“Worth the second try” 4 of 5 bubbles
Review of Nostrana

Nostrana
Reserve with OpenTable
Nostrana is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #41 of 4,238 Restaurants in Portland
Cuisines: Italian, Pizza
Good for: Bar scene, Business meetings, Families with children, Special occasions, Romantic, Large groups
Dining options: Dinner, Late Night, Lunch, Full Bar, Parking Available, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Cross street: 14th
Transit: Tri-met bus line 15
Portland, Oregon, United States
“Worth the second try”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 3, 2013

I went to Nostrana a number of years ago and had a less than savory experience. In fact, I vowed never to go back.

Well, you know what they say about making such grand proclamations . . .

We went back to Nostrana this week and boy was I wrong. The food, the service, the atmosphere were all fantastic. I had a really wonderful meal and know with 100% certainty (because everyone told me) that my family had a great meal.

We ordered a wide assortment of items off the menu - from the various salads (the radicchio salad is the best I have ever had in Portland) to the wonderfully decadent wood oven pizza. Everything was great. What made the evening most memorable was the excellent service.

At one point during the evening, a member of our dinner party wanted a group picture. The manager himself came over to take the photo. Talk about service.

I admit it - I was wrong. We will definitely be back to Nostrana and encourage families with small children looking for a nice night out at a "foodie" restaurant to consider Nostrana as well.

• Visited September 2013
    • 3 of 5 bubbles

Chicago, Illinois
“Lovely”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 28, 2013

Lovely room, excellent food, fine service. Went there expecting pizza, but the menu looked so good we couldn't fit it in.

Jersey City, New Jersey
“Fine, not great”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 28, 2013

Our experience here was very mixed, with some excellent moments, and some very disappointing moments.

We started with a pizza to share. It had Burrata cheese and squash blossoms.
It was *ok*
I love thin crust and the crust was very thin, the sauce was salty; I would even say too salty.
The burrata was absolutely tasteless. I think because it is so delicate a flavor, the salty sauce completely obliterated it.
For our mains we choose the Tagliata steak, a pork dish and a pasta dish.
The steak was enjoyed by eats eater - I stole a bite and thought it was ok, nothing special.
My pasta was very interesting and unique. It was tagliatelle with a sauce of cantaloupe, creme fraiche (?), black pepper and parmigiano cheese.. it was very good, but my $18 plate of pasta wouldnt have filled up a four year old child!
If it had 10 strands of tagliatelle I would be surprised. I was still starving after finishing it, and charging $18 for it was a crime.
But more disappointing than that was my mothers pork dish.
She LOVES pork, but I noticed she was just picking at it, and not enjoying it at all. I tasted it, and all you could taste was black pepper. I told her we should send it back but being the woman she is, she refused to do that. She finally gave it to me knowing that I was starving from my meagre portion, but it was totally inedible.
I was very upset that she hadnt sent it back. I had a few bites and my mouth was BURNING.
(and believe me, both of us can handle heat!!)

Luckily, things brightened up with dessert - we all thought our desserts were fantastic.
I had the butterscotch budino, which was AMAZING, mom had ricotta cheesecake which was the best version we've ever had, and the same goes for the outstanding tira misu my step dad had.
Serivce was fine, but our waiter had an obvious holier than thou attitude.
He served, but not one ounce of friendliness....Which in Portland is very unusual and sticks out like a sore thumb!!!

So all things considered, a very disappointing experience. Thank goodness the desserts ended things on a good note.
But with all the choices in Portland, I regret picking Nostrana, and would nver go back.

• 1 of 5 bubbles
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank nellynel
San Francisco, California
“Wonderful find!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 17, 2013

We loved everything about the restaurant. The service was great--personable and efficient. The salads were amazing--just a few, perfect ingredients with wonderful dressing. The crab pizza was one of the best pizzas we have had anywhere; a great crust, with a balance of topping. The wines went well with our food. The only small issue was the summer fruit crisp which we ordered early because the menu said it took 20 minutes to prepare. We had a bit of a wait for it and it arrived straight out of the oven--really too hot to eat. But everything else was so good we'll definitely go on our next trip to Portland.

Lima, Peru
“Best Pizza ever!!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 11, 2013

This restaurant was a pleasant surprise. The Nostrana salad is very very good and the pizza is amazing!

Visited July 2013