The Nines, a Luxury Collection Hotel, Portland
GreenLeadersGold level
Loveland, Colorado, United States
“Great Hotel”
Reviewed April 1, 2013

Wow. I am a Starwood Platinum, and I have read quite a few reviews. I have to commend the GM for being, "Political". This is a great hotel, and the steak I had for dinner was great. The hotel is plush to say the least. I read several bad reviews, and I rarely defend or commend a hotel. Great room, great food, and great turn-down service. Hands down, best hotel in Portland. Jon (Starwood Platinum)

• Stayed April 2013, traveled on business
FredKleisner, General Manager at The Nines, a Luxury Collection Hotel, Portland, responded to this review, April 4, 2013
Dear Jon L,

Our staff at the Nines truly takes pride in providing service that is beyond expectation. We are pleased you were able to experience this first hand. Thank you for your compliments and for being a loyal Starwood member. It will be our pleasure to welcome you again soon.

Best

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (728)
Dallas, Texas
Reviewed April 1, 2013

Probably my favorite hotel in Portland - I like several. Location is tops. It has a whole vibe that you don't see at other hotels, it is really happening at the restaurants and bars. Love the whole entry situation which kind of sets up that you are staying someplace unique. The little courtesy room on the executive level is awesome.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled on business
FredKleisner, General Manager at The Nines, a Luxury Collection Hotel, Portland, responded to this review, April 9, 2013
Dear DallasLonghorn,
We appreciate you sharing your compliments of the Nines. It will be our pleasure to welcome you again soon.
Roberts Creek. Canada
Reviewed March 31, 2013

The NInes hotel is a very nice hotel however the absolute gem is the Urban Farmer restaurant - WOW the offering of the grass fed beef and the locally sourced vegetables and all presented by a VERY professional server was truly our best experience for service and food in any hotel restaurant in the world, and they had a couple of superb fish dishes which 2 of our group had that where also excellent. There where 6 of us for my wife's birthday and the whole group felt the same. When we checked in the attendant wished my wife Happy Birthday and in the room was a complimentary plate of treats with a nice card.

Room Tip: Great downtown location - we had a room overlooking the river which was very nice.
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled with friends
Dear HarrySelig,

Thank you very much for leaving such positive comments. We are glad that you choose the Nines to celebrate your wife's birthday, and delighted to learn you enjoyed your stay and felt our teams of service professionals were helpful.
We hope your travel plans bring you back to our city and that we are fortunate enough to welcome you back to the Nines if your travel plans allow it.
Warm Regards,
Oklahoma City, Oklahoma
Reviewed March 28, 2013

We had such a great overnight at The Nines. I wish we could have been there longer. The staff was SO kind and helpful. The room was lovely and comfortable. The decor is trendy. The food in the 'Urban Farmer' was very good. Overall, highly recommend!!!

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with friends
Vancouver, Washington
Reviewed March 28, 2013

The Nines is truly my favorite hotel in downtown Portland. Although my wife and i only live 15 miles form the Nines we have stayed here many times. The Nines is our go to place for a "staycation" or just a night away from the kids. The rooms and suites are all great but i prefer the ones over looking Pioneer Courthouse. As an SPG member we have often been given nice upgraded rooms The club floor rooms offer the benefit of a light breakfast and nightly snacks a drinks the staff always goes well out of their way to be accommodating and helpful. Departure restaurant on the top floor is a must go and if the weather is good sitting out side on one of the viewing decks is great. I also recommend Urban farmer for a great breakfast. The NInes is truly a Elegant hotel. Access to the Nines couldn't be easier as it is right on the Max line. if your flying into PDX you can jump on the train and be downtown in no time.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled as a couple
Dear griffids,

Our staff at the Nine truly takes pride in providing service that is beyond expectation. We are pleased you were able to experience this first hand. Thank you for your compliments!
Portland, Oregon
Reviewed March 28, 2013

I stayed in the Nines for my anniversary night. The package included champagne strawberries and breakfast. Overall a great experience. The Hotel is ideally located for down town close to pub’s clubs restaurants shopping etc. It is decorated in a clean modern style. The breakfast at the Urban Farmer was great. Great valve and the best eggs benedict I have ever had. The car pick up in the morning from the valet parking was not long at all. 10 mins and my car was there. Considering the hotel location and the city one-way system I think 10mins was great.
Pros: Location, Décor, cleanliness and friendly staff.
Cons; small rooms, noisy from the transit system and $40 to park you car.

Room Tip: Try and get a room away from the trains
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
Singapore
Reviewed March 23, 2013

This is one of those times I want to give higher ratings because of the people working there. The staff are all wonderful, and the vibe is cool (though can trend a little to W'ish sometimes). Unfortunately, there are too many places it appears the hotel is cutting corners to make a few extra $$$. For example, the drinks in the Lounge are nice, but the breakfast is lamentable. The poor doormen work like dogs to get the cars up in time, but they are always running behind (seems like there might be a closer garage which costs a bit more??).

In general, this is one of those hotels where if you stay once you will love it -- location is perfect, vibe is cool, people are really nice. If you come back over and over (I've stayed over 10 times), these small things become very annoying, particularly if you are a part of Starwood Platinum (for example, I have never been upgraded, even though I often stay for one night).

• Stayed March 2013, traveled on business
3 Thank singtraveljunkie
FredKleisner, General Manager at The Nines, a Luxury Collection Hotel, Portland, responded to this review, March 28, 2013
I truly appreciate your feedback. Thank you for taking the time to provide your comments regarding your stays at the Nines. It is great to hear that our staff is performing well. I would like to apologize that your experiences have not always been pleasant and I would like the opportunity to discuss with you further at your earliest convenience. Please feel free to contact me directly.

Fred Kleisner, GM