“Trendy and Luxurious-- a rare find”

The Nines, a Luxury Collection Hotel, Portland
Ranked #24 of 146 Hotels in Portland
GreenLeadersGold level
Reviewed December 30, 2011

i was hesitant to book @ the nines fearing it would be more of a W experience and less luxury collection. I was wrong, the rooms are very well appointed. We had a room on the club level, and the service/food/refreshments were excellent. The club staff bent over backwards to help my spouse plan her day of shopping and exploring Portland while i had to work. The location is excellent with many dinning and shopping choices you can walk too. For me it was the perfect mix of a stylish property and customer service with out the snob factor you get at a get a Ritz or St Regis. This is my new base of operations when traveling to Portland.

Room Tip: The club level is worth the extra cash
  • Stayed: December 2011, traveled on business
Write a ReviewReviews (3,004)

Reviewed December 29, 2011

This hotel is our favorite SPG property in Portland. We love staying here! The service is always professional and friendly, and the decor of the hotel is fun. The rooms are on the small side, but very comfortable and have all the amenities. The decor in the rooms is great - I wish I could decorate my house with all of the items in the guest rooms! The restaurant in the lobby of the hotel, The Urban Farmer, is amazing! You have to have Eggs Benedict for breakfast - you won't truly experience your stay unless you do. Great location near Pioneer Courthouse Square, MAX line, and lots of great shopping. Enjoy your next visit!

• Stayed: June 2011, traveled as a couple
Reviewed December 29, 2011

I honestly enjoyed my stay at the Nines. It's beautiful, comfortable and inviting without being over the top trendy. Location is excellent. Nightly turn down service, free internet and hard working doormen are greatly appreciated. "Departure" restaurant/bar is one of the best in the city!

Areas that fell short:
With the exception doormen and initial check-in; was never greeted/acknowledged by anyone?
However pretty; my room was small and over furnished making it difficult to maneuver. Carpet and Chaise had visable stains.
Bed was nothing special. Westins and W's have better bedding/more pillows.
Toiletries look cheap and could of used more of them...
TV was slow to respond. On-Demand options sometimes didn't load/stopped working.
Getting a drink in the lobby/Urban Farmer area was difficult. 2 evenings at 10:25 there was no servers to be found? Simple signage telling guests to go to the bar would of been better than waiting around for no one. We talked to other guests with the same issues...

Again I enjoyed my stay; however service levels and basics you'd expect from a hotel of this caliber are simply missing. I don't understand how the Nines attains a 5 star rating. It should'nt be promoted as a Starwood Luxury Collection property either...

• Stayed: December 2011, traveled as a couple
FredKleisner, General Manager at The Nines, a Luxury Collection Hotel, Portland, responded to this reviewResponded January 4, 2012

Thank you for the feedback you have provided both positive and negative; we are always looking for ways to improve operations of our property. I appreciate you recognizing the efforts of our doormen and I have passed along your compliments. I apologize that our bedding did not meet your needs as our mattress’s and bedding generally receive positive feedback. We have recently made efforts to enhance our amenity packaging and hope when these changes are implemented they will have a positive impact going forward. Our housekeeping and engineering teams strive to keep our furniture, carpet and TVs at the highest standard and I will be following up with them in regard to your comments. If you would like to discuss anything further please feel free to contact me.

Fred Kleisner
Fred.kleisner@thenines.com

Reviewed December 25, 2011

I stay at the nines about once a month and each of my visits has been pleasant. The decor is stylish and I enjoy being at a hotel that feels trendy, without making me feel out of place like a W can do. Even though I don't have a dog, I enjoy that dogs are allowed and I get to see them in the elevators. The brownie bit and bottled water at turndown are great.

I'm able to control the temperature in the room quite well. Because I'm traveling solo, the lack of a top sheet is fine, but if traveling in pairs with separate internal thermometers, you might wish to request top sheets so you have options to regulate your temperature.

I've stayed on the club floor one time, and it was very welcoming. I was only there at cocktail hour and the food seemed high quality (charcuterie mostly) but made for an odd plate of bites. The staff in the club were very helpful and friendly and it was a great place to relax away from the scene of the bars.

I really don't care for the green packaging of the toiletries. I know the goal is to be green, but the packaging feels cheap and is unpleasant to use. The toiletries themselves are nice - my issue is purely the packaging. I appreciate the other green options, especially the extra Starwood points if you decline room servicing.

The TV is frustratingly slow to change channels, and I've had a least two different TV's where the brightness of the image keeps fading up and down as I watch. It's very odd. I appreciate the free wifi. The room keys demagnetize very easily. I know not to keep them near my phone, but even putting them near a credit card seems to kill them. This happened to me, and I also shared elevators several times with others with dead keys.

The food in Departures is fine Asian fusion. Better is the food from Urban Farmer/room service. The fries are so good. On most of my visits I've gotten a coupon for a free slider during Happy Hour. I've not been able to use them yet, but my colleagues swear by them. Room service has been willing to go off menu for simple requests if they can, which is kind for those far from home.

Room Tip: The standard rooms with 2 queens are much larger than the king room.
  • Stayed: December 2011, traveled on business
1  Thank CCQueenAnne
Reviewed December 24, 2011

Loved it hear. I was here for business.
The room was really comfortable. The food is very good. Staff very efficient and friendly. Great central location. Would recommend this hotel.

• Stayed: September 2011, traveled on business
Reviewed December 23, 2011

I stayed at The Nines while attending a conference in Portland. It’s a beautiful hotel with a great bar/restaurant and cool roof top lounge. It’s a fairly young crowd, but not too raucous. I wouldnt call it a traditional hotel, but a more trendy, upscale, fashionable type of hotel. The rooms are decorated beautifully and the service was just right. I would definitely recommend.

• Stayed: June 2011, traveled on business
Reviewed December 18, 2011

This was the second time that we've stayed at The Nines and overall we've been very impressed. But our experience this year had some glitches that we'd not had on our prior visit 2 years ago.

The location is outstanding! Right across from Pioneer Square, The Nines is an easy walk from shopping and public transportation, with ready access to just about anything in Portland that you may want to explore. The rooms are on the small side but well appointed. We would have been happier if the room temperature were more stable at night -- it seemed to shift from cold to warm to cold -- and if there was better lighting in the rooms that would make reading easier. (yes, some people still read....). in all other respects the room was quite comfortable. The environmentally friendly toiletry items were a nice touch and the paper based containers meant that you could actually get most of the shampoo/conditioner/shower gel out of the container! Food at the restaurants was priced at typical hotel rates but was quite good. The only other issue related to valet parking. On two of the three times we requested our car they claimed no one had contacted them (though once we went to the front desk and the second time we went to the main floor valet parking desk!) we then requested out vehicle a second time and it eventually arrived but took 35+ minutes in total. Fortunately, we'd left plenty of time before our scheduled events but it could have been disastrous if we'd been on a less flexible timetable. The valet desk claimed that the front desk always called the wrong location and the front desk claimed this was an ongoing problem "they get busy when there are lots of cars". Unfortunately neither of these explanations is helpful when waiting in the cold December air....

As I said, we were otherwise quite pleased with The Nines and would likely stay there again but this valet problem made us wonder a bit about whether things were slipping.

• Stayed: December 2011
1  Thank LotsaTraveling
FredKleisner, General Manager at The Nines, a Luxury Collection Hotel, Portland, responded to this reviewResponded December 22, 2011

I appreciate your comments and am pleased that you had an enjoyable experience overall. I am currently investigating the issue with our valets and I apologize that you had to endure such long waits for your car. Thank you for your kind words in regard to our green ethos and location. We hope to welcome you back again in the near future. I am at your service if you would like to discuss anything further.

Fred Kleisner, GM