“Tries hard but misses the mark”

The Nines, a Luxury Collection Hotel, Portland
Ranked #20 of 144 Hotels in Portland
GreenLeadersGold level
Reviewed February 19, 2013

We booked a Deluxe King city view room through Amex Platinum Fine Hotels and Resorts. Perks through Amex include: free breakfast, dining credit, upgrade upon availability and late checkout. This hotel is part of the luxury collection, which seems a bit strange given the level of service we received.

Arrived at the hotel via car and opted for valet service at $39/day. While the valet price is ridiculously high we did not want to deal with parking around the city so decided to assume this cost. If you are just staying in downtown, you do not need a car, as the location of the hotel is extremely convenient. Nordstroms/Pioneer Place Mall/Nike are across the street, Macy's is in the same building, and restaurants/food trucks are a few blocks walk away. Upon arrival at night, the front desk was not friendly or rude, just average. The concierge on duty at the time was a bit awkward and did not offer much help in terms of late night dining. We went back to the concierge in the morning, and Laurie, who was on duty, was particularly helpful.

The hotel upgraded us to a double queen room on the 14th floor (second to the highest floor) which is around 1/4 larger than the deluxe king. They did not have any king upgrade rooms available so this was fine. The layout of the hotel is a bit off and takes some getting used to. On the 14th floor, unlike other levels, there are no windows in the elevator bank area. It creates a darker atmosphere which I did not like. The elevators take forever to come around as well. In the hallways, there were plates left outside several rooms which left uncollected for a few hours. This was characteristic of the hallways during the course of our stay.

The city view queen room we stayed in was larger than the superior/deluxe king rooms. I appreciated the seafoam/silver/black color scheme in the rooms; however, did not appreciate how the 14th floor windows city views are blocked by the bars on the facade of the building...the columns interferes with the view (see picture). The only (smallish) closet (with a safe) in the room on the right side of one of the beds, which was a bit awkward to get to given the lack of space between the wall and the bed. The beds are comfortable as are the array of pillows and sheets. Wifi is complimentary for several gadgets, which is great.

As for the bathroom, its a good size, but there is no soak tub or stand alone shower, rather a tub/shower in one. The corner location of the sink is a bit strange and the low water pressure in the sink left much to be desired. Ample number of towels are provided as are two bathrobes and slippers. I applaud their effort to use eco conscious bathgel/shower products, but these do not leave the body feeling soft and moisturized.

Our rooms were not cleaned until 4-5pm on two days, which left a bad taste in our mouths. Repeated calls to guest services about this issue were not met with urgency or apologies. This coupled with the hallways not being cleaned and un-accomodating service does not warrant luxury collection/fine hotels status for the Nines.

The Urban Farmer restaurant is good for steaks, and the service is better in the restaurant than at the hotel itself.

All in all, it was an ok stay. I probably would not stay again due to the uneven service that was neither friendly nor efficient. It tries to be a five star hotel, but is a four star hotel at most. I am actually surprised that it is part of Amex Fine Hotels and Starwood's Luxury Collection. I think for the price, there are other options in the area that deliver.

Room Tip: Stay in a city view room, below the 14th floor. Queen rooms are larger than kings.
1  Thank wanderluster123
FredKleisner, General Manager at The Nines, a Luxury Collection Hotel, Portland, responded to this reviewResponded February 21, 2013

Thank you for this valuable feedback. I apologize that we were unable to exceed your expectations during your stay with us. I have passed your comments along to Laurie; she is a great asset to our team. I truly appreciate your comments and I will use this as a training opportunity for our team. I hope that we are able to welcome you back in the future and create a memorable experience. Please feel free to contact me if you would like to discuss anything further.

Fred Kleisner, GM
Fred.kleisner@thenines.com

There are newer reviews for The Nines, a Luxury Collection Hotel, Portland

Reviewed February 19, 2013

We go up to Portland, Oregon quite a bit and have stayed in many of the main downtown hotels. We planned a last minute trip for the President's weekend and this time chose The Nines (http://www.thenines.com/) as it was $50/night cheaper than the other contenders (though this is not always the case). We had stayed here several years ago when they had first opened, but for one reason or another had never gone back. While all the downtown hotel's are very well located for shopping and picking up the MAX light rail, The Nines definitely has the best location of them all. Located in the Meier and Frank building, you can just walk out of the lobby and the entrance to M & F is right there. Just kitty-corner is the entrance to Pioneer Place and Nordstrom is just one block up past Pioneer Courthouse Square. The MAX light rail runs right by the hotel, a stop is just 1/2 block away, or you can walk just a few blocks up to the streetcar stop and get to The Pearl or NW 23rd.

We stayed in a Standard King room which was a decent size room with a nice long settee along the windows which was the perfect place to keep your luggage so it was off the ground. The bathroom was a nice size with a large walk-in shower, and I like the way they did the corner counter space - provided a lot of counter space in a smaller area. The way the water came out of the faucet was a bit odd, and would have preferred more water pressure from the bathroom sink. There was a good size flat screen tv and one little touch that we really appreciated was plugs in the lights on either side of the bed so we could both charge our phones next to the bed.

We have eaten at the main restaurant, Urban Farmer, for breakfast in the past but chose not to eat here this time - so many great options in Portland. We did stop at the Urban Farmer bar before our 5pm Timbers game and had some yummy oysters and simple cheese plate. It was a nice afternoon snack. The main lobby area behind the reception desk is quite nice with a lot of couches and chairs to sit on and the open skylighted ceiling makes for a light feel. There is another restaurant, Departures, on the top floor that is Asian influenced. We have not eaten there, but there are supposed to be nice outdoor decks as well, that would be great to sit out on when the weather is better.

Overall, we found the service very good. We did have one negative incident but we understand that things happen and it is not always that they happen but how they are handled when they do. My in-laws live in Portland and my father-in-law is in a wheelchair, and they had purchased a new mobility van that came from Phoenix, AZ. Friends had driven it to us in Southern Oregon and we were driving it up to Portland to deliver to my in-laws. We came in late Friday night and parked it overnight at the hotel. The next day we received a call from the head valet that while moving the van they had run it over a small curb and damaged the bottom of the car (these mobility vans are very low to the grounds). He said they had taken pictures and would take care of paying for all the damages. Of course, the car was not ours so we delivered the car to my in-laws and passed on all the necessary names and numbers to all parties. We trust that it will be resolved satisfactorily. So far The Nines has been forthcoming and willing to help and cover all expenses.

When we checked out I was hoping to see the overnight parking charges credited to my account, but they were not. I explained to the lady at the front desk, that I was hoping we would not have to pay for the parking fee as there had been damage done to our car. She apologized and said she did not have a note about it. She asked for the details, which I explained to her and she put it in the computer and promptly refunded me the overnight parking charges.

Lastly, when I came home I realized that I had left my electric toothbrush in the room. I called the hotel, and yes, they had my toothbrush and would send it to me.

All in all, we were very pleased with our stay. Assuming the issue with the van is resolved to our satisfaction, and at this point I have no reason to believe it won't, we would definitely return in the future.

Reviewed February 19, 2013

We enjoyed our stay here, the staff is very friendly, and the concierge had great suggestions for dinner. The location is perfect, you are right in the middle of downtown. We were there during a busy time, there were long waits for the elevator. The room showed some signs of needing updating. No coffee maker in the room, and no robes either! The closet did not have a space to hang up a long coat or a dress, it was rather different. The staff however is fantastic!
Oh and I forgot to say---very comfortable bed!

Reviewed February 18, 2013

Surprisingly edgy hotel decor combined with warm, inviting, attentive, and personable staff which made for an enjoyable experience. Great outdoor roof bar Departure providing an unparalleled view tasty appetizers pared with fine wine. Yummy northwest flare big portioned breakfast at the Urban Farmer responsive to my gluten free diet. I have found my new destination in the rose city...

• Stayed: February 2013
Reviewed February 18, 2013

Walking into the hotel we were greeted by some very friendly staff members who were more than willing to talk about the area and what there was to do there. They suggested a few restaurants and even gave us a late check out because our flight came in late.

The rooms were an average size, not too big. The Bed took up a good portion of the room and it was probably one of the most comfortable beds I have ever slept on. We had a nice city view. The bathroom was a fairly nice size, but the shower was slightly small. They had their own products in the bathroom which was a nice touch.

We paid extra to use the club lounge and that was probably a waste, the breakfast was nothing more than some fruit, coffee, and yogurt. There was one staff member sitting at the entrance, but no one else in there. Dirty dishes and cups were scattered throughout the area. Didn't bother to go back at any other point in our stay.

It is right across from the max rail, which was a great mode of transportation. It was about a 30 min ride from their airport to the hotel and only $2.50 per person. The hotel was in a great area surrounded by shops, breweries, and coffee shops. Definitely ask the concierge for suggestions.

Room Tip: Ask to have a view of the city.
1  Thank dks61885
Reviewed February 18, 2013

I stayed on the club level for 3 nights and could not have asked for a better experience. The breakfast was fairly creative especially since its free and I appreciated the happy hours each day with Oregon wines and beer and snacks.

The property is covered in artwork from local artists and the views of Portland are good! Bathrooms were fantastic! Don't usually find them laid out so well. The only downside to the property is the storage space in the rooms. If I were there with another person, I'm not sure how we would have managed who's clothes went where. A small price to pay for such a nice place in a perfect location. Access to north/south and east/west lines of the streetcar are right outside the door. Not to mention that so much of Portland is within walking distance! There is so much to see and do in Portland, and this hotel is at the center. I really enjoyed my stay!

Room Tip: Ask for an outside room to get the view. Half of the rooms are on the inside looking down on the lob...
  • Stayed: February 2013, traveled on business
1  Thank troymoga
Reviewed February 17, 2013

We've stayed at The Nines many times. Several years ago we discovered the joy of booking a room on the club level. The lounge is beautiful and the food and beverage offerings exceptional - morning breakfast, mid-snacks, evening appetizers and stunning desserts. The all day open bar is nice as well. Judy is one of the best club staff ever and always remembers us from stay to stay.

On this stay we opted for dinner at Urban Farmer, the onsite steakhouse. The food was amazing and service top notch.

The rooms at The Nines are beautiful with accents of silver and Tiffany blue. The beds are super only, but don't have a top sheet (part of the green program). Call for a top sheet as its annoying.

Stayed: February 2013, traveled on business