“Much better than the strip mall location implies”
Review of Nostrana

Nostrana
Reserve with OpenTable
Nostrana is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #37 of 4,430 Restaurants in Portland
Cuisines: Italian, Pizza, Wine Bar
Good for: Romantic, Families with children
Dining options: Dinner, Late Night, Outdoor Seating, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Cross street: 14th
Transit: Tri-met bus line 15
Reviewed August 6, 2013

Food was good, but no flexibility on the menu. Service was excellent. We made a reservation, but went earlier as a walk in and were seated much earlier than our reservation. I had the Tagliata - flat iron steak grilled, with sliced arugula, garlic-rosemary oil. It was delicious. We opted to sit outside since the inside seemed quite loud. I felt it was a bit pricey, but overall, it was a nice dinner.

Reviewed August 6, 2013

We met friends here while visiting in Portland. While other submitters note that this is in a strip mall, once you enter it has a great atmosphere. Our service was very good and attentive. The food was good, some of the dishes really good. The signature salad doesn't seem like you might like it, but is worth the try. The pizza was yummy, gooey with cheese and infused with flavor.The cocktails were fresh and summery. Overall a nice meal.

Reviewed July 31, 2013 via mobile

My wife and I eat at Nostrana almost every time we are in the Great Gastropolis aka Portland. The insalata Nostrana is a must. The pizzas ate devine and the service prompt and attentive. There is ample free parking. What could go wrong?

Reviewed July 21, 2013

Nostrana is one of the best restaurants in SE Portland. Consistently excellent, even for a gluten free diner in an Italian establishment. Their salads: the signature radicchio salad, and the cannelini bean and tuna salad are always great. The summer cocktails at Nostrana are always creative, use fresh juices and hit the spot. Their excellent wine list can always be addressed by the wait staff. The staff is top notch as is the chef and owner Cathy Whims.

Reviewed July 17, 2013

There are so many wonderful things that can be said about Nostrana! For one, the parking is ample and free - something pretty rare in Portland. As other reviewers have pointed out, Nostrana is located in a strip mall, but that term kind of has a seedy connotation which in this case it shouldn't. The other businesses that share the parking lot are a yoga studio, a vintage electronics shop, a cute bar, and two dental offices.
We were about a half hour earlier than our luncheon reservation time, but there was no problem being seated. The reception person was very warm and welcoming and personable. We had a small but nice wooden table for two by a window overlooking the street and a park. Within 3 minutes, our server, Carrie, arrived with a carafe of water and the menus, followed shortly thereafter with a tray of rustic bread slices and some rosemary crusty bread triangles, served with olive oil. While it was delicious, I think the flavors would have been much enhanced if the bread had been served even slightly warmed instead of at room temperature.
Our server was helpful in our wine selection; in fact,she offered to bring me a small sample of each of the two red wines I was considering ordering a glass of so that I could taste each one. (Wonderful of her to do that, since I didn't care for either one and wound up with a yummy chianti).
The menu isn't overly filled with choices. My lunch partner ordered the house salad which he found exceedingly fresh and tasty. Really - I've rarely seen him practically inhale ANY dish, let alone finish it all. We chose to share a bay shrimp and pasta dish at about $15. The portion was tiny - really, not sufficient, in my opinion, to quell the appetite of even a small eater like me. However, the taste was wonderful, and would have been even rave-able if it had been more than lukewarm. That part was a bit disappointing.
Our server was demurely attentive - not one complaint there. Loved the fun and tasteful decor. Overall, a good experience, albeit overpriced for the size of the plates. You're in a great neighborhood for exploring the unique and quirky architecture of east Portland along with the neat shops nearby.