“Upscale and a great location”

The Nines, a Luxury Collection Hotel, Portland
Ranked #23 of 146 Hotels in Portland
GreenLeadersGold level
Reviewed May 12, 2013

I had the opportunity to stay at The Nines for a professional conference in mid-April 2013. Living across the country, I'd never heard of the place before the conference organizers announced it, but I found it to be in an excellent choice for our 320 person event, with clean, well-decorated rooms. My room, which contained a mini-office cubby, overlooked a central covered courtyard that housed the Urban Farmer Restaurant where I enjoyed several tasty meals during my 5 day stay. The odd part for me was that check-in was on the 8th floor, although you can drop your bags at the street level and they will be brought up. Views of downtown from the upper floors were attractive, especially at night. The location was within an easy walk of a number of Portland shops, attractions, and restaurants, including the waterfront, famous Powell's bookstore, and a fast foot court a scant block away if you don't need to eat high-end for every meal.

I would have preferred a small sundries shop in the hotel, but access to incidentals, like water bottles and snacks, was close by so this was not a big problem. I had the benefit of a lower conference rate, so I can't comment on the value of a full price room, but it worked out very well for the event I attended and the staff were very pleasant and helpful. If there was a down side, it wasn't the hotel's fault, but there are a fair number of street people in downtown Portland. They weren't belligerent, but it was a detraction from the experience of walking around, and it was better at night walking with a crowd of companions.

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled on business
FredKleisner, General Manager at The Nines, a Luxury Collection Hotel, Portland, responded to this reviewResponded May 28, 2013

Thank you for your compliments. We are pleased to hear you enjoyed the comforts of your guest room and the service you were provided. It will be our pleasure to welcome you again if your travel plans allow.

Fred.kleisner@thenines.com

Write a ReviewReviews (2,986)

Reviewed May 11, 2013

Stayed at The Nines over my birthday weekend on the lounge level. Room was immaculate, beautifully decorated and very comfortable. Staying on the lounge level gives you appetizers, drinks and dessert during the afternoon and evening and an assortment of breakfast foods the following morning. The turn down service is awesome and the birthday chocolates were a sweet surprise. Great location and easy walk to all the great Portland sights.

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled as a couple
FredKleisner, General Manager at The Nines, a Luxury Collection Hotel, Portland, responded to this reviewResponded May 15, 2013

Thank you for choosing the Nines to celebrate your special day! I am very pleased to learn that you enjoyed your birthday and our team provided you with an exceptional service throughout your stay. We hope to welcome you back for many future celebrations!

Reviewed May 9, 2013

This hotel is in a great spot in downtown Portland, with easy walking distance to a good portion of the Northwest side and not too far from Forest Park. Bus travel to south east is easy to get to from The Nines. Every employee that I encountered was pleasant to deal with. I'd definitely recommend this place.

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled with friends

Thank you for sharing your compliments. Our staff strives to provide personalized service to all guests and we are pleased to learn have experienced this first hand. It will be our pleasure to welcome you again soon.

Reviewed May 5, 2013

The Nines is a respectable hotel, with respectable quality, respectable design, and a highly respectable location. While there is nothing about it that rings the bell, you aren't likely to be sorry that you chose it.

I stayed on the club floor. Having coffee and a (sort of) breakfast waiting for me, along with newspapers, each morning was pleasant, albeit unsatisfying. For a city with a farm to table ethos, I was shocked by the blandness of the offerings. And amused - as an east coast person, being presented with tiny dabs of cream cheese necessitated taking about 16 in order to make medium size schmears on my bagel.

The room was comfortable, pleasant, and clean. The bathroom reasonable, though missing q-tips, An oddity was that nowhere in the room was an explanation of the historic nature of the building or the history of the rehab.

Noise was a bit of an issue. Though my windows were on the atrium, not the street, both drumming and bass noise permeated my room as I tried to sleep. A white noise machine would have been useful.

Lastly, the staff was adequate. Cheerful, but not genuine, I thought. I have no complaints about any of them. But my experiences in other cities - New York City, for instance - suggests that either training or company ethos is lacking.

Anyway, I have no serious complaints. I just wouldn't return to The Nines if I had my druthers.

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled on business
1  Thank recklessweimie

Thank you for taking the time to detail your recent experience. I am disappointed to hear that we did not meet your expectations. Please allow me the opportunity to further discuss your comments by reaching me via email at Fred.Kleisner@thenines.com.

Reviewed May 5, 2013 via mobile

The hotel is right in the middle of downtown Portland. High enough you do not hear the city noise. If you go pay a little more and ask for the Club floor ! Great lite breakfasts ( not the standard fare you see around ) , wine and beer through the day, happy hour with mixed drinks and after dinner deserts and corduals at note all part of the room value.
Great view from Departures resturant and lounge on top.
Macy's is next door and metro system is outstanding.

• Stayed: May 2013

Thank you very much for sharing such positive feedback. We are delighted to learn you enjoyed your stay. We hope your travel plans bring you back to our city of roses and that we are fortunate enough to welcome you in the future.

Reviewed May 5, 2013

As an SPG Gold member, I was able to get a nice room and late checkout (4 p.m.!). Arrival was pretty effortless in terms of valet parking, checkin and getting to my room. Room was nice, clean and typical of a boutique hotel. The bed was comfortable and all the other furniture seemed well kept. The location is great as it's in the heart of downtown Portland with lots of places within easy walking distance. Very welcoming staff and consistent good service. Nice workout room with fairly new equipment.

I'd recommend you request to have your car ready very early (15-20 minutes) as the lot is several blocks away for the valets to run to. If it's near checkout time or other busy times, it may take a while.

The only snafu was my key expired prior to my late checkout and I had to return to the front desk, which was swamped with weekend checkins. Fortunately, someone at the concierge desk took me to my room to retrieve my bags for checkout.

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled solo

Thank you for sharing your recent experience. As a valued SPG Gold member, we truly appreciate your loyalty in the brand and your feedback. I am sorry that we missed the mark with your key card, however, I am pleased to hear that our concierge team was able to redeem this situation and assist you to your room. We look forward to welcoming you back on your next trip to Portland!

Reviewed May 3, 2013

I booked The Nines for my business trip based on all the positive reviews on TripAdvisor, however I was not impressed at all. Granted, I checked in after spending two nights in Seattle Fairmont which is hotel perfection in my opinion. Let's start with the positives. 1) Great downtown location close to shopping and restaurants 2) Really nice fittness center. Unfortunately the negatives outweighed the positives for me. The room was on the smaller side, badly decorated and very noisy. I was on the 7th floor and kept waking up all night because of traffic noise. This is not Manhattan! They should be able to manage noise levels through proprer windows and insulation. If one can't get a good night's sleep at a hotel nothing else pretty much matters. I was also surprised that the room had no bathrobes and no minibar. This is at most a three star hotel.

Stayed: May 2013, traveled on business
1  Thank Katerina_CA
FredKleisner, General Manager at The Nines, a Luxury Collection Hotel, Portland, responded to this reviewResponded May 7, 2013

Thank you for taking the time to detail your recent experience. We regret to hear that we did not meet your expectations during your recent stay at the Nines. We hope to have the opportunity to welcome you in the future to regain your confidence in us.