“Chic Boutique...”

The Nines, a Luxury Collection Hotel, Portland
Ranked #23 of 144 Hotels in Portland
GreenLeadersGold level
Reviewed August 12, 2012

Used Starwood points to stay at this Chic Boutique hotel.. My daughter and I conferred that it felt more like a boutique hotel than a than a Starwood .The elegant decor, spacious room, attentive staff, and fabulous location... all tre' chic. The restaurant and bar rooftop is a must see for the spectacular view.

• Stayed: May 2012, traveled with family
1  Thank LA H

Reviewed August 11, 2012

The first review I wrote of a hotel was a review of The Nines. I was moved to do so because I saw other reviews that were less than totally awestruck. We loved The Nines. We have just been back, and I will tell you honestly that some of the things others have said now ring true. Please do not think that The Nines does not still have much charm. It does. The location is great--right in the center of Portland. The concierge lounge (although adult oriented) is superb. And I adore the Urban Farmer.

We had been there twice before and our rooms were great. This time we had the tiny rooms with one hard back chair. So, they do exist--just as others have said. The bathroom was cramped. The most surprising thing to me was that the quality of service by the front desk was low. We did not get the type of room we had reserved and I was told that was unfortunate but they were sold out of the range of rooms we could be offered. And this was the fault of the central reservation system. Better rooms were available at an increased cost but not in the price range we had reserved.

I still think that The Nines is a beautiful hotel, but I admit to some disappointment at both the quality of the room (and until now, I really thought they only had lovely large well-decorated rooms and that others were just whining) and the attitude displayed--in fairness, not by all, but by some of the staff. While I can not say that I would not return to The Nines at some future date (it is lovely in many ways), I do think I might want to check out some other hotels on my next visit. Perhaps I will find that my disappointment only arises from the high bar they had set on my previous visits.

I still love the Urban Farmer. We ate there twice, and it has the best collection of vegetable sides I have ever had in a restaurant anywhere, any time.

Room Tip: The rooms vary in quality more than in most hotels. Be sure that you are getting a class of room th...
  • Stayed: August 2012, traveled with family
1  Thank Texastravveler
FredKleisner, General Manager at The Nines, a Luxury Collection Hotel, Portland, responded to this reviewResponded August 22, 2012

I appreciate you taking the time to share your feedback. I apologize that we did not meet your needs on your last visit. I am pleased to hear your past visits have been wonderful and we will look forward to exceeding your expectations in the future.

Fred Kleisner, GM
Fred.kleisner@thenines.com

Reviewed August 11, 2012

Steps away from Pioneer Square and right near a light rail stop it was a great spot to get around the city. The room we had was huge, though our friends ended up with a much smaller space. The rooms were all nicely appointed but the smaller room was definitely a little bit of a squeeze. Staff was always on the ball and very friendly, especially the bellhops in the lobby (without being annoying). As for the amenities - Roof top lounge was awesome. Great scene and a wonderful spot to spend a summer evening. Restaurant in the lobby was also a pleasant surprise. Fantastic dinner.

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed August 10, 2012

We stayed at the Nines for a splurge on a pacific northwest road trip. Got a great deal and were super pleased with our stay. Big, beautifully appointed rooms, interesting lobby, great service and a terrific location across from Pioneer Square. We will definately stay there again..if we can get a great deal.

Room Tip: Try to get an outside room not one on interior courtyard.
  • Stayed: July 2012, traveled with family
Reviewed August 10, 2012

The title says it all. They did a nice job with the decor and the vibe. It reminds me a lot of the Comsopolitan in Las Vegas. Chrome, dark wood, white appolstry. Thing is, the rooms are so small, you can't move around the furniture. The light switches and electrical outlets are all hidden behind the furniture. I had to call the front desk to ask where the light switch was last night when I got it in so I could turn it off. I had to move the desk to plug in this computer I'm on. When I opened my blinds this morning, I realized it overlooks the atrium, not even a view of the sky.

It's in a great location and the Departures restaurant/bar on the top floor is a hot spot. The atrium restaurant sells a cup of Stumptown coffee for $3 ?? Very nice fitness center.

Room Tip: The atrium-facing rooms are quiet, but you look out onto the lobby and into other people's rooms...
  • Stayed: August 2012, traveled on business
1  Thank OliverA3

Thank you for your comments. We do have many different views and room types and I would be happy to assist in finding an accommodation that meets your needs for any future stays. We have electrical outlets in the left hand side of the desk for your convenience as well as in the lamps on the nightstand. We have begun serving complimentary coffee in our lobby from 6am - 8am and hope that you will be able to enjoy this service in the future. Please feel free to contact me if you would like to discuss anything further.

Fred Kleisner, GM
Fred.kleisner@thenines.com

Reviewed August 8, 2012 via mobile

Stayed for a business meeting. The rooms are not your run of the mill 'chain' hotel. They are very comfy and quiet. Service is wonderful, and you can't beat the location. Very easy to/from PDX via the lite rail system. Nice walk to the many restaurants in the downtown Portland.
Pearl St restaurants are about a mile away.

• Stayed: August 2012
Reviewed August 8, 2012

The Nines has pleasant and very modern styling. It is slightly unusual with the registration on the 8th floor.

Walking past the fitness center it appeared to be better than most with a few treadmills, stationary bikes, and a couple other machines.

The service is excellent with friendly staff and even a complimentary evening turn-down service with a small chocolate, ice, adjusted lights and music playing over the TV.

The rooms have new, modern styling, are very clean. They are pleasant at night, but dark during the day due to small windows and large draperies.

Although another hotel I stayed at in downtown Portland don't offer a turn-down service, it did have similarly pleasant, clean rooms for a lower price.

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled on business