“Outstanding Reed graduation weekend”

The Nines, a Luxury Collection Hotel, Portland
Ranked #21 of 142 Hotels in Portland
GreenLeadersGold level
Connecticut
“Outstanding Reed graduation weekend”
Reviewed May 25, 2011

Everything about our stay at the Nines was outstanding. The staff couldn't do enough to make us comfortable.

• Stayed May 2011, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (728)
Short Hills, New Jersey
Reviewed May 25, 2011

I had a wonderful stay at this beautiful property! It is very centrally located with the light rail right outside the front door, and across from Pioneer Square & Pioneer Place.

I booked the 'Taste of Luxury' package that included breakfast at the Urban Farmer restaurant (and every 4th night free!). I had access to the club lounge (due to SPG status). The lounge was beautiful and well attended by very attentive servers, with creative hors d'oeuvres served during happy hour and delicious desserts later in the evening, along with free cocktails!

The Urban Farmer, located in the atrium off the 8th floor lobby, served deliciously fresh & imaginative food options! The breakfast hours did not fit my schedule, as service starts at 6:30am (even though the property website says 6am), but the manager was able to accommodate my needs for earlier service!

I would recommend this hotel to anyone who seeks something more unique, charming with beautiful surroundings!

• Stayed May 2011, traveled on business
Reviewed May 18, 2011

My husband and I recently attended a 3 day conference at the Nines. We didn't stay at the hotel as we live in the area, however I did want to comment on how incredible the facility and valet services were. The building is stunning inside and out, top to bottom, with glamorous details throughout. When I locked my keys in my car- with the ignition running and parked in front of the valet- all I had to do was call AAA and the wonderful valet attendants took care of the rest for me so I could make it to my seminar on time! Incredible service, and they wouldn't even let me take the blame for my parking faux pas! The Nines may be a 5 star hotel, but their service deserves 10 stars!

• Stayed April 2011
Los Angeles, California
Reviewed May 16, 2011

If you haven't been to the Nines as a SPG member, you are missing out on one of their best properties. It's been open for a couple of years, but having been newly designed, it is stunning. The decor is very tasteful, the service rivals that of a St. Regis. Be sure to visit the Urban Farmer organic restaurant-they also have a nice happy hour, which was just a bonus. Departure Restaurant is on the top floor and if the weather is nice, it's a treat. The location is close to shopping (next door). I have always found good rates, so it is a great value too.
I felt like I was on vacation while doing business in Portland.

• Stayed January 2011, traveled on business
FredKleisner, General Manager at The Nines, a Luxury Collection Hotel, Portland, responded to this review, May 17, 2011
We are so glad you enjoy our design and service ethos. We look forward to welcoming you back in the near future.

Fred Kleisner, GM
fred.kleisner@thenines.com
Seattle
Reviewed May 15, 2011

Excellent central downtown location. The hotel has a rooftop bar on the 15th floor and a beautiful atrium bar/restaurant on the 8th. Both were busy on the Friday we were there. Rooms are well appointed and of standard size. All employees were courteous and helpful.

• Stayed May 2011
Orange County, California
Reviewed May 15, 2011

I chose a "deluxe" room the Nines for my 4 nights in Portland because it advertised itself as a luxury hotel and I'd never stayed there. My tiny room with its tiny window faced the windows of the office building right next door. Barely enough room to walk between the bed and the furniture opposite it. The lighting in the bathroom was dim and yellow. I gave "sleep quality" 5 stars because the room was so dark, sleeping was easy. Loved all the staff I met except for the front-desk guy who acted irritated when I asked for a 2-hr extension on my check-out. Never again.

• Stayed April 2011, traveled solo
6 Thank dmmick01
Thank you for providing feedback regarding your recent stay with us. Given the historic nature of our building guest rooms do indeed have different views. It would be our pleasure to customize your next stay due to your view preferences. There is a dimmer switch in the bathroom from bright to low light for each guest to choose how much light they prefer. We are always happy to extend late check outs based upon availability I and sincerely apologize that your needs were not met. I truly appreciate the comments regarding our staff and sincerely apologize if your needs were not met. I hope we can exceed your expectations in the future.

Fred Kleisner
Fred.kleisner@thenines.com
New York City, New York
Reviewed May 12, 2011

This hotel is OK for party people, but not for customers seeking a luxury experience. The rooms and common areas, while trendy on the surface, are rather shabby, dusty and dirty. The hotel also uses the "Green Movement" as an excuse to strip away amenities like top sheets on the bed, expecting guests to sleep directly beneath the dirty comforters. All surfaces in the room were covered with an inch of dust and dirty finger prints, and the shower was infested with black mold. In addition, the elevators are packed with drunken revelers, causing long waits for actual hotel guests trying to access their rooms. Finally, the hotel does not offer any special amenities, or even a spa. In short, if you are looking for somewhere to host a stag party or feel cool amongst your frat brothers, this place is for you. If you care about cleanliness, relaxation, good service and attention to detail, stay far away.

• Stayed May 2011, traveled on business
13 Thank HRH2002
FredKleisner, General Manager at The Nines, a Luxury Collection Hotel, Portland, responded to this review, May 13, 2011
Thank you for taking the time to provide feedback regarding your stay. I would like to apologize for the experience you had with us. I assure you that this is not typical of the Nines service culture and I appreciate you bringing these issues to my attention. I understand that our green ethos does not please everyone, however while we do not provide a top sheet, we do wash our duvet covers upon every checkout and daily when service is requested. We have a top notch security team and do not tolerate excessive noise, but with two of the most popular restaurants in Portland, we do have an active energy on certain evenings and apologize for any inconveniences this may have caused you on a night that you were hoping to relax. If you have the time I am happy to discuss further.

Fred Kleisner, GM