“Great hotel!”

GreenLeadersGold level
Arlington, VA
“Great hotel!”
Reviewed September 30, 2011

Very nice boutique-style hotel from a major brand. While some people on here had a few issues, I don't have anything bad to say. However, i did read the negative reviews and contacted the hotel ahead of time to ensure I didn't have the same problems. A few days prior to my arrival, i emailed them and asked for a coffee maker in the room (it was a super nice Kuerig), extra pillows, and a room not near the elevator so it would be quiet.

Only slight drawback: Most upscale hotels these days have preprinted maps of local running routes. They didn't have one and two people at the front desk looked at me with blank stares when i asked about running routes (they obviously don't run). However, another employee overhear the conversation and he grabbed a map and drew one out for us.

Great things: The bed is incredibly soft and both restaurants are very good.

Room Tip: Contact the hotel ahead of time and ask for a room that isn't close to the elevator.
  • Stayed September 2011, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (728)
Renton, Washington
Reviewed September 30, 2011

I booked this hotel on the purely on the fact that it was showing as a 5 star hotel. In my opinion this was not a 5 star hotel. Our room was average, I have stayed at a nicer Red Lion, There was no window to the outside. It overlooked the restaurant and bar, this made going to sleep hard since there was so much noise. The staff were nice but not overly helpful. I do not think i will be staying there again, so much more I could do with $250 a night.

3 Thank boomer1960
FredKleisner, General Manager at The Nines, a Luxury Collection Hotel, Portland, responded to this review, October 5, 2011
Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback. I apologize that your room accommodation did not meet your expectations. We do have many different types of views and room sizes at our property and I would be happy to speak with you to assist in finding a room that better suits your preferences for any future stays you have with us.

Fred Kleisner, GM
Fred.kleisner@thenines.com
Vancouver, Canada
Reviewed September 29, 2011

Easily the most luxurious hotel I've ever had the chance to stay in; it's quite swank and nears the edge of over-the-top but not going over. There is nothing to find fault with: the room was immaculately clean with a plush bed that you practically melted into, funky/chic furnishing that are retro in design but modern in functionality and top-notch services for those wanting to splurge on the finer things. The bathroom was fit for royalty. Service was crisp and efficient, from the front desk to the car-parking service (tip those lads, they work hard). We ate breakfast at the restaurant every morning and were never disappointed, walking away with a full tummy and not an empty wallet. We got a super deal for three days, something ridiculous like $100 US per night (plus, I think, an extra charge for parking, not sure though and best to check). A stay in a place as nice as this is well worth three times that amount. Centrally located in a non-dangerous part of downtown Portland, close to public transit, tonnes of shopping and the best brew-houses Portland has to offer, the Nines really lives up to its name. The best part is the automated voice in the elevator though - her pronunciation of 'lobby' remains a fond joke with my friends to this day. Seriously, you'll have a fantastic time here and you'd really, really need to hunt for anything wrong with this place - don't bother though, just have a fantastic time instead!

Room Tip: Check to see if valet parking has an extra charge.
  • Stayed June 2011, traveled as a couple
Miami, Florida
Reviewed September 28, 2011

I stayed at the Nines about 10 times May thru August 2011. Great valet service, great checking, executive lounge is nice. Workout facility is one of the best: ice water with fruit- great touch!
Clean, comfortable rooms. if I would change something: checkout ... bill under the door is something I prefer, but stop[ing on the 8th floor for check out was easy anyway...

• Stayed August 2011, traveled on business
Coeur d'Alene, Idaho
Reviewed September 27, 2011

Laurie Simms (concierge) was simply amazing in helping me set up my proposal ...from limos, dining, even sneaking into our room while we were at dinner to set up flowers, candles, etc. Everything was absolutely perfect! The staff at The Nines were fantastic, and we had great service, great food, no complaints at all. We will be sure to make The Nines "the" hotel to stay at every time we are visiting Portland!

Room Tip: go for the "club level"! It's woth it!
1 Thank Eric P
USA
Reviewed September 26, 2011

I stayed here with my wife and 8 mo. old daughter and overall we both agreed the nines hotel made our trip. Upon arrival we requested a crib for the room and within 20 minutes a crib was in our room - that's great service. Shortly after that, someone arrived with bottled water and ice for us. I always am annoyed when a hotel puts a bottle of water in a room and charges $10 for it - at the nines they bring it to you and it's included in the price. We were on the club level and went to the club room for apetizers when we arrived, dessert after the wedding we attended, and breakfast the next morning. It seemed at every point in our stay there was someone at the nines to help us out. My wife is begging me to go back . . . without the baby this time!

• Stayed September 2011, traveled with family
1 Thank mattmv
Menlo Park, California
Reviewed September 26, 2011

The nines is my favorite hotel in Portland. Stayed there 3 nights a week for 4 months and the staff was superb. Some of the rooms can be small and be sure to try and get a city view rather than an atrium view as the atrium can be a bit noisy. The Club Lounge for SPG Platinum members is terrific. Free breakfast each morning, snacks throughout the day and an open bar. If you're SPG Platinum there is no better place to stay in Portland The gym is clean and large with great equipment.

• Stayed August 2011, traveled on business