3,295 results
All reviews urban farmer the club lounge rooftop bar departure restaurant departure lounge pioneer square department store turn down service top floor concierge desk city view beautiful hotel heart of downtown corner room valet parking valet service fitness center
Reviewed August 23, 2013

This is a nice hotel with great rooms and food, a great location, and very helpful staff. We had no complaints about any of these things. Concierges are very helpful in obtaining dinner reservations or adventure planning. Service in the Urban Farm restaurant is superb. Bellmen and valets are very nice. Really, you couldn't ask for a nicer and more helpful hotel staff.

HOWEVER, if you choose to stay here, you need to realize that this hotel is designed to appeal mostly to young adults (it could easily be branded as a W Hotel instead) and that can create some issues in itself. Loud parties in rooms, even very late at night, are not automatically stopped once hotel security is notified (warnings are issued instead). There is a fair degree of tolerance at this hotel for guest misbehavior that you simply do not see at other high-end hotels. I stay in hotels over 100 nights a year and I have never seen such lax attitudes on the part of hotel security toward very large and loud parties in guest rooms.

Additionally, because of the much younger demographic of guests at this hotel, hallway noise is also a problem at times including late at night. You get a lot of people returning to their rooms after having had a lot to drink and they can make a LOT of noise while in the lobby, in the elevators, and in the hallways on their way to their rooms. Unfortunately, this is a common occurrence here and the hotel is not pro-active at all in policing this situation.

Bottom line is that if a sound night of sleep is what you seek, you may want to consider staying elsewhere. It's a shame because this is an otherwise excellent hotel.

Room Tip: Request an outside room if possible.
1  Thank Jon5839
FredKleisner, General Manager at The Nines, a Luxury Collection Hotel, Portland, responded to this reviewResponded August 28, 2013

Thank you for taking the time to send us feedback regarding your recent stay with us. Our guest’s experience is our number one priority and if the experience was an unpleasant one we want to ensure that it is not repeated. We do have a no-party policy and I apologize that this standard was not was conveyed. We do have two of the most popular restaurants in Portland with a very vibrant energy and I am deeply sorry for any inconveniences this may have caused and I hope you will allow us another opportunity to exceed your expectations on any future trips.

Reviewed August 20, 2013

My husband and I stayed at The Nines on a Saturday night while enroute to Olympic National Park. The downtown location is great, making it an easy trip in from the airport on the redline. The hotel, lobby area and service are all lovely. The lobby/lounge/restaurant area even has a few partitioned sitting areas for a bit more of a cozy atmosphere if meeting friends for drinks. The room decor is what I believe is called Hollywood Regency, but don't quote me on that. Being a Saturday night, the elevator was packed with young trendies making their way to the night club on the upper level.

We paid $300+ and for that reason I am knocking down the rating based on what I think should be required of a hotel in that price range. We had a king bed room which was very tight on space. There was a chair at the desk, but no other sitting space, despite the fact that there was a small cocktail table. The mattress was extremely soft, not supportive at all. There was only one bath robe provided, and the turn-down service provided only one pair of slippers and no chocolates. I don't normally expect this, but if a hotel is going to provide turn-down service with slippers there should be a pair for each person and there should be a little treat. The bathroom was large with a lovely shower. The vanity area could be improved with someplace to hang a face cloth and hand towel other than the knobs on the wall across the room.

I have stayed at other downtown Portland hotels (Lucia, Metropolitan) with equally small rooms but much smaller bathrooms. Given the location and pleasant staff I would consider staying at The Nines again if I were able to book a lower price.

2  Thank PJ R
FredKleisner, General Manager at The Nines, a Luxury Collection Hotel, Portland, responded to this reviewResponded September 19, 2013

Thank you so much for taking the time to send us feedback regarding your recent stay with us. Our guest’s experience is our number one priority and if the experience was an unpleasant one we want to ensure that it is not repeated. Due to the historic aspects of the property, we do have a variety of room types and sizes and our team would be pleased to assist you in reserving the best accommodation for you. I hope you will allow us another opportunity to exceed your expectations on any future trips.

Reviewed August 20, 2013

Loved everything about my stay here!! Except it seems there might have been a problem with the dryers or something because some of the linens smelled of mold...

The restaurant was excellent by the way!!!

Room Tip: The 14th floor has a decorative exterior ledge that illuminates almost all views. Try almost any other floor.
  • Stayed: August 2013, traveled with friends
FredKleisner, General Manager at The Nines, a Luxury Collection Hotel, Portland, responded to this reviewResponded August 22, 2013

Thank you for your compliments of our team’s hospitality and we apologize for the inconvenience you experienced with the duvet; I assure you this is not our standard at the Nines and I have addressed your concerns with the appropriate department for immediate improvement. It will be our pleasure to welcome you again during your next visit to our city of roses.

Reviewed August 20, 2013

Great location in downtown Portland, with lots of shopping and restaurants within easy walking distance. Décor is Hollywood luxe, eye-catching and very different from the other Starwood hotels we've visited. Our room, a “deluxe” (which I’ve discovered means “standard”) King, was small but surprisingly quiet considering the hotel’s location and that the hotel was sold out during our stay. We briefly heard footsteps from the room above, but nothing terribly disturbing. The bath was tiny but very nicely decorated, with a marble shower stall, a single sink, and a toilet. I wondered if the room was intended for one person, since there was only one (very nice) robe and turn-down service was done only on one side of the bed, or just a misunderstanding. In any case, I would stay at the Nines again, but would request a larger room if there were two of us.

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled as a couple

Thank you for your kind review. We are pleased we were able to provide an exceptional experience. In conjunction with preserving the original grandeur of the building we do have a variety of room types and sizes. We are happy to assist you in reserving the accommodation most appropriate for you to ensure a truly customized experience. We look forward to welcoming you to the Nines on your next trip to Portland.

Reviewed August 19, 2013

Pretty Trendy and Hip Hotel where I have stayed several times this year. I have rode the elevator with athlete and celebrity and the like on several occasions here. The upgraded rooms are spectacular, and the basic room is significantly less than spectacular. Still plush... but very small. Also worthy of the note, the rooms have nice Bee shower gel and soaps... in a little dispenser thing in the shower. So while being sustainable minded... you can't steal any of the product... effectively :)

Location is good, but some rooms can be noisy as there is an active plaza across the way, and a trendy night club that I spent all of 5 minutes in one night... Wasn't in the mood for drunk bros and their drunk lady friends in cocktail dresses that night. Perk is you need a room key to access the floors, so you can escape them by fleeing to your floor or the lounge floor.

The staff here is very friendly. The lounge is a nice perk, and they have snacks and booze available around the clock. The gym in the hotel is also very nice as well. It is hard for an SPG elite to get a true upgrade on the regular since celebrity frequents this hotel... oh well it is super nice.

I am staying at a sister SPG property around the corner and totally am in a suite right now while the Nines is all booked up... Go figure

Room Tip: ask for something that doesn't face the interior courtyard or the plaza
  • Stayed: August 2013, traveled on business

Thank you for choosing to be our guest time and time again. We appreciate your loyalty to the Nines as well as SPG and I apologize that we are often unable to guarantee an upgrade to occupancy levels. Please reach out to me directly via the email below and I will do my best to grant an upgrade for your next visit. On a side note, I am pleased to hear that you enjoy our green-ethos inspired product line, Bee Kind and we hope to welcome you again soon.