“What a fantastic hotel experience”

The Nines, a Luxury Collection Hotel, Portland
Ranked #21 of 142 Hotels in Portland
GreenLeadersGold level
Stuttgart, Germany
“What a fantastic hotel experience”
Reviewed December 27, 2012 via mobile

Staff is extremely friendly and dedicated, you almost have the impression that your thoughts are read. And where have you seen that the staff at the reception leaves the counter, gets around in order to hand you out the key and explain you how to get to your room. I was greatly impressed.

Rooms wonderfully decorated and amenities are replaced every day, even if you do not use them. Most impressive to me was the selected fine sculptures and arts which you find all over the hotel. This fresh style distinguishes them from the well known international chains.

The atmosphere in the restaurants and bars is on the one hand fancy and the other hand relaxed, comfortable and invites you stay. Same excellent service as well here.

For me, or business stay was a five star experience and I definitely plan to return for a private trip, as the location as well is one of its best in downtown

Stayed May 2012, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (728)
Vancouver, Canada
Reviewed December 27, 2012

Stayed at The Nines in August for a night, the location itself is close to shopping and restaurants, and the river front which was nice. There were a few reasons we were less than impressed with the actual hotel itself. The first was the fact that the wifi would not work at the hotel. We chose the hotel as my bf needed the internet for work as it was a weekday and since it wouldn't work he had to go sit at starbucks to do his work that afternoon. We tried talking to the front desk to see if they could help with the internet and the solution they suggested was that we could call their provider to see why it wasn't working. Really? We should phone? Definitely not 5 star service there. Also our room had a strong urine odour, not sure how well the washroom was cleaned prior to our check-in. When checking out we let them know our concerns about the internet and the smell in the room and they comped the valet for us which was decent since we weren't expecting anything aside from wanting to provide some feedback.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled on business
1 Thank ErinDG13
FredKleisner, General Manager at The Nines, a Luxury Collection Hotel, Portland, responded to this review, January 4, 2013
Thank you for your comments in regard to your recent stay. I apologize that you did not have a more pleasant experience during your time with us. The situation you have described is not the superior level of service our guests receive on a daily basis and I have followed up with my team so that we may improve upon the opportunities you mentioned. I am glad we were able to provide some compensation under the circumstances and I hope we are able to welcome you back in the future and exceed your current expectations. I am at your service if you would like to discuss anything further.

Fred.kleisner@thenines.com
Seattle USA
Reviewed December 20, 2012

I was very pleased all around. The hotel is decorated in a lovely contemporary meets French meets Tiffany style. The staff are attentive and welcoming. I recommend booking through whatahotel.com for perks like a room upgrade, complimentary continental breakfast and late check-out.

The room was a bit small but nicely appointed. The bed was very comportment.

The food that I sampled at Urban Farmer restaurant within the hotel was very good and the bar makes excellent drinks. Room service was delicious and quick.

Parking was expensive, but that's my only complaint.

The hotel is within easy walking distance to great spots like Stumptown Coffee and Powell's Books.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
Portland, Oregon
Reviewed December 17, 2012

My Husband and I decided to stay at The Nines for our first baby mooning experience and overall, we were both very impressed. The hotel itself is decorated very nicely and it is located in the heart of great downtown shopping! The windows in our room had a nice city view although it was hard to see because they were so foggy :( We stayed in one of the deluxe rooms with a king sized bed and we requested a bathtub instead of the standard shower. I was kind of surprised that the toilet paper was so cheap for such a nice hotel but the bathroom itself was gorgeous. We ordered in room dining and although it was pricey, (we were expecting that) the food was well worth it. The cheesecake they serve was by far THE BEST cheesecake I have ever had in my life. The staff was very polite and catered to our requests. I highly recommend this hotel to couples!

Room Tip: Request a room with a bathtub!
HK
Reviewed December 16, 2012

I love the color theme of the room, interior decoration is modern and elegant. I had a spacious living room. The bed is very comfortable. Bathroom is spacious and nice but no bathtub. Service is prompt and friendly. My room is very quiet at night. Complementary water is provided. Breakfast is delicious. Concierge is quite helpful on direction. It is also at a great location. Macy and Nordstrom is right nextby. There are many good coffee shops nearby as well. A must stay hotel.

Room Tip: Request a room facing outside if you want some city view.
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled on business
Salem, Oregon
Reviewed December 11, 2012

This is our second time staying at the Nines, in Portland. We have stayed both times on the club level, which is well worth the extra cost. The service, the food, the drinks and the atmosphere in the club lounge are unparalleled. It offers guests an alternative place to relax and enjoy their time away. We especially enjoyed the small bites and cocktails prior to heading out for our dinner reservation.

Our room, this time, felt slightly upgraded from our last room (which was also beautiful). We had reserved a king bed, city view room and we were given a very large room on the quieter side of the hotel, which had some nice expansive views facing toward the river and the bridges. The room featured much more floor space, dark hardwood floors, a larger closet, and bigger bathroom. Needless to say, we were thrilled with this room. It was quiet, dark at night and had a very comfortable bed. We slept great, which isn't always a given on the first night in a hotel.

All of the service, from the front desk staff (Stevie, at check-in) to the concierge, attendants in the lounge, valet and the baggage handlers, where incredibly friendly and efficient. We never waited long for anything and everyone was glad to help.

As we left, the valet said "please come back and stay with us again!", and I quickly replied, "we most definitely will!". And, we will.

3 Thank dollface-30
FredKleisner, General Manager at The Nines, a Luxury Collection Hotel, Portland, responded to this review, December 13, 2012
It is wonderful to hear that you have enjoyed your stays at the Nines! I am at your service if I can be of any future assistance and we look forward to welcoming you back again soon!

fred.kleisner@thenines.com
Eugene, Oregon
Reviewed December 10, 2012

My wife and I recently stayed 3 nights in a one bedroom suite and were a bit dissappointed. We paid $489. nightly plus taxes for which we expected top notch lodging

The Good:

Room sizes.
The views.
Helpful service.

The not so good:

The bathroom layout,lighting, tub and over tub shower very poor.
Not as clean as expected. Trays and left over food left in hallways for two days.
We had club access. Food was marginal in the club.
Paid $10.00 for four hours of music on our TV.

To be considered a four star plus hotel, we believe it is the little things. There were too many of the little things missing in addition to my comments above.

Gordon G.

2 Thank gordonG999
FredKleisner, General Manager at The Nines, a Luxury Collection Hotel, Portland, responded to this review, December 11, 2012
I appreciate your comments and I apologize that you did not have a more pleasant experience. I have followed up with my team in regard to the issues you described and we will use this as an opportunity to improve for our future guests. I hope we are able to welcome you back and please feel free to contact me if I can be of any further assistance.

fred.kleisner@thenines.com