“Great place to stay near PDX; Beware of "Media Access" fee”

Clarion Hotel Portland Airport
Ranked #39 of 141 Hotels in Portland
Corvallis, Oregon
“Great place to stay near PDX; Beware of "Media Access" fee”
Reviewed September 4, 2013

This is my favorite place to stay near PDX. Nice big rooms; decent breakfast; free wifi; reasonable rates. Free shuttle to airport; pool. However, recently the hotel had started adding a "Media Access Assessment" of $1.50 per night. It doesn't matter whether you access any media, you must pay this. So I'm dropping my rating until they reconsider this shady practice.

So when you are comparing hotels, remember to add $1.50 to the room rate for the Clarion!

Room Tip: I think all of the rooms are quiet, even the ones near the ice machines.
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled on business
ClarionPDXManagement, General Manager at Clarion Hotel Portland Airport, responded to this review, October 29, 2013
TravelTooMuch55

Thank you for staying with us at the Clarion. We appreciate your comments.

Don Gibson

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (152)
McMinnville, Oregon
Reviewed September 4, 2013

Very comfortable, close and the cheapest deal we found close to the airport after getting bumped off of a flight. Shuttles every half hour - they provided travel amenities and toiletries we did not have because of checking bags - service was excellent - very nice employees.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled on business
john_v_peterson

Thank you for sharing your experience. We look forward to your next visit.

Streetsboro, Ohio
Reviewed September 4, 2013

My boyfriend and I confused an overnight flight we had to be the day before, so as we arrived at the airport, after returning the rental car, we were shocked to find the flight was the next night. We were visiting a friend in Eugene 2 hours away and now had no car and no place to stay and needed to get home for the second part of our trip. The airline gave us a list of hotels and recommended the Clarion first. They gave a great rate, picked us up and brought us back the next day. The staff was extremely understanding and helpful, especially when we were so distressed and exhausted. The beds were very comfy, the bathroom was very clean and modern, and the included breakfast the next morning was a full and delicious breakfast. We felt refreshed and made great time on catching our changed flight.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
ClarionPDXManagement, General Manager at Clarion Hotel Portland Airport, responded to this review, October 8, 2013
TravlerAlyssa
We work closely with a number of the airlines to help their passengers is tough situations. Thank you for staying with us. I hope your next stay in Portland brings you to us.

Reviewed September 3, 2013 via mobile

We stayed at the Clarion to close to the airport because we had a 6:30 am flight. The room was spacious and the beds were comfortable. They put breakfast out for the early travelers at 3 am. The shuttle to the airport was free and we tipped the driver. I would recommend this nice hotel to any travelers because of the convenience.

• Stayed August 2013
HarrietMcHenry
We appreciate the positive review you have posted about your experience here at the Clarion. We look forward to your next visit!

Nampa, Idaho
Reviewed September 3, 2013

Stayed here with members of my family. Loved our stay, hotel was extremely modern and clean. I have to rave of the beds, so extremely comfortable. The whole family thought so and tried to figure out what type of mattress they were? Memory Foam Mattress maybe? Whatever it was, it was a very comfortable and relaxing sleep. Airplanes can be a little loud, but heard once or twice was so comfortable didn't even bother me. Breakfast was very good and had a great selection. Only complaint was that the fitness equipment could use an update.l am a runner, and picked this hotel due to having a good fitness center from the pictures. I got up early to run to find the very old treadmill was broken. :( Kind of a bummer! Unfortunately, the hotel was so awesome, not a very big deal :) Thanks Clarion Inn, we will return if in the area :) My 2 year old loved looking out at the water which is a great view:) We loved the view :)

Room Tip: Liked being up on the 4th floor, you have a good view of the river behind :)
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
ClarionPDXManagement, General Manager at Clarion Hotel Portland Airport, responded to this review, September 17, 2013
cmb0607
Thank you for that lovely review. The mattress is a Tempur-Pedic Pressure Relieving Swedish Mattress. I apolgize about the treadmill. Someone walked off with the safety switch for it. We look forward to your return.

Washington, DC
Reviewed August 31, 2013

This was a free stay using Choice Privileges points, so I won't complain, but I will make some observations on my one night stay. First, Jeff at the front desk is one of the best I've seen in terms of keeping things running smoothly, singlehandedly. After he checked me in, a tour bus full pulled up and within 30 minutes the lobby was clear of people and luggage-and he was working the desk by himself! Other than that, I don't have any other pleasantries to offer.

The carpets are badly stained, the sink in the bathroom is entirely too small and the furnishings look cheap and probably are. I will say, however, that the bed was very comfy and the Internet was fast and free. Unfortunately, I had an early flight, so didn't stay for breakfast, but I hear its decent. However, due to the plethora of hotels in the vicinity, I'd probably choose the Courtyard or Staybridge Suites if I were returning to the area and wanted to be near the airport.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled solo
6 Thank romadaro
romadaro

I am glad to hear that you enjoyed your interaction with Jeff and our bed. Jeff is an asset here at the Clarion. I am sorry that you won't be staying with us on your next trip to the area.

Newark, Delaware
Reviewed August 30, 2013

We came down to Portland for the day and decided to stay close to the airport as it was most convienent for us. Staff was helpful and pleasant. Our room was very large and beds were comforable and we did get a good night sleep. We did have a view of the pond behind the hotel, but it really needs some work around it to be a great view. We did our laundry while there and that was convienent, but $2 for a dry was too much. They tack on a few minor fees for "media acess assessment" ($1.50) and tourism levy ($2.25). The only issue I saw was that they hallway capets were a stained and needed to be cleaned or replaced. Breakfast was very good and a nice way to fill up for our exploring around Portand. I think this was a good choice for the money.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with friends
ClarionPDXManagement, General Manager at Clarion Hotel Portland Airport, responded to this review, October 2, 2013
Werbrichfamily

Thank you for taking the time to share your experiences with us. The media access assessment was recently added to lessen the cost of watching individual movies. Guests now have access to dozens of movies for a minimal charge. The tourism levy is a fairly new tax imposed by the city of Portland. Glad to hear that you enjoyed the breakfast. Thank you for staying with us. We look forward to your next visit with us.