“Quick over night in Portland”

The Nines, a Luxury Collection Hotel, Portland
Ranked #17 of 141 Hotels in Portland
GreenLeadersGold level
London, United Kingdom
“Quick over night in Portland”
Reviewed February 26, 2013

Stayed here mid week for one nigh on a business trip, arrived mid evening,fast check in, had an absolutely superb meal in the Urban Farmer, supplying all local produce form cheese to meats and the purveyors are all listed for you to see. Wine list featured lots of locally produced wines, very interesting to peruse. You know its actually worth staying in this hotel for the restaurant alone. Enjoyed a night cap in the roof bar area, fantastic views from up there, don’t miss it. Great nights sleep in what I would call a very standard size but extremely comfortable room, bed linen and pillows really top quality. Had to do a fast departure in the morning advised server and received fantastic service once more. Loved the décor and atmosphere of the place. Friendly efficient check out. Great location for what I had to do down town.

Room Tip: Would say room looking over the street , not internal
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (722)
Dublin, Ireland
Reviewed February 25, 2013

Girls night out - booked 1 night in a double queen corner room. Beautiful, modern and lively hotel, beautiful room. Service was top notch. From the friendly bell hops, to Steven at the front desk who let us check in early, to Lisa the very helpful concierge, everyone was exceptional. The only thing that was a real let down was the extremely rude bartender at the departure lounge, she was quite unpleasant, so far away from the otherwise brilliant service we received from everyone else. Location was great, walking distance to great restaurants and shopping. Would definitely recommend to others, would stay here again!

• Stayed February 2013, traveled with friends
San Diego, CA
Reviewed February 25, 2013

On a recent stay in Portland, without a hotel reservation, I used my Hotels Tonight App and The Nines was a choice. Love Starwood and the points, booked this hotel on my smartphone, for much less that the rack rate. Service was amazing. The rooms are 5 stars, plush, very clean and decor to die for. The restaurants are the best and the wine list will roll you over. Wish there was a Nine every where I went. A must return trip. The front desk was kind! Trust me, the experience from check in to check out - flawless, but you will want to stay an extra night! I forget to mention the Front Door and bellman, rock!

Room Tip: I didn't use the pool or spa, but will on my return! Room overlooking the atrium was quiet.
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled solo
Seattle, Washington
Reviewed February 25, 2013

We stayed here for two nights in February. We had a wonderful experience with the staff, all the way from check-in, to room service, to the bell desk. The hotel itself however, was not that great. The walls between rooms were rather thin, and we could very clearly hear a baby crying in the room next door. The decor and the bathrooms were lovely, and the bed was extremely comfortable. On Friday and Saturday nights they have live jazz on the lobby/restaurant level, but the speakers for the singer were turned up so loud, that my husband and I had to shout at each other to be heard, even from two feet away. Their restaurant was just a few feet from the jazz singer, and we decided against dining there because of the noise level.
The crowd at the hotel was also very much not my scene. Most of the people I encountered looked like they were hard partying cast members from the Jersey Shore.
It certainly was not a terrible hotel, and the staff was wonderful. Perhaps it would be a great hotel for others, but I think I'll check into The Heathman the next time I'm in town.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Emily C
FredKleisner, General Manager at The Nines, a Luxury Collection Hotel, Portland, responded to this review, February 27, 2013
Thank you for your comments. I am pleased to hear that you enjoyed our staff as well as our décor. We do have a very vibrant energy, especially on weekends, and I apologize that this negatively impacted your time with us. I would be happy to discuss your stay with you further and I hope that we can welcome you back in the future!

Fred Kleisner, GM
Fred.kleisner@thenines.com
London, England, United Kingdom
Reviewed February 25, 2013

This is an amazing hotel, classy, high quality, smart and great service.

Perhaps a little pretentious in the upstairs bar Departure, but generally the rooms are great, food is superb and the location is ideal.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled on business
1 Thank radapple
Reviewed February 22, 2013

Upon my arrival on Wednesday, 2/20; I was greeted by an Ambassador to the City of Portland, one of your Bell Captains, Mark Merkel. Being in Retail Management as a manager of 250 Delis and Bakeries, I witnessed the customer service level my company strives to achieve and has literally spent hundreds of thousands dollars on to in the form of your Bell, Mark Merkel.

Being a first time visitor to the city, I was unfamiliar of what establishments I should frequent to make the most of my 3 day stay. Mark's welcoming smile led me to him to ask my questions. Mark immediately pulled out a map, circled points of interest, and provided directions. His recommendations were spot-on on restaurants and local entertainment.

To quote, Dale Carnegie; the sweetest sound to a person is hearing their name. Mark greeted me by name upon every arrival and departure he was present for. This was more then a friendly greeting, but customer first engagement at it's highest level; as he showed genuine concern if I was enjoying my stay and the city in general.

Being a person, very much in demand I generally do not take time to write a review, but the Manager at the Nines suggested I do so, when complimenting his hotel on the customer service I received by Mark M.

Special call out to the Restaurant team at QV on 1st and Madison that scored high marks on their great service as well (a recommended restaurant) by Mark.

Frank R.,
Riverside, CA.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled on business
1 Thank Frank R
Riverside, California
Reviewed February 22, 2013

I rate the Nines a perfect 10 and it is all because of one Bell Captain that sets an example for any in the hospitality industry to exemplify. Mark began with a smile at the front door and within minutes I felt like I was assigned my own personal valet. He took the time to not only highlight places around town ( restaurants, pubs, etc.), but was there to greet me every morning and afternoon. It wasn't just a smile and a hello, but it was a smile, hello, what are your plans today, can I give you recommendations, directions, and anything I can do to make your stay better. If it is the Nines intention to have each Bell Captain adopt their own guest upon arrival and to take care of them their entire trip, then kudos to you.

I travel a lot and have been to hotels all over the world and truly have never received the attention that I received from Mark. I am intentionally not reviewing the reservation staff, room, restaurant, conference facilities, or any other part of the hotel, as none of them matter as my entire experience was defined by Mark.

I am a Chief Development Officer and oversee Business Development, Marketing, and Human Resources for my firm. If I were on the Management Team of the Nines, I would take a serious look at where Mark should be in the organization to have the most impact. At the very least he should be part of the training team for all new employees. I know you hate to lose someone of this caliber in such a prime position, but it won't be long before someone in the industry has the experience I had and you may find him recruited right out the front door.

Thank you Mark for making my stay in Portland amazing and taking a person interest in me and my well being.

Kevin Ferguson