“Great First Class Hotel”

The Nines, a Luxury Collection Hotel, Portland
Ranked #23 of 146 Hotels in Portland
GreenLeadersGold level
Reviewed October 25, 2013

This is the best hotel we have ever stayed in Portland. Had room # 1243 on the Club Floor 12 and it was excellent. Complimentary breakfast, drinks, light food and desserts made the stay very pleasurable. The hotel staff is also outstanding and location downtown could not be better. I highly recommend this hotel.

• Stayed: October 2013, traveled with family
FredKleisner, General Manager at The Nines, a Luxury Collection Hotel, Portland, responded to this reviewResponded October 28, 2013

Thank you for taking the time to recommend our property. It would be my pleasure to welcome you again during your next visit to Portland!

Fred.kleisner@thenines.com

Write a ReviewReviews (3,001)

Reviewed October 24, 2013

I've stayed here multiple times in my trips to Portland before moving to the area. I stayed here for about a week in June when I was looking for apartments to move to Portland. It's in a great location because it's right off of the red line from the airport and is a nice oasis from the rest of downtown Portland. It is pricey, but I think the unique style and quality of the rooms are worth it for special occassions. It's within walking distance to a lot of restaurants and stores and its proximity to the Max and bus lines give you good access to the rest of Portland. Would recommend definitely if you want to stay in Portland in style.

Room Tip: Ask for a room overlooking Pioneer Square if you want some people watching.
  • Stayed: June 2013, traveled with friends

Thank you for taking the time to recommend our property. We hope to welcome you again in the future to celebrate any special occasions or perhaps a weekend staycation in the city.

Reviewed October 23, 2013 via mobile

Locarion is good for downtown things. A lot of homeless walking around though. Hotel is a rehabbed dept store, not flashy exterior, registration is on 2nd floor. Our room looked down into the interior of building, interesting. Room was nicely appointed, clean and comfortable. Better lighting in the bathrooms, please!! Restaurants are just ok, overpriced. The rooms are expensive, I've stayed in more upscale and less expensive rooms other places. Valet service is slow so leave extra time if you are on a deadline to meet!

• Stayed: October 2013
1  Thank karenrose314
FredKleisner, General Manager at The Nines, a Luxury Collection Hotel, Portland, responded to this reviewResponded October 25, 2013

Thank you for taking the time to detail your recent experience. I am disappointed to hear that we did not meet your expectations and I hope you will allow us another opportunity to exceed your expectations on any future trips.

Reviewed October 22, 2013

Although my stay was only two nights I loved this hotel! The design is modern without being pretentious and a lot of thought was put into the smallest touches. My only complaint was that the lighting in the bathroom is not bright enough.
The materials , bedding and color scheme were all conducive to a restful stay.

Stayed: October 2013, traveled on business

Thank you for taking the time to recommend our property. We are pleased to hear you enjoyed the historic aspects of the Meier & Frank building as we take great pride in our conservancy efforts and we hope to welcome you again during your next trip to our city of roses.

Reviewed October 22, 2013

Spent two nights in Portland. The hotel is centrally-located, near the train stop, and within walking distance of many restaurants, food trucks, and shops. Easy to get to the airport. A little hard to get a taxi on a Saturday night. The place is pretty popular, especially the bar on the roof top. Rooms were large and comfortable. Our only glitch was that we booked online at hotels.com about 2-3 weeks before our stay and the hotel did not have our reservations. Luckily there were available rooms and this didn't end up impacting our trip. Not sure if this was a problem with hotels.com or the hotel.

Stayed: July 2013, traveled with friends
FredKleisner, General Manager at The Nines, a Luxury Collection Hotel, Portland, responded to this reviewResponded October 24, 2013

Thank you for talking the time to provide this feedback. I am pleased to learn that you enjoyed your experience overall, however, I would like to apologize on behalf of the team that we did not deliver a more pleasant check in. Please feel free to reach out to me directly should you choose to return to the Nines in the future and it will be my pleasure to assist in reserving accommodations.

Reviewed October 22, 2013

The details. Oy' the details... The Nines is a beautiful boutique-style Hotel in the heart of downtown Portland with inundating swells of nods to 'fashion,' 'jewelry' and other pop-haute influences in design.

The majority of my experience was 'good.'
I had a particularly 'noisy' room which was situated with only a wall between some sort of a small kitchen or something... The Nines staff PROMPTLY moved me to another room without ANY question. I adore that.

Where I become a bit more 'discriminating,' is in regards to paying for 'CLUB LEVEL.'

The Nines has COMPLETELY missed the mark on Club Level.

I feel nullified for analyzing this particular aspect because I tend to stay at Club Level for 95% of all the hotels I regularly sojourn.

The Nines Club Level lacks some basic club level amenities:
--You will serve yourself. Club concierge/staff do not make rounds to the patrons. Nor do they prepare drinks
--Coffee is served in VERY TACKY plastic jug dispensers and tasted AWFUL.
--No espresso, cappuccino etc.
--Hors d'oeuvres were hilarious. Burnt pita chips and Hummus dip??????
--Breakfast is stale pastries, rolls and more plastic-dispensed coffee.
--You cannot help yourself to the printer, Concierge must assist you and see your private information if you need to print boarding passes etc.
(I will say, the gentleman who assisted me was very cordial and helpful though)
-Music. Where is the music? Everyone was SOOOOO uncomfortable in the club lounge becasue there was not even some light classical music in the background for everyone to hear your conversations. Very intrusive-feeling.
-Size. The Club Lounge is TINY. Doesn't feel special in any way. More like a guest room renovated at the last minute for a Club level idea.

My next complaint: NOISE
-Stay as high as you can in the hotel or you will be listening to bass-vibrating music until 11pm or midnight most nights. We were on the 12th floor (club level) and we had to turn on white noise machines on our phones. But you will still feel the bass rumbling and pounding as you try to get to sleep. And I'm honestly not sure if the noise was from the restaurant below of from 'Departures' above...

WiFi at this hotel is one of the best I have used at most hotels. It has a $20 premium(for 4-5 days) for the highest speed, but it was well worth it for me. I had wifi ALL OVER the hotel, even in the fitness facility.

Speaking of fitness facility... Good setup, HOWEVER.... Manager of The Nines: You need to keep water readily-available in the exercise room! You had a facility of 6 people exercising who may have needed cold water in an emergency. It is not only faux-pas for a workout area, but could be dangerous in the right conditions. (Coming from a Physician)

Front desk and Bellhop are the real stars at The Nines. Prompt, courteous, they remembered my name and even my title. Very nice touch. Doorman always received you, always held the doors and were very rarely too busy to cover their primary concern.

This should have been at least a 4.5 star stay, but these are important concerns to address.

Room Tip: Address the noise issue with the desk. Don't waste money on Club Level.
  • Stayed: October 2013, traveled as a couple
3  Thank BorisBalkan

Thank you for taking the time to detail your recent experience with us and I apologize that our property fell short of your expectations during this visit. Please feel free to contact me directly should you like to discuss this further. We hope for the opportunity to welcome you in the future to redeem your current expectation.

Reviewed October 22, 2013

Thank you very much for the upgrade to the beautiful rooms on the Club Level, and the amenities that you sent to us. We enjoyed our stay, and will highly recommend The Nines as the place to be. Jason, Aaron and the rest of the staff in the Club Lounge were very accommodating to us, as were the front desk staff and the curbside staff. The rooms are spacious and luxurious and the beds are so comfortable. We truly felt like we were "home" away from home. The Nines enjoys a very central location in the downtown Portland area, within steps of shopping, restaurants and major attractions.

We also enjoyed dinner upstairs at Departures, an Asian fusion cuisine, which has great food, and a fabulous venue. The restaurant is on the top floor and has two outside patio areas with spectacular views of the city, river and mountains.

We look forward to visiting Portland, again, soon, and will definitely come home, again to The Nines.

Room Tip: Definitely upgrade to the Club level, which offers a very warm, comfortable atmosphere, with your ow...
  • Stayed: October 2013, traveled with family

Thank you for choosing the Nines as your preferred hotel in Portland. We are pleased to hear of your exceptional visit and we look forward to welcoming you again soon.