“This is the one to stay at near the airport!!!!!”

Clarion Hotel Portland Airport
Ranked #39 of 141 Hotels in Portland
hawaii
“This is the one to stay at near the airport!!!!!”
Reviewed August 8, 2009

We stayed here twice-when we got in and the night before we left. The experience could'nt have been better. First night we had a room that overlooked the lake-beautiful!!Not what you expect near the airport.The rooms were nice and clean, and the beds were out of this world...did'nt want to get up!!Night before we left room did'nt overlook lake, but just as comfy.They were hosting a managers' reception that eveing,serving wines,beers,and assorted snacks in lobby.Next morning decided to go down for complimentary breakfast-this was not the usual hard muffin and coffee.Full on self serve meal-make you own waffles,assorted pastries and breads to taost,eggs,bacon,sausage gravy,assorted cereals,..you name it!! Staff is super friendly,helpful...could'nt have been nicer.Sharis' restaurant just across street..Also let us leave our bags with them early so we could sightsee,and froze my husbands' blue ice as he is diabetic traveling with medicine.(other places have not been so accomodating)Will stay here everytime we return.Can't say enough about this place!!!

• Stayed August 2009, traveled with friends

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (152)
phoenix, az
Reviewed August 2, 2009

This is perhaps the nicest Choice hotel I have encountered. Looks quite new and very modern. Rooms are large and upscale like a four star hotel. It is quiet and all rooms overlook a small lake. The breakfast and the breakfast room are impressive. A can't miss hotel.

• Stayed July 2009, traveled as a couple
Wappingers Falls, New York
Reviewed July 23, 2009

My wife and I spent the night of July 7 at the Clarion and it was a great stay, a true bargain. The staff was courteous and friendly and very welcoming. The young lady who checked us in was glad we had arrived on a Tuesday because there is a manager's reception every Tuesday complete with drinks and hot and cold buffet. In addition there is a lounge singer who does nothing but Sinatra songs. We took advantage of the offering and had a great time.

Our room was clean and the bed was great. We had a good night's sleep and went on the next morning after a good continental breakfast. We said we'd go back to this Clarion and we did the following Sunday on our way to the airport. We're not sorry we did! Thanks to all the fine staff. You're doing a great job!

• Stayed July 2009, traveled as a couple
Houston, Texas
Reviewed July 3, 2009

I stayed at this hotel to catch a 6am flight the next morning....I didn't have a car but I needed to meet a friend who was staying at another airport area hotel for dinner, and the hospitality manager actually took me to his hotel, and then came back to pick me up after dinner. She saved me the hassle of hiring a taxi and made my stay stress-free since I was under some time constraints. I should also mention that my room was very clean, the bed very comfortable, and it was quiet. They also had a computer right by the check-in desk where I could print my boarding pass. Very thoughtful!

• Stayed June 2009, traveled solo
Ashland Oregon
Reviewed June 24, 2009

Jake at the front desk checked me in Monday Night, June 22nd, 2009. The check in proceeded as usual and I was given my room key. As I was turning towards the elevator Jake's colleague mentions it is a "smoking room." I immediately apologized for the inconvenience and notified them I booked a non smoking room and I would like it changed. This was a bummer but not a huge deal as I understand mistakes happen. Jake proceeds to tell me they're all booked up and since I booked a "smoking room" I had to basically take it or leave it, since they were at max capacity. This was a surprise to me since my itinerary clearly states "NS,” which is short for “Non Smoking” in the travel world. I asked for a refund because there is no way I can accept a smoking room. Also, keep in mind I haven't stepped foot into the room and considering they're at max capacity I'm pretty certain they could have rebooked. Jake notified me he can't refund my charge because no person on duty has that authority. He advised me to call Amanda Hays the Hospitality Manager after 10:00 am the next day and she might be able to reverse the charge. Using the word “might” and implying it was my fault for booking a smoking room was infuriating. Next I asked if they could comp a cab fare a couple blocks to the next hotel. Jake replied, “No, but I could call one.” As I was walking out feeling frustrated and ripped off I noticed their airport shuttle sitting there. Again, attempting to be polite I asked if the shuttle could give me a lift, wondering why they didn’t offer that in the first place. I felt like I was pulling teeth. Jake begrudgingly asked the driver if he wouldn’t mind giving me a ride, as if I were being a pain in the butt. The driver said of course not and ended up being a real nice guy. This was my only positive experience with the hotel. I ended up booking at another hotel and paid an additional $60 due to the late booking and little room for negotiation. I called the general manager at 10:00 the next morning (Crystal) and she said she would get back to me by the end of that day. The following day at 11:00 a different person I haven’t spoken to calls and agrees to reverse the charge but falls short of apologizing because according to her my non smoking room wasn’t actually guaranteed. It was only considered a request. At that point on the phone I was a little lippy but who could blame me, the experience was frustrating, I lost time, and I lost money. In addition, they obviously did not want my future business because they did not offer a coupon, or any incentive to make up for the poor experience.

Therefore, heed this warning: don’t stay at the Portland Airport Clarion unless you want to chance having a smoky room (which is your fault) and journey through a shameful customer service experience! Thanks, John

• Stayed June 2009, traveled on business
4 Thank SoOrTraveler
clarion2, Hospitality Manager at Clarion Hotel Portland Airport, responded to this review, July 11, 2009
As the hospitality manager at the Clarion Hotel-Portland International Airport, I would like to give a response to the review made about the hotel and to apologize for the unpleasant experience this traveler had to endure. We do the best we can to accommodate any needs for our guests, but unfortunately we were unable to meet his that particular night.

On the night of the guest’s stay, the hotel was at maximum capacity and room types were very limited or unavailable. According to the guest’s itinerary, the reservation was made by a travel agency booking the guest for one night for one hotel room without any room type specifications. It did state “NS,” for non-smoking, after “Special Information” at the very end of the itinerary, but this type of request is not guaranteed. We do try our best to meet all special requests; however, due to maximum capacity that evening, we were unable to honor the individual’s request.

The General Manager was very busy due to a full house; therefore, she was unable to review the guest’s itinerary until the next day. After analysis and much consideration, she did reverse all charges. She and the staff were apologetic, but the guest was unreasonable.

The Clarion Hotel strives for great customer service and we do try our best to meet all guests’ needs. Thank you for your time.
Anchorage
Reviewed June 21, 2009

The room was very clean and comfortable with just enough room. There is a Shari's restaurant across the street and a small shopping center with a Subway sandwich shop and a Chinese Restaurant. A great place to stay the night before your flight.

• Stayed June 2009, traveled solo
1 Thank rudyalaskaAnchorage
VA
Reviewed June 17, 2009

great way to try the king tempurpedic bed, nice room good location. Staff did not respond well to the fact the the wifi was not operating and quite vague about local tourist attractions but otherwise they were friendly.

• Stayed June 2009, traveled as a couple