3,262 results
All reviewsurban farmerthe club loungerooftop bardeparture restaurantdeparture loungepioneer squaredepartment storeturn down servicetop floorconcierge deskcity viewbeautiful hotelheart of downtowncorner roomvalet parkingvalet servicefitness center
Reviewed September 17, 2012

Really enjoyed this hotel and all the staff we came in contact with. Everyone seemed genuine and really take an interest in the guests and providing great service from the valets to housekeeping and everyone in between. As per other review, you just can't beat the location as you can definitely cover a lot of downtown Portland by foot and the transit system. We had a lovely surprise from management as we were there to celebrate an anniversary-so thoughtful.

The Club Lounge is fabulous and a great place for a quick light morning breakfast and wonderful desserts and coffee in the evening. Super kind staff there as well. We ended up staying an extra night and the front desk staff were wonderful in arranging this with no issues.

Highly recommend Urban Farmer. We had dinner at Departures, I think next time we would take in Happy Hour here and opt for dinner at Urban Farmer.

We will certainly come back to Portland and stay at the Nines again...very soon hopefully!!

Room Tip: Go with the Club Floor-well worth it!
Reviewed September 17, 2012

We enjoyed our stay at the Nines and would absolutely stay there again. We had a city-view room on the 12th floor.

Our room was large, with a city view, nicely decorated and was clean (they have hard wood floors - which is great for cleanliness). I don't think the bed was the Heavenly Bed that you normally get with Starwood. I would recommend the 12th floor/club level they have a lounge area with breakfast, snacks throughout the day and alcoholic drinks in the evening, and bowls of candy. I highly recommend it - well worth the money, even to just grab a coffee before you go out for the day.

We went to the Departure Lounge, it had a great view, great scene and good prices (compared to Vancouver, Canada). I had the Sangria and it was terrible but I had a few glasses of Prosecco after and that was fine.

We also had a late dinner/snack at the Urban Farmer which was very good.

The service wasn't outstanding but it was good enough. It was odd that the check-in was on the 8th floor and the ground floor was staffed with the valets and bell-hops who weren't particularly welcoming. Just used to more welcoming staff at the price we are paying.

Tip:
There are parking garages a block away we parked for 4 days and it was cheaper than one day of valet parking at the hotel (which is $39)

Room Tip: Get a city view room. I read some other posts that said to get an atrium room - I don't see how that would be good. We had no street noise and had somewhat of a view. Spend the extra $ to upgrade to the club level room floor.
Reviewed September 17, 2012

We had a fine stay at this hotel, particularly since we were on the Club floor which provided a well-serviced place to have breakfast and snacks. The staff in the Club were excellent, very professional and helpful.

The location allowed us to see a lot of Portland and eat at nice restaurants within walking distance. The transportation system, which is usually free in the central area, had just gone to a fee system. But they ran well and were clearly signed so it was easy to get around.

The only problem with the location is that there seems to be a large indigent population that hangs out nearby. And also the central location had huge crowds on the weekend when they were having a large music festival while we were there. The noise ended relatively early in the evenings(10 PM) but was obtrusive in the afternoons. If we had known it was going to be going on the weekend we were booked, we might have chosen to stay elsewhere.

Reviewed September 17, 2012

So, we are planning a trip to the Nines, and I decided to pick up the phone to make a reservation for once. Jeffrey Fong answered my call at Starwood reservations, and he was wonderful!!! He helped me save $100 and gave me great advice on making future reservations. I know this is strange to put under a hotel, but I just had to sing his praises somewhere.

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled with family
Reviewed September 16, 2012

My husband and I spent a week at the Nines at the end of August. We were excited to stay at the hotel. We had heard great things about the hotel, both from the reviews on tripadvisor and from people we talked to while planning our trip. Our experience was generally very good.

The rooms
Our initial room was an atrium view suite that faced the Urban Farmer restaurant. The atrium view room was noisy from the restaurant below and extremely dark, both because it didn’t get any natural light and because the room was poorly lit. After several discussions with the front desk we were, thankfully, able to resolve a mix up in our reservation by moving to a city view suite. Our room was spacious and clean. Perhaps for energy efficiency reasons, the bathroom was poorly lit. We kept thinking there was another light switch that was hidden somewhere. I did enjoy the Bee Kind toiletries. The free WIFI was annoyingly weak. If we had been staying for business purposes we would have been forced to pay for the stronger WIFI connection.

The lobby
The lobby of the Nines is on the 8th floor. What this means is that after checking into the hotel, there is no reason to go past the lobby to go in and out of the hotel. The street level entrance is essentially an extended bell desk. I didn’t think this would make as much of a difference as it did. I missed the sense of “community” that comes from entering and exiting through a lobby and being greeted by the people there. After a few days, we felt more like we were staying in an apartment building rather than in a hotel.

The restaurants
We had dinner at Departure, which was good, though pricey. The view from Departure was great. Our breakfasts at the Urban Farmer were very good.

Location
The hotel was in the perfect location for our week in Portland. We were within walking distance to most of the places we wanted to visit. The light rail was steps away from the hotel.

The Service
The service at the hotel was adequate. We had the feeling that we might have experienced more “above and beyond” service if we had been club level guests. Club level guests seemed to enjoy more and better services and amenities.

If we were able to reserve a club level room, with a city view, at a good price, we might give the Nines another try. If any of these elements were missing, we’d try another hotel.

Room Tip: Reserve a city view room, on the club level if possible. Avoid the atrium view rooms.
  • Stayed: August 2012, traveled as a couple