“A lucky, lovey find”

Dining options: Late Night, Dinner, Outdoor Seating, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Cross street: 14th
Transit: Tri-met bus line 15
Description: Nostrana—literally 'ours' —invokes local. Simple food from honest ingredients. Pure. Regional. Italian. Opened in 2005, Nostrana is Chef/Owner Cathy Whims' love letter to Italy. This is a restaurant built on relationships: with our amazing farmers and purveyors, our dedicated staff, and of course with you, our guest. We hope to offer something timeless and authentic in a beautiful space, the regional specialties of Italy deeply rooted in the Pacific Northwest. We strive to be better every day.
Reviewed June 4, 2019

My son works around the corner, but hadn't eaten there yet. When I mentioned Italian, he wanted to try this place. Fabulous!
We'd been sampling Portland beer and wine (see Enzo winery review), so we had only water with dinner, but what an impressive bar and wine package they offer. And a fast, knowledgeable staff. Bunny provided, friendly excellent service, and it was easy she extended that type of service to all at the bar. The atmosphere is great - and it suitable for date night, family night, special occasions, etc. The smell from the wood burning grill will make all hungry, and the pies coming out of the wood burning oven are gorgeous and creative. No wonder so many James Beard award nominations.
We had the sauteed spinach with garlic and parmigiano; the overnight pork; and the pasta with bolognese. Really wanted to also have the fettucini with crab, but there are limits to how much one should eat. Besides, now I have a choice for the next visit.
Yes, this is really a great choice for a visit. On a night when the neighborhood was quiet, this place was jumping, and full until after 9:00.

Date of visit: June 2019

Reviewed May 31, 2019 via mobile

I love to eat out at nice restaurants, and live in a city with a lot of them (DC), so having a meal that is truly memorable means it has to be something really exceptional. That was my experience at Nostrana.
I really can’t say enough about the food here. Everyone in our party (4 of us) the next day was saying it was a meal we won’t forget for quite a while. From the burrata salad we shared, to each of our entrees (including two pasta dishes - I had their fettucine with shrimp in a lemon cream sauce, which was the lightest, most delicate pasta I’ve had in a very long time. My friend had their radiatorre with ragu - which was equally amazing).
The desserts were the big finish. Their panna cotta with rhubarb sauce was indescribably good - light and fluffy, not rubbery as panna cotta can often be - with an intensely rhubarb-y sauce over the top . It was amazing, as was the butterscotch budino and a delicious light cake.
Go.

Date of visit: May 2019
Reviewed May 21, 2019

There is a reason why Nostrana is so highly regarded in Portland, and that was demonstrated to us on the evening of our 40th wedding anniversary.

Although the evening got off to a disappointing start, as the staff could not find the yellow rose I had delivered for my wife (more about that later), we nevertheless had a marvelous experience.

Everything about the restaurant is first class, from the receptionist when we arrived, the meal, the service, the wine, the décor, and the surprise anniversary dessert at the evening’s conclusion.

This is a true Tuscan-style trattoria. My wife enjoyed her smoky rotisserie chicken, and I thoroughly enjoyed my radiatori al ragú (spicy short rib pasta). Both meals were excellently prepared.

I had pre-arranged an excellent Brunello from the wine list, and the recommendation more than met up to my expectations. Our server was phenomenal, and at the end we received a complimentary surprise anniversary dessert with the traditional candle.

Oh, the yellow rose? The flower was delivered to the restaurant, but a worker inadvertently placed it in a portion of the refrigerator where it was hidden from the manager’s eyes. When the flower was finally discovered a few days later, Nostrana’s manager contacted me and offered over-the-top apologies. Pure class! Sometimes, you can tell a lot more about a restaurant when things go wrong, than when they go right. That apology cemented Nostrana as one of our very best recent dining experiences.

Don’t even think about it -- go there and enjoy your evening.

Date of visit: May 2019
Reviewed April 14, 2019 via mobile

We found this place by chance and made a reservation for bar seating. That was so much fun. When I couldn't decide which white wine to have, our bartender/server let me try them both. I ordered the 'straw and hay' and it very good. You must also save room for dessert.
Our dinner was great, service was the same and we will be back!

Date of visit: April 2019
Reviewed April 14, 2019

We ate with fellow travelors from a trip to Italy last year. Nostrana is as good as any there and the food and atmosphere reminded me of those local italian places we loved so much from the trip. We live over 40 miles from Portland, but will make the trip again soon and often.

Date of visit: April 2019