General Manager at The Nines, a Luxury Collection Hotel, Portland, responded to this reviewResponded November 5, 2013

Thank you for taking the time to provide this feedback. As disappointing as it is to hear, we view this as an opportunity to improve the operations of our property. We hope to welcome you again in the future to redeem your current expectations. Please feel free to reach out to me directly if you would like to discuss further.

Reviewed October 29, 2013

I booked a room for a last minute weekend getaway without really knowing anything about this hotel. It was such a pleasant surprise! The rooms were beautiful, the beds were heavenly, the location was perfect and the staff was wonderful. Quincy was our "go-to" guy for everything we needed. He suggested a couple good bar/restaurants that turned out to be a highlight of our trip! (check out THE SAUCEBOX for great cocktails and food). My next trip to PDX will definitely include a stay at the NINES!

• Stayed: October 2013, traveled with friends
FredKleisner, General Manager at The Nines, a Luxury Collection Hotel, Portland, responded to this reviewResponded October 31, 2013

Thank you so much for taking the time to send us your feedback. We truly appreciate your kind words as Quincy is a valuable asset to our team and it will be a pleasure to share your feedback with him. We look forward to welcoming you again in the future.

Reviewed October 28, 2013

We stayed at the Nines for a weekend getaway in Downtown PDX and enjoyed it immensely. Everyone at the hotel provided excellent service and it is located within walking distance of many things. We ordered room service and our daughter loved the "farmer's fries". We are looking forward to going back in the near future.

Room Tip: We had a suite on the 10th floor with a view of downtown. Very nice and also very quiet.
  • Stayed: October 2013, traveled with family

Thank you for your 5 star review! I am so pleased to hear that you enjoyed your recent stay with us and we look forward to welcoming you again for another memorable experience!

Reviewed October 28, 2013

I booked The Nines through LuxuryLink, and initially was assigned a king room--in error--but after all that was straightened out, I ended up with a corner double queen(two of us were booked for a three-day midwifery conference), and it was beautiful, and quiet, with a massive bathroom, nice shower, but no tub. We sampled both The Urban Farmer and Departures restaurants,and both were excellent.

The staff was very pleasant and helpful, and gave us blankets to use instead of the heavy down duvets. The ice bucket was refilled every evening, and the little chocolates at turn-down were divine.

The Nines is in a great spot in Portland, easy to walk anywhere on the SW side. I would definitely stay here again, for a short stay, since there are no cooking facilities--or bathtubs in most of the rooms.

Room Tip: double corner room on 11th floor was well appointed, had lots of space,and was quiet.
  • Stayed: October 2013, traveled on business

Thank you for taking the time to share your experience. Please accept my apologies for the lack of a bathtub in the room. We would be pleased to note a bathtub as a preference for future stays and will be sure to make your future trips as fun.

Reviewed October 28, 2013

This Starwood luxury collection property is truly unique. Traveling quite a bit for both business and pleasure its not often that I can give top rating to a hotel. I was only on a quick overnight but the front desk was friendly and helpful, the rooms were uniquely decorated, the fitness center was well equipped and I enjoyed dining on the roof.

I hope I have the opportunity to stay again soon.

• Stayed: October 2013, traveled on business

You are always welcome to join us! Looking forward to seeing you again.

Reviewed October 28, 2013

"Live life to the nines" is a slogan from a bygone era reinvented at The Nines, a luxury hotel in Portland, OR. Having spent more than 999 nights in hotel rooms around the world for over 25 years, when there is an SPG Luxury Collection property in a city in my itinerary, I always try to stay there. Speaking at a science educators' conference in Portland, OR, this weekend, and weary from a recent trans-Pacific trip, I almost broke with tradition because The Nines is a cab ride (short) from the Convention Center--I am so glad I didn't!

I texted the hotel requesting to invite a small group of award-winning teachers to The Nines for a reception. With no notice and a full house, Lia S., Executive Assistant to the General Manager, texted me to say she would do whatever she could to make it happen. Michael at the front desk called my home to say they were on it! When I checked in, K at the front desk paged Lia and together they upgraded my room to one they'd needed for an in-house event of their own. (The Nines was celebrating its 5th anniversary with a gala event for local business friends and fans that evening.) My room had beautiful views of the city and David in room service delivered delicious appetizers trays for my guests the moment they arrived. For a great "living life to the nines" experience, I truly appreciated the Club Lounge privileges. They are worth the extra room fee if that is an option, but for SPG Platinum members they are complimentary. Megan, Judy and Club team, thanks!

Cool architecture, delicious food, attentive staff and the youthful energy that reverberates throughout The Nines will make this hotel always my first choice in Portland. Kudos "Nines" for never saying "no" to your guests' requests. This frequent traveler appreciates you all! My invitation to your gala Thursday night was icing on the cake-- literally. I loved joining the Portland business community and living life at The Nines for three days.

Stayed: October 2013, traveled on business

Many thanks on your red carpet comments! I truly appreciate you for taking the time to share your experience and for recommending our property while commending our team. I look forward to welcoming you again in the future. Please, do not be a stranger and always remember to life life to the Nines!

Reviewed October 27, 2013

I stayed at The Nines in August 2013 for one night on vacation. The location of The Nines is great, as I could walk to all of the downtown attractions (Powell's Books, Pioneer Square, Voodoo Doughnuts) in just a few minutes.

I got a corner room with two queen beds. The furnishings are high-end, with Tiffany blue throughout the room. The beds were comfortable with plenty of pillows and a duvet.

The bathroom was the best Starwood property bathroom I have ever had. The shower is very large, and the toiletries are high-end.

The front desk personnel were very friendly and provided helpful information about the hotel and the area.

If I get to Portland again, The Nines will be the first hotel that I consider.

Stayed: August 2013, traveled solo
FredKleisner, General Manager at The Nines, a Luxury Collection Hotel, Portland, responded to this reviewResponded October 30, 2013

Thank you for taking the time to share your experience. I am pleased to learn that you enjoyed the property throughout and we hope to welcome you again!