“Amazing food”

La Bamba
Ranked #1,154 of 4,385 Restaurants in Portland
Cuisines: Mexican
Reviewed May 16, 2014 via mobile

We checked this site for a great recommendations and it sent us here. OUTSTANDING food, wonderful staff, Marguerite's are Tyne bomb. A must try, you will be glad you did.

1  Thank Sissycat57

Reviewed November 17, 2013

This was our first visit to La Bamba. We have passed by many times on our way to the "Original Taco House" further south on Powell Blvd. Some close friends insisted that we "just had to eat there". Am I glad we did! We have spent a good deal of time in Mexico and Central America and this restaurant has an incredible array of authentic and delicious dishes not found in your typical "Mexican restaurant" north of the Rio Grande. The wait staff and cook are friendly and helpful. Prices are moderate with large sized portions. The atmosphere is very pleasant and relaxing, complete with several wonderful portraits of the ubiquitous "Frida" Kahlo. I can see visiting La Bamba at least once a week for the rest of my life!

Reviewed July 16, 2013

I never write reviews, ever!! However this restaurant deserves the time and praise.
I am Mexican and lived in many parts of the USA because of the work I do, and this is quite possibly the best menú I have seen and the most authentic food we have eaten in USA, I am not talking about your run of the mill antojitos, or typical “dishes you can find anywhere” but great dishes, unpretentious service, and friendly staff “food paired with great service” still the ONLY formula to get people to come back. I work in the hospitality business and like I mentioned at the beginning, I simply do not write reviews but this place certainly deserves my time and my honest feedback
AR

Reviewed August 7, 2012

Ok, I have been going here since they first opened up in 2007, in SE Portland. Sometimes you have to wait a little for the staff to take your order, but the food, and friendly staff make up for it. Also, while you're waiting for order to be taken, they have a great selection of tequilas. Everything that I've had, I have never had a complaint about. My favorite thing to order is their, pollo en mole (Chocolate sauce on tender slices of chicken) mmmm mmmm mmmm :" ) I've had a lot of my friends eat there, and some are from Mexico, and they to rave about their food, so if I were you, I would definitely check it out!

Reviewed February 20, 2012

One day my husband & I were driving past the former location of Romo's La Jarra, & I opined aloud "Wouldn't it be wonderful if a truly original, authentic Mexican Restaurant opened in our neighborhood? One with a terrific menu, lots of original, interesting dishes, choices of beans, delicious rice, several great salsas & lots of yummy chips. Y'know, like Romo's used to be when he was still at 50th & Hawthorne?" About a month later, La Bamba opened, and all my wishes were granted! A fabulous addition to our neighborhood, with all I had hoped for & more. The menu has many delicious moles, interesting seafood, great tamales, and the margaritas are strong & cheap. The staff is attentive & friendly, although at lunch they can be hit or miss, so I'd recommend dinner only, at least for now.