“Surprised and Delighted”

The Nines, a Luxury Collection Hotel, Portland
Ranked #23 of 146 Hotels in Portland
GreenLeadersGold level
Reviewed April 29, 2012

Delightful, warm, personal staff. Special accolades to the valet and welcoming door staff, Mark and Jason. They made me feel like their best customer. And no matter how busy, the always had a kind word. What great way to arrive and the property day in and out.
Well appointed, elegant rooms.
Solid restaurants.
Unbeatable location

• Stayed: April 2012
Write a ReviewReviews (3,000)

Reviewed April 26, 2012

Stayed at the Nines, Portland for a conference last week. This is the most clean, friendly, enivornmentally conscious, gorgeous hotel I have ever stayed. An old neat building with gorgeous interior. Charlotte

Room Tip: All rooms are great
Reviewed April 24, 2012

Hi, I just came back from Portland and had a wonderful stay at The Nines. I was hesitant between this property or the Westin two blocks away and let me tell you that I do not regret a bit my decision. Of course there are some area of opportunities that I would resume in two as the most important (at least for me). 1) $39 usd for valet parking per day seems excesive guys. There are many options around the hotel for a quarter of that. I know it was my fault no reviewing this issue before and its good that you offer some hotel + parking packages but the it is not a good surprise to find out this when checking out. 2) No Plat upgrade as SPG Plat Elite member. I know, you were busy but my stay could have been perfect if instead of an Atrium View Room and would have gotten a Street View Room instead. I was little time at the hotel itself but yes, the room was kind of dark and daylight its nice. Besides those two comments, the hotel and staff were great. I forgot the name of the concierge that helped us get to Cannon Beach and Tillamook for a day trip, but we enjoyed her advice very much. The bathroom was modern with a walk in shower (I hate bathtubs and batch curtains). The bed confortable and both restaurants were excellent. Please visit them, and if you have an extra day or so, also visit Jake's Famous Crawfish which is like ten blocks away.

Room Tip: Club room floor definitively.
  • Stayed: April 2012, traveled on business
FredKleisner, General Manager at The Nines, a Luxury Collection Hotel, Portland, responded to this reviewResponded April 30, 2012

Thank you for the feedback you have provided both positive and negative; we are always looking for ways to improve operations of our property. Our overnight parking rate is consistent with all downtown hotels and I apologize if this was not brought to your attention prior to your departure. Due to our high occupancy levels it is difficult to upgrade our Platinum guests on every stay, however feel free to reach out to me directly for any future stays and I will be happy to assist with your accommodations. I have passed your comments along to my team and we look forward to welcoming you back soon!

Reviewed April 23, 2012

We had a girlfriends getaway trip in Portland and were thrilled to have chosen to stay at The Nines. The hotel is hip and the color palette of the rooms are decorated with a woman's eye in mind. Turquoise, grey, and champagne tones with a chaise and beautiful wallpaper. The beds were very comfortable with fluffy duvets and extra pillows. Organic bath products.

We would definitely visit The Nines again!

• Stayed: February 2012, traveled with friends
Reviewed April 22, 2012

We stayed here for one night on a weekend trip to Portland. I booked the hotel because it looked so beautiful online and I wanted to be spoilt for the weekend. Our king sized room cost around $300 (inc. tax) which didn't even include breakfast and it really wasn't worth it.

Good points:
Great location - right in the city centre, you can walk every where.
Nice communal areas
Large and well equipped fitness centre

Less good:
Parking was $40 for 1 night
Room was small
When we arrived we were surprised to find a vacuum cleaner and dirty linens left in our room. When someone arrived to collect them, he didn't give us time to answer between knocking and walking in the room - if he'd been 5 minutes longer he would have caught me getting changed.
'Boutique-style' furnishings, pale blue velvet chairs, getting worn and tatty.
Noise - our room was next to an emergency stair case but people were clearly using it to move around the hotel, so my Sunday morning lie-in was cut short by the sound of people running up and down a metal staircase which sounded like it was directly overhead.

If I'd paid $180 for this room, none of those issues would have even registered, but at that price I expect a better standard of service and accommodation.

Room Tip: Ask for a room away from an emergency staircase if you want a decent night's sleep.
  • Stayed: April 2012, traveled as a couple
4  Thank NjyD
FredKleisner, General Manager at The Nines, a Luxury Collection Hotel, Portland, responded to this reviewResponded May 1, 2012

I appreciate you taking the time to share feedback regarding your recent stay with us. I would like to apologize for the issues you experienced and I have followed up with our Housekeeping team to prevent this type of experience in the future. Thank you for your perspective and we hope to welcome you back soon. Please feel free to contact me if you would like to discuss anything further.

Reviewed April 22, 2012

This hotel is one of my favorites! Ever. Super nice staff. Really comfortable surroundings. Very classy. And not pretentious at all. If I could, I would ALWAYS stay here when visiting Portland. It's also a really good location!

• Stayed: June 2011, traveled as a couple
1  Thank UrbanFoodCrawl

Thank you so much for taking the time to provide this wonderful feedback! We are so pleased you have enjoyed your experiences at the Nines and we look forward to welcoming you back soon.

Reviewed April 21, 2012

I stayed at the Nines 4x in the month of April with my wife while doing business in the Portland area. This hotel soon became a home away from home and I felt welcomed by name by familiar faces such as Brandon Hoerner at the front desk and Mark and Alex at the bell desk. The hotel is a unique boutique hotel with interesting art in the lobby and a wonderful restaurant -Urban Farmer. I enjoyed being at the hotel during the week because it was much quieter then on the weekend. There are many different rooms to choose, however I enjoyed the outside room on the higher floor with a view. The location is great, in the center of Portland walking distance to everything. I did not like that the business center did not have complimentary computer/internet since I did not bring a laptop. I will definitely return to this hotel when I return to Portland.

Room Tip: Inside rooms were noisy on weekend from restaurant. We moved to an outside room which was much bette...