“Love everything except the Valet Service.”

The Nines, a Luxury Collection Hotel, Portland
Ranked #17 of 141 Hotels in Portland
GreenLeadersGold level
Vancouver BC
“Love everything except the Valet Service.”
Reviewed April 26, 2011

This is now my official favorite hotel in Portland.
It has exceeded my expectations.

Everything was great including the staff.
A Luxury service w/ out the staff being snooty .
The Valet guys are Friendly except upon check out the 30 minute wait outside for my vehicle is un acceptable.
Although one offered to comp. the parking , there was no point on my end as I booked a Room & Parking Package.

The restaurant on the 15th floor was also great.
The food exceeded my expectations !
The rooms were spacious especially the washrooms.

Location Location Location !
Everything is literally steps away. From Macy’s to Pioneer Place to Nordstrom.

Oh if you are looking for quiet hotel… this might not be the place as it is in the centre of downtown
Which means you will hear the noise from the outside.. but hey I don’t mind

The Nines will definitely see me again … I hope there’s improvement with the valet by then.

• Stayed April 2011, traveled with friends
FredKleisner, General Manager at The Nines, a Luxury Collection Hotel, Portland, responded to this review, May 2, 2011
Thank you for the feedback you have provided both positive and negative; we are always looking for ways to improve operations of our property. I appreciate you recognizing the efforts of our associates and I have passed along your compliments. We have recently made efforts to enhance our Valet service and expect these changes to have a positive impact on service delivery time going forward. If you would like to discuss anything further please feel free to contact me.

Fred Kleisner
Fred.kleisner@thenines.com

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (715)
San Diego, California
Reviewed April 25, 2011

The Nines is about as comfortable as hotels come. It is perfectly located in downtown Portland overlooking some lovely historic buildings. The interior decor is very upscale: think Tiffany blue, white leather and crystal chandeliers. The rooms are nicely sized, the beds are wonderfully comfortable and the pillows perfect. We payed a few extra dollars to stay on the concierge floor with our teens and found that to be well worth it. We also reserved a corner room, which added to the sense of spaciousness. If Mom and Pop want an evening cocktail, the bar is very inviting. Next time I travel to Portland, I will not bother researching other hotels. I found this one to be both elegant and friendly, and will return.

Room Tip: Seek corner room on concierge floor
  • Stayed April 2011, traveled with family
Pacific Northwest
Reviewed April 13, 2011

Love. Love. Love this hotel. This is our 3 stay over the course of 2 years. Great friendly staff (not stuffy and uptight like so many boutique hotels). Great location, steps away from all the shopping my wife and handle. About 15 minutes away from the Premium Outlet malls via I5 south. Valet parking can be pricey, although okay if you do lots of in and outs. Otherwise there are lots of parking lots/garages abound for half the price. Overnight street parking is free (if you can find a spot). Good dinning options within the hotel. We prefer to visit the tons of great street food stalls 3 blocks away (9th and Adler... Thai Food Factory is our favourite). Rooms and washrooms are decent sized. We both love the decor. And get this... High speed internet is free. BONUS. If there is anything negative, it is that some of the white leather furniture have some minor stains (noticed on only one visit). What can a hotel do if guests are not careful? We will definitely be back!

• Stayed February 2011, traveled with family
Vancouver
Reviewed April 11, 2011

Just returned from a two-night stay at The Nines. I was cognizant of some of the less favourable reviews of this hotel but found it to serve my needs completely. Hotel staff were pleasant, though not overly memorable. The location of the hotel is unbeatable--right in the heart of downtown Portland--and within steps to restaurants and shopping (Macy's, Nordstrom, Nordstrom Rack, etc). We rented a car but didn't use hotel valet because there are a bunch of parking lots surrounding the hotel. The maximum price for day parking is $15 vs. $25+tip with the hotel. The rooms were very tasteful and modern. I enjoyed the Gilchrest and Soames amenities and the spacious washroom. Happy hour at the Urban Farmer restaurant was fantastic as well. We went for the early happy hour for cheap drinks and the late happy hour for cheap food. All in all, I would absolutely stay here again.

Room Tip: Book early
  • Stayed April 2011, traveled as a couple
Seattle, Washington
Reviewed April 10, 2011

The Nines is not just a wonderful Starwood property, but a great hotel in Portland, if not the best. Portland, which doesn't lack for great boutique hotels (Ace, Jupiter, DeLuxe, et al) has the great fortunate of a wonderful hotel that is in keeping with the city's cool factor, without being ostentatious. The hotel, which sits above Macy’s in Pioneer Center, is a great location. There are two types of rooms: those with views of the city, and those with inside views of the atrium. My room had a view of the atrium, which was disappointing, but luck of the draw, I suppose.
The rooms aver very comfortable. Wonderful beds, with minimal bedding – there was only a down comforter and sheet. There was a bar, a valet, and a unique TV credenza. The bathroom was small, but nice, with marble backings and some nice water-saving features (a nod to Portland, no doubt). Free Wifi was an unexpected treat as well. The room was very clean, everything worked, and I didn’t have to ask for any additional items or changes. Well done. The staff was friendly and attentive, from check in to the valet.
Valet parking is expensive, and as I later found out, not entirely necessary if you don’t require in and out service. The parking garage is on Alder street, shared with the Westin, and you can self park for $18 overnight. We waited up to 40 minutes for the valet on two occasions, most likely because of the weekend crowds, and the block and a half the valets had to cover in that time.
Overall, it’s a very comfortable hotel, perfect for a special outing like a romantic retreat or special vacation.

• Stayed January 2011, traveled with friends
1 Thank greener_007
Portland, Oregon
Reviewed April 10, 2011

I gave my niece a night at the Nines with 4 friends for her 12th birthday. I reserved two connecting rooms so my sister and I could supervise the girls. I was a little nervous that the hotel might be a little stuffy for 12 year old girls or the staff might not be very happy to see a "gaggle of girls" show up to their hotel on a busy Friday night, but just the opposite happened. The Nines staff was amazing; from the valet parking attendants (who went back to the car TWICE to retrieve missing items for the girls); staff that brought the luggage to our room (and who brought up more bathrobes and slippers for the girls); the women who provided turndown service (who gave them a handful of the little mints and extra bottled water) and the wonderful gentleman who delivered moonstruck chocolates on a silver tray with a hand written note to acknowledge my niece’s birthday. It was truly a memorable evening for my niece and her friends. And, my sister and I had a nice relaxing evening in our own beautiful room. This is not my first stay at The Nines Hotel; and it certainly won't be my last. I have recommended The Nines Hotel to several friends and all of them had nothing but wonderful things to say about their stay. We are fortunate to have such a wonderful hotel right in the middle of downtown Portland.

Room Tip: The club floor is wonderful.
  • Stayed February 2011, traveled with family
Seattle
Reviewed April 2, 2011

Location couldn't be better, right across from Pioneer Square. Hotel is beautiful and spotless throughout. Service impeccable, starting with curbside valets and continuing with front-desk, housekeeping and all other staff. The hotel occupies the former Meier&Frank department store as cleverly hinted by the maniquins gracing the lobby floor. Lobby is on floor 8, with sleeping floors above it. (Macy's occupies the lower seven floors.) All floors -- 8 to 14 -- surround a spectacular towering atrium, allowing guests a birds-eye view from the balcony of the happening scene below on floor 8 of informal meeting spaces, restaurant, and hopping bar. It's worth coming here for the architecture and interior design alone. We highly recommend this hotel and will definitely return.

• Stayed March 2011, traveled as a couple