“Real Quality , value, convenience, great service, Clean place”

Clarion Hotel Portland Airport
Ranked #46 of 146 Hotels in Portland
Reviewed June 13, 2010

Having stayed at hotels around the country for business for the past 20+ years, I am rather picky about where I will stay. The Portland Airport Clarion is surprising in the number of positive things that distinguish it from other mid-price hotels. From the outset, the service staff have been polite, informative, and helpful. The rooms are clean and airy. There is a breakfast offering included in the price that is more than just cereal - with a number of fresh fruits, wafles, good coffee, juices, and so on. There is a reasonably sized pool and small, but functional excercise area. Free internet access and printer in the lobby. Conference rooms for rent as well. Tuesday nights the hotel brings in a performer ("The Voice") - a one man Frank Sinatra type singer with a taped "backup band", and offers complimentary finger food and non-alcoholic beverages; a very nice way to take a break from the day before heading out to dinner.

There is a free shuttle to the airport (about two miles away. My entire company stays there - from CEO on down - routinely because of all of the above. I've stayed there some 25 nights over the past year, and have found it a very convenient, clean, comfortable, cost-effective. What else can I say? For the money, you can't beat it.
DL

• Stayed: June 2010, traveled on business
1  Thank recology
ClarionPDXManagement, General Manager at Clarion Hotel Portland Airport, responded to this reviewResponded September 2, 2010

Dear recology,

Thank you for being a loyal guest at the Clarion! We enjoy having you here and of course the whole company! Thank you for a wonderful review, we look forward to your return!

Julia Pislegina-Olson

Reviewed May 28, 2010

I know the title of this review is a bit weird, but I'm a birder, and in an entire week walking around with my binoculars all over Oregon, I saw more birds from the 4th floor window of this hotel than anywhere else on my trip! (And two adorable small rabbits that were in almost constant view from our room.) Aside from that, if you need to stay near the Portland airport, this is a decent hotel. It's not the St. Regis or Four Seasons, but not a crappy Best Western either. We prepaid for our stay and got about a 10% discount, and we paid a bit extra to be on a high floor. We ended up on the top (4th) floor, which is what we wanted so that no one would be stomping around above us, and this also gets you a Tempurpedic mattress which is nice. The room was quite nice -- nice cotton sheets and comforter, microwave, small fridge, and actual porcelain coffee cups and real glasses for water (unlike the Hampton Inn we stayed in elsewhere). The bathroom was above average -- had a granite countertop.

Whether you care about birds and nature or not, ask for a top floor room overlooking the small lake right behind the hotel. You will be rewarded with a beautiful, peaceful view with lots of birds and rabbits.

But if you want to book a stay here in 2010, call the hotel directly and ask if the bridge construction on 205 is still ongoing -- there were massive traffic jams right outside the hotel almost the entire time we were there due to one or two lanes on the bridge being closed for major construction, and apparently this is going to take a long time to complete. We were here on the weekend and the traffic outside the hotel was horrendous in the evening but not a problem up until then. I imagine during the week at rush hour it's awful as well.

• Stayed: May 2010, traveled as a couple
1  Thank wren777
ClarionPDXManagement, General Manager at Clarion Hotel Portland Airport, responded to this reviewResponded May 31, 2010

Dear wren777,

First I would like to thank you for taking the time to leave us a review, it is very much appreciated. I am glad to see that you had a good stay with us here at the Clarion, and we hope to see you again. The lake behind the hotel is a well maintanted area for the wildlife and we do have families of rabbits that do come out to the property parking lot and back patio; as well as abundance of birds and other animals. The bridge construction should be completed by September, according to the ODOT website.

Reviewed May 23, 2010

I booked a night here because I had a 6 o'clock flight the next morning. The hotel is almost new, 4 stories with elevator, clean, modern and well designed. It's just across the 205 Freeway from the airport and right next to a Shari's restaurant. My room had Tempurpedic beds, a mirco and fridge, free wireless and broadband internet. There was a desk with task chair and a comfortable fixed back stuffed chair. The TV had a good selection of cable channels, though not full cable. Even though the hotel is located less than a mile from the terminal, the room was quiet. The drapes blocked out the light (important since I had to retire before sunset to get up early). The bathroom was equipped with a bathtub, plush towels and nice toiletries. The employees were very professional and pleasant. I got there early at 1pm, but the front desk rep was able to find a room and check`me in immediately. There was ample free parking up close and they have a shuttle van to the airport. I had a rental car so I didn't use the van. They serve breakfast items starting at 6am, but I had to leave for my flight before that, so I don't know what is offered.
This is my new favorite airport hotel for PDX. I really felt at home here and the price was very favorable for the value received, (less than some chains I consider 2 star category). I would regard it as a very high end 3 star or even 4 star out of 5 on a rating scale. I can't see how you could go wrong if you consider the price to be within your budget..

• Stayed: May 2010, traveled solo
1  Thank Charles V

Dear 2Chuck_Atlanta,

Thank you for taking the time to leave us a review, and let us know how much you enjoyed your stay. I am very glad to see that everything went well. If you are leaving early before breakfast starts the staff is always able to get a bagel or a muffin at your request, and coffee is 24 hours.
We hope to see you again in the future,

Reviewed May 19, 2010

This hotel is quite close to the airport and a convenient and comfortable place to transfer in/out of Oregon/Washington.

We've stayed here several times. The beds are in good shape and comfortable. Rooms are roomy and there is a reasonable work desk.

The breakfast is typical Choice Hotels hot breakfast. It's a bit crowded usually.

The hotel is long and the gym is at the far west end. But hey, that's why you are using the gym right?

Despite being close to the airport there isn't a noise problem. There is even a view out the back.

The only "issue" I've had is the front desk personal. I've asked several stupid questions and for help several times and have gotten everything from an east coast attitude sneering response to farm girl nice.

• Stayed: May 2010, traveled with family

Dear MNknow,

I really appreciate your feedback, I'm glad to see that you keep coming back to stay with us. Thank you for letting me know of the issue with the staff attitude, if you wouldn't mind contacting me I would really like to know what the situations were so we may immediately correct that problem. We take pride in superior customer care, and I am so sorry that you had experienced something different. Once again, I appreciate you bringing this to my attention.

We hope to see you again,

Reviewed May 3, 2010

Spacious rooms, close to attractions, wonderful breakfast and reasonably priced. Will stay again

• Stayed: May 2010, traveled with family

Dear oregonhowlands,

Thank you for taking the time to write a review, I am pleased to see you enjoyed your stay and found everything to your satisfaction!

Reviewed April 27, 2010

In my work as a regional manager for a major food company, I travel throughout the West with great frequency. I spend time in the Northwest, every other week. In my 30 year career, I have stayed at all the major hotel chains, and enjoyed their service and hospitality.
Every now and then, a road warrior will find a hotel that is extrordinary....and provides absolute diamond quality service. The hotel in the Portland market that typifies this description is the Clarion Hotel at the Portland OR Airport.
I make it a point to stay at this hotel, whenever I'm in Portland.
The service, cleanliness, and staff is similar to that of a 5 star hotel.
The value is tremendous. Each morning guests are treated to a delicious breakfast, and on Tuesday nights the hotel manager (Julia) hosts a Manager's reception, that is about the best I've ever seen. This reception is complete with drinks, delicious horsdevours, and music by a talented singer reminiscent of Frank Sinatra.
All this for under $100 most of the year!!!
I very rarely write a review unless I feel a hotel is really worthy....and this hotel is!!!
The best value in Portland!!!

Mike B.

• Stayed: April 2010, traveled on business

Dear cerealman,

Thank you so much for your kind words, it really means a lot! We appreciate the business that you bring to the hotel and your loyalty to us. We'll see you again on one of these Tuesdays!

Reviewed April 22, 2010

One of the cheapest good hotels near Portland airport. The rooms are clean and quiet, the staff are friendly and helpful, the breakfast is not brilliant, but has all the basic stuff.

• Stayed: April 2010, traveled as a couple

Dear Mamachoco,

Thank you for taking the time to leave us a review, we hope to see you again on your next trip to Portland!