The Nines, a Luxury Collection Hotel, Portland
Ranked #18 of 142 Hotels in Portland
GreenLeadersGold level
“Mark Merkel”
Reviewed February 22, 2013

Upon my arrival on Wednesday, 2/20; I was greeted by an Ambassador to the City of Portland, one of your Bell Captains, Mark Merkel. Being in Retail Management as a manager of 250 Delis and Bakeries, I witnessed the customer service level my company strives to achieve and has literally spent hundreds of thousands dollars on to in the form of your Bell, Mark Merkel.

Being a first time visitor to the city, I was unfamiliar of what establishments I should frequent to make the most of my 3 day stay. Mark's welcoming smile led me to him to ask my questions. Mark immediately pulled out a map, circled points of interest, and provided directions. His recommendations were spot-on on restaurants and local entertainment.

To quote, Dale Carnegie; the sweetest sound to a person is hearing their name. Mark greeted me by name upon every arrival and departure he was present for. This was more then a friendly greeting, but customer first engagement at it's highest level; as he showed genuine concern if I was enjoying my stay and the city in general.

Being a person, very much in demand I generally do not take time to write a review, but the Manager at the Nines suggested I do so, when complimenting his hotel on the customer service I received by Mark M.

Special call out to the Restaurant team at QV on 1st and Madison that scored high marks on their great service as well (a recommended restaurant) by Mark.

Frank R.,
Riverside, CA.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled on business
1 Thank Frank R

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (724)
Riverside, California
Reviewed February 22, 2013

I rate the Nines a perfect 10 and it is all because of one Bell Captain that sets an example for any in the hospitality industry to exemplify. Mark began with a smile at the front door and within minutes I felt like I was assigned my own personal valet. He took the time to not only highlight places around town ( restaurants, pubs, etc.), but was there to greet me every morning and afternoon. It wasn't just a smile and a hello, but it was a smile, hello, what are your plans today, can I give you recommendations, directions, and anything I can do to make your stay better. If it is the Nines intention to have each Bell Captain adopt their own guest upon arrival and to take care of them their entire trip, then kudos to you.

I travel a lot and have been to hotels all over the world and truly have never received the attention that I received from Mark. I am intentionally not reviewing the reservation staff, room, restaurant, conference facilities, or any other part of the hotel, as none of them matter as my entire experience was defined by Mark.

I am a Chief Development Officer and oversee Business Development, Marketing, and Human Resources for my firm. If I were on the Management Team of the Nines, I would take a serious look at where Mark should be in the organization to have the most impact. At the very least he should be part of the training team for all new employees. I know you hate to lose someone of this caliber in such a prime position, but it won't be long before someone in the industry has the experience I had and you may find him recruited right out the front door.

Thank you Mark for making my stay in Portland amazing and taking a person interest in me and my well being.

Kevin Ferguson
Guest from 2/20-22

Stayed February 2013, traveled on business
1 Thank Kevin F
Seattle, Washington
Reviewed February 21, 2013

We stayed at The Nines and really enjoyed it. The staff there were very helpful and accomodating. The rooms are beautiful. The property is very convenient for walking around downtown Portland. I would have said "excellent" but this hotel has some issues to resolve. I will list the issues in detail in case they would be an issue for you, however, I do want to note that is is a fun, lively, modern hotel and we really did enjoy staying there.

One big issue is that they have a check in time of 3 pm however they let some of their guests stay until 4 pm. Our room was apparently one of those and they didn't have any others. It's a smaller hotel so I'm not sure how many rooms they have in each category. They then had to clean the room so they wouldn't give us our room key until 6 pm. We've never had such a late check in ever before. We felt that we were paying for someone else to be in our room since we should have been able to check in at 3. We had come down from Seattle and been up since 5 am so we just wanted to get in to the room to freshen up and go out to dinner but we had to wait in the concierge until they finally let us have the key. Late check out should never be 4 pm. They sent us 3 chocolates (there were 5 of us) to make up for it.

The rooms are noisy because it's an older building so you can hear street noise even up on the 12th floor. We had a corner room that made it noisier. This wasn't a big issue for us but it is something to be aware of. Our son woke up at 5 am each morning because of the noise but he is a lighter sleeper.

We had the concierge service because of our status. However, apparently everyone else did too. Sunday morning was tough because we wanted to have a light continental breakfast that they were serving but it was difficult to find seats and you had to keep waiting for the food because I'm sure the concierge area isn't set up for volume food production. There was also a large group of women in their pajamas. Odd...but not the hotel's fault although I thought that the concierge should have asked them to get dressed. We felt that they need to look at this service and make decisions on who they want to offer it to and ensure that they can meet the needs of the people they offer it to.

Room Tip: Corner rooms are fairly large but you now have two sides for road noise so it might be quieter to bo...
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled with family
2 Thank ramaleew
New York City, New York
Reviewed February 20, 2013

Beautiful rooms. Located Close to everything. Both restaurants are great! Try Urban Farmer for Brunch (build it yourself Bloody Mary Bar). For dinner visit their rooftop restaurant Departure for a great view of downtown.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with friends
New York
Reviewed February 19, 2013

We booked a Deluxe King city view room through Amex Platinum Fine Hotels and Resorts. Perks through Amex include: free breakfast, dining credit, upgrade upon availability and late checkout. This hotel is part of the luxury collection, which seems a bit strange given the level of service we received.

Arrived at the hotel via car and opted for valet service at $39/day. While the valet price is ridiculously high we did not want to deal with parking around the city so decided to assume this cost. If you are just staying in downtown, you do not need a car, as the location of the hotel is extremely convenient. Nordstroms/Pioneer Place Mall/Nike are across the street, Macy's is in the same building, and restaurants/food trucks are a few blocks walk away. Upon arrival at night, the front desk was not friendly or rude, just average. The concierge on duty at the time was a bit awkward and did not offer much help in terms of late night dining. We went back to the concierge in the morning, and Laurie, who was on duty, was particularly helpful.

The hotel upgraded us to a double queen room on the 14th floor (second to the highest floor) which is around 1/4 larger than the deluxe king. They did not have any king upgrade rooms available so this was fine. The layout of the hotel is a bit off and takes some getting used to. On the 14th floor, unlike other levels, there are no windows in the elevator bank area. It creates a darker atmosphere which I did not like. The elevators take forever to come around as well. In the hallways, there were plates left outside several rooms which left uncollected for a few hours. This was characteristic of the hallways during the course of our stay.

The city view queen room we stayed in was larger than the superior/deluxe king rooms. I appreciated the seafoam/silver/black color scheme in the rooms; however, did not appreciate how the 14th floor windows city views are blocked by the bars on the facade of the building...the columns interferes with the view (see picture). The only (smallish) closet (with a safe) in the room on the right side of one of the beds, which was a bit awkward to get to given the lack of space between the wall and the bed. The beds are comfortable as are the array of pillows and sheets. Wifi is complimentary for several gadgets, which is great.

As for the bathroom, its a good size, but there is no soak tub or stand alone shower, rather a tub/shower in one. The corner location of the sink is a bit strange and the low water pressure in the sink left much to be desired. Ample number of towels are provided as are two bathrobes and slippers. I applaud their effort to use eco conscious bathgel/shower products, but these do not leave the body feeling soft and moisturized.

Our rooms were not cleaned until 4-5pm on two days, which left a bad taste in our mouths. Repeated calls to guest services about this issue were not met with urgency or apologies. This coupled with the hallways not being cleaned and un-accomodating service does not warrant luxury collection/fine hotels status for the Nines.

The Urban Farmer restaurant is good for steaks, and the service is better in the restaurant than at the hotel itself.

All in all, it was an ok stay. I probably would not stay again due to the uneven service that was neither friendly nor efficient. It tries to be a five star hotel, but is a four star hotel at most. I am actually surprised that it is part of Amex Fine Hotels and Starwood's Luxury Collection. I think for the price, there are other options in the area that deliver.

Room Tip: Stay in a city view room, below the 14th floor. Queen rooms are larger than kings.
1 Thank wanderluster123
FredKleisner, General Manager at The Nines, a Luxury Collection Hotel, Portland, responded to this review, February 21, 2013
Thank you for this valuable feedback. I apologize that we were unable to exceed your expectations during your stay with us. I have passed your comments along to Laurie; she is a great asset to our team. I truly appreciate your comments and I will use this as a training opportunity for our team. I hope that we are able to welcome you back in the future and create a memorable experience. Please feel free to contact me if you would like to discuss anything further.

Fred Kleisner, GM
Fred.kleisner@thenines.com
Medford, Oregon
Reviewed February 19, 2013

We go up to Portland, Oregon quite a bit and have stayed in many of the main downtown hotels. We planned a last minute trip for the President's weekend and this time chose The Nines (http://www.thenines.com/) as it was $50/night cheaper than the other contenders (though this is not always the case). We had stayed here several years ago when they had first opened, but for one reason or another had never gone back. While all the downtown hotel's are very well located for shopping and picking up the MAX light rail, The Nines definitely has the best location of them all. Located in the Meier and Frank building, you can just walk out of the lobby and the entrance to M & F is right there. Just kitty-corner is the entrance to Pioneer Place and Nordstrom is just one block up past Pioneer Courthouse Square. The MAX light rail runs right by the hotel, a stop is just 1/2 block away, or you can walk just a few blocks up to the streetcar stop and get to The Pearl or NW 23rd.

We stayed in a Standard King room which was a decent size room with a nice long settee along the windows which was the perfect place to keep your luggage so it was off the ground. The bathroom was a nice size with a large walk-in shower, and I like the way they did the corner counter space - provided a lot of counter space in a smaller area. The way the water came out of the faucet was a bit odd, and would have preferred more water pressure from the bathroom sink. There was a good size flat screen tv and one little touch that we really appreciated was plugs in the lights on either side of the bed so we could both charge our phones next to the bed.

We have eaten at the main restaurant, Urban Farmer, for breakfast in the past but chose not to eat here this time - so many great options in Portland. We did stop at the Urban Farmer bar before our 5pm Timbers game and had some yummy oysters and simple cheese plate. It was a nice afternoon snack. The main lobby area behind the reception desk is quite nice with a lot of couches and chairs to sit on and the open skylighted ceiling makes for a light feel. There is another restaurant, Departures, on the top floor that is Asian influenced. We have not eaten there, but there are supposed to be nice outdoor decks as well, that would be great to sit out on when the weather is better.

Overall, we found the service very good. We did have one negative incident but we understand that things happen and it is not always that they happen but how they are handled when they do. My in-laws live in Portland and my father-in-law is in a wheelchair, and they had purchased a new mobility van that came from Phoenix, AZ. Friends had driven it to us in Southern Oregon and we were driving it up to Portland to deliver to my in-laws. We came in late Friday night and parked it overnight at the hotel. The next day we received a call from the head valet that while moving the van they had run it over a small curb and damaged the bottom of the car (these mobility vans are very low to the grounds). He said they had taken pictures and would take care of paying for all the damages. Of course, the car was not ours so we delivered the car to my in-laws and passed on all the necessary names and numbers to all parties. We trust that it will be resolved satisfactorily. So far The Nines has been forthcoming and willing to help and cover all expenses.

When we checked out I was hoping to see the overnight parking charges credited to my account, but they were not. I explained to the lady at the front desk, that I was hoping we would not have to pay for the parking fee as there had been damage done to our car. She apologized and said she did not have a note about it. She asked for the details, which I explained to her and she put it in the computer and promptly refunded me the overnight parking charges.

Lastly, when I came home I realized that I had left my electric toothbrush in the room. I called the hotel, and yes, they had my toothbrush and would send it to me.

All in all, we were very pleased with our stay. Assuming the issue with the van is resolved to our satisfaction, and at this point I have no reason to believe it won't, we would definitely return in the future.

Santa Clara, California
Reviewed February 19, 2013

We enjoyed our stay here, the staff is very friendly, and the concierge had great suggestions for dinner. The location is perfect, you are right in the middle of downtown. We were there during a busy time, there were long waits for the elevator. The room showed some signs of needing updating. No coffee maker in the room, and no robes either! The closet did not have a space to hang up a long coat or a dress, it was rather different. The staff however is fantastic!
Oh and I forgot to say---very comfortable bed!