“Short of being a true LUXURY PROPERTY”

The Nines, a Luxury Collection Hotel, Portland
Ranked #22 of 144 Hotels in Portland
GreenLeadersGold level
Reviewed July 31, 2013

OK, so a willing staff if somewhat uneducated.
Stayed in a room with access to the Executive Club Lounge.
If you drink, it's a dream come true with complimentary decent quality wines and local brews.
Even the sodas are upscale.
Breakfast (continental) and evening fare varies..............NOW HERE'S THE ISSUE.
This morning the club featured Nova Lox and bagels, a product worth more by the pound than the remaining buffet items combined..............almost - the dish is composed of bagels (check - great supply), lox (check), cream cheese (check),capers (check), tomatoes (oops) and purple onions (oops). When I asked for the latter I got the "deer in headlights" look - ok, so i'm looking for "let me check, call the kitchen" ......some sense of professionalism.
What I got was the dreaded "well that's all they gave me SHOULDER SHRUG...........seriously?????????????at a luxury hotel???????????
I can forgive those who never had this delicious dish, but the attitude??
Rooms ok, some rooms no bathtub - BEWARE.
NOTE: 15TH FLOOR has very nice scenic outdoors patio

Room Tip: Streets can be noisy - higher is better.
  • Stayed: July 2013, traveled on business
1  Thank saratogajohn
FredKleisner, General Manager at The Nines, a Luxury Collection Hotel, Portland, responded to this reviewResponded August 21, 2013

Please accept my apologies on behalf of the team. I assure you that the service you received is not our standard at the Nines. Please know that we have addressed your concerns with the appropriate departments for immediate improvement. We hope to welcome you again in the future for the opportunity to redeem your current expectation.

There are newer reviews for The Nines, a Luxury Collection Hotel, Portland

Reviewed July 30, 2013

I will start with my usual design hotel disclaimer: " When a hotel calls it's self a luxury design property I feel completely within bounds to judge it as such" With that said, let me present THE NINES Portland. The staff are excellent for the most part though some of the valet and bell staff, especially one or two of the head Valet staff have attitude issues. It takes 15 mins to get your car, some times longer, and this is unacceptable. For this kind of wait, in such a small city, the valet should almost be free, or the hotel needs to hirer more staff, (NOT) as there never seemed to be a lack of front door employees idling around. On at least 3 occasions (in 24 hours) I counted 7 employees doing nothing and my car still took 15 mins. Im not sure how that is possible. If it's a relay issue, get better cell phones... this is meant to be a luxury property, not a Hyatt. The public rooms are just so-so with one or two good moments and several bad. The decor is an odd mix of transitional (think pottery barn boring) and mid-century (excellent but senseless here) coupled with post-modern art (junk, mannequins painted plum and teal ). Whoever designed the place seems to have been quite sophomoric in their design education because it reminds one of a student project, where-in you mix disparate pieces to make a ramshackle collective. I have seen this work (though rarely) but in this case it just conflicts. The space itself is nice, although the architecture of the interior court yard is rather bland 1950's traditional (not modern) of a preexisting building the hotel was built around. You enter sensing it should be amazing, but looking up and around at it you're underwhelmed. The rooms are done up in passé bordello chic, already soo dated, in fact so much so they were dated two years before the hotel was completed, common for any overly trendy aesthetic, but especially sad in this case. Finished in tiffany blue, white pearlescent leather, and crushed velvet, they remind one of nightmare version Ava Gabor's apt in Green Acres. In fact I expected her to call any min and demand her stuff back, and upon receiving it slap the sender in the face for making such a mess of it. I understand that this look happened, I also understand it was over at least 3 years ago and nearly as soon as it started. All in all the design experience was rather tragic, and I really wanted it to be amazing. Ive stayed at The Westin and it was far more sincere, and while its a typical Westin with a bit of a Pacific Northwest edge, at least it doesn't claim to be anything that its not.. They are both Starwood properties, and you wont wait 15 mins or more for your car there.

Room Tip: Chose the Westin instead, a better value and a far more authentic Star Wood property if you can beli...
  • Stayed: July 2013, traveled solo
11  Thank JoshuaSims
FredKleisner, General Manager at The Nines, a Luxury Collection Hotel, Portland, responded to this reviewResponded September 20, 2013

Thank you for taking the time to detail your recent experience. We regret to hear that we did not meet your expectations during your recent stay. If you would like to discuss further, please feel free to reach out to me directly as I am at your service.

Reviewed July 30, 2013

The Pros: (1) great location within easy walking distance to offices in downtown Portland as well as restaurants and the riverfront park, (2) new stylish rooms with excellent in-room dining (among the best I've had in my 20 years of business travel in high-end hotels), (3) fantastic dining facilities (roof top restaurant is very hip and trendy if that is your scene while the atrium facility is excellent and more casual), (4) a big gym with plenty of equipment (not a small room that is an after thought).

Watch out for: (1) hotel layout is large so some rooms may be far from the elevator, and (2) my room was a bit tight with windows that were not ideally placed. But other than that, it was among the better business/boutique hotels that I've stayed at (60 hotel nights/year).

Stayed: July 2013, traveled on business

Thank you very much for the 5-star review! We appreciate our frequent business travelers and we are pleased to hear we were able to exceed your expectations. We hope that your travels will bring you back to Portland again soon for another fantastic experience!

Reviewed July 30, 2013

This is a very nice hotel, centrally located to every place you want downtown. I wanted a fun, nice hotel to stay at with my daughter for a few days in May. Since my daughter is in her 20's she wanted something "younger and hip" while I was looking for quiet and refined. Well, this hotel is it! The rooftop lounge was busy and fun, for her. The rooms were nicely appointed and club floor lounge was perfect for me in the early mornings when she slept in. I was very impressed with the restaurant knowledge of the people working in the club lounge. I had reservations made for us at all the newest, fun, innovative restaurants in town. The restaurant downstair was good. Great menu with lots of special dishes. Service was prompt and polite. The hotel manager was accommodating, friendly and considerate.

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled with family

Thank you for choosing to be our guest. I am pleased to hear that we were able to exceed your expectations! We hope that another mother-daughter trip will bring you back to us in the future.

Reviewed July 28, 2013

This is by far one of my favorite place to stay in Portland. The hotel features very quiet and comfortable rooms and a location that is close to some great destinations in Portland. It is also near the Tri Met, so getting around via light rail is easy too.

The Urban Farmer restaurant located at the check-in level had a great selection of local fare and beers. The rooftop lounge (Departure) is comfortable, modern, and has a great view of the city.

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Jairy G

Thank you for your kind review. We are pleased we were able to provide an exceptional experience in all of the outlets that our property has to offer. We look forward to welcoming you again on your next trip to Portland.

Reviewed July 24, 2013

If you want great food, great drinks, and a great view for the rooftop bar, The Nines downtown Portland is your place to stay. Located in the middle of downtown, The Nines is a hip place to stay with nice rooms, good service, and great bars, restaurant, and views of the city. A do not miss if you want to add a little swagger to your Portland experience.

Room Tip: All rooms are very nice. Rooms not facing the street are quieter
  • Stayed: July 2013, traveled on business
FredKleisner, General Manager at The Nines, a Luxury Collection Hotel, Portland, responded to this reviewResponded August 7, 2013

We appreciate you sharing your compliments. It will be our pleasure to welcome you again in the future.

Reviewed July 22, 2013

Very nice hotel, friendly and helpful staff. The location was prime for downtown venues. It was especially convenient to take the train from the airport directly to the hotel! The restaurants in the hotel were nice, and the bar was good, too. Make sure you check out the downtown farmers market if you stay over on a Saturday - one of the best markets I have ever been to!!! Kudos to The Nines and their professional staff in making out trip outstanding!

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled with friends
2  Thank jghan

Thank you for taking the time to recommend our hotel! We are pleased to hear that you were able to enjoy all aspects of your stay including the farmers’ market just steps outside of our front door! What a wonderful way to experience Portland! We look forward to welcoming you in the future for another outstanding experience!