“a good experience”

Clarion Hotel Portland Airport
Ranked #47 of 144 Hotels in Portland
Reviewed November 15, 2011

This Clarion is on a pretty busy road by the airport, but set back a bit behind another hotel. It was nice for the noise buffer. Beds were pretty comfortable, a small desk area, an older tv. All of the rooms face the 'lake', and the hallway has windows out to the main street. The hallways were bright from the windows. The place was clean and recently updated. The complimentary breakfast buffet was ok - but a few other places to eat just a few steps away. We drove toward the airport and were surprised to find a mall with major chain stores and eating establishments. A few blocks in the other direction had many fast food and coffee places. Right across the street were other hotels that cost more, but they had more planes right overhead. The staff were professional and nice enough. I left feeling I had good value for the money spent.

• Stayed: November 2011, traveled with family
ClarionPDXManagement, General Manager at Clarion Hotel Portland Airport, responded to this reviewResponded November 23, 2011

Dear guest,

Thank you for sharing your experience and some beautiful pictures! I am glad to see that you were satisfied with your stay and everything went well. We do hope to see you again next time you are in the Portland area.

Thank you for being our guest, it was our pleasure!

There are newer reviews for Clarion Hotel Portland Airport

Reviewed November 14, 2011

We stayed at the Clarion on 9/30/11-10/1/11, after 8 days tour Oregon.
We agreed to any best review about this hotel.
Look how the General Manager found time to treat every review.
This means everything.
The staff was very kind, helpful and smart

Zipi & Itamar Mor ISRAEL.

• Stayed: September 2011, traveled as a couple
1  Thank amusebouche_9
ClarionPDXManagement, General Manager at Clarion Hotel Portland Airport, responded to this reviewResponded November 15, 2011

Dear guest,

Thank you for taking the time to leave us a review, that means a lot!
I am so pleased to see that everything was great and you are satisfied, looks like you agree with all the other good reviews :)
Thank you for noticing that we actually read and pay attention to every comment and review left, that is one of our ways to make sure that every guest is happy.

Hope to see you again!

Reviewed November 10, 2011

stayed here for two nights recently. The rooms were spacious and clean. The breakfast buffet was adequate. Things are kind of limited in the area. There are a couple of fast food and two diners in the area. Stay away from Shari's the servers act as if you should be grateful if they can be bothered to serve you.

• Stayed: October 2011, traveled with family
1  Thank knucklehead84663
ClarionPDXManagement, General Manager at Clarion Hotel Portland Airport, responded to this reviewResponded November 11, 2011

Dear guest,

Thank you very much for leaving us a review!
I am glad to see you enjoyed your stay and found our rooms to be clean and spacious. Our hot breakfast buffet is quite extensive for a complimentary breakfast and we are happy to provide that many options to our guest.
So sorry you didn't enjoy Shari's restaurant, next time you are in the area visit Cascade Station, just down the street from us, there are number of different restaurants available.
Once again thank you for staying with us, and we hope to see you again!

Reviewed November 7, 2011

I was recently a guest at the Clarion Hotel Portland Airport. I enjoyed a very pleasant, no-hassle stay. My comments have to do with relatively minor items, but describe something very rare in the current hospitality environment: An emphasis on exceptional customer service.

Things that made me feel as though this Clarion property is customer service oriented:

1. There are multiple electrical outlets and they are not hidden behind the furniture. They appear to be designed specifically to make it easier to reach and use them. Somebody is paying attention.
2. There are two kinds of yogurts in the breakfast area, one a little lower calorie. How nice!
3. There is a newspaper delivered to my door, daily. There is a different newspaper on the coffee table in the lobby, so that, at breakfast, I can read two newspapers. Lovely!
4. When I indicated that two items in my room needed the attention of the Maintenance Dept., the front desk called to confirm and let me know when the repairs would take place. The items were taken care of very quickly.
5. The window opens! I know this is a cost issue, because open windows probably screw up the air/heat, but it sure is nice to be able to crack it open for a few minutes, once in a while.
6. How nice to find both a microwave and a refrigerator in the room.
7. There are nice, sturdy blackout curtains, in addition to the lighter privacy curtains.
8. There was a note on my bed reminding me about Daylight Savings time.
9. Fluffy, comfy bedding which includes two kinds of pillows.
10. Pleasant lake view from my window.
11. Convenient shuttle to airport, convenient, low cost public transit from airport to city.
12. The front desk personnel and the shuttle drivers have all been very nice and accommodating, not just polite, but actually cheerful and interesting to talk to.

• Stayed: November 2011, traveled on business
2  Thank Linda P
ClarionPDXManagement, General Manager at Clarion Hotel Portland Airport, responded to this reviewResponded November 9, 2011

Dear Linda P,

Thank you so much for your kind words and taking the time to leave us such a detailed review. Your words are greatly appreciated by us and potential travelers. We enjoyed having you as our guest and look forward to that opportunity again.
I would like to make a quick comment on newspapers delivered daily to the door, this complimentary service is provided for our Choice Privilleges Members only, but it is free to sign up. The Oregonian is available in the lobby on the first come, first serve basis.
Once again, thank you so much for taking the time to let us know that you enjoyed your stay,

Reviewed October 29, 2011

Very nice and affordable accomodation. Check-in staff were exceptional at 11.30 at night. After a great sleep i enjoyed the breakfast. Requested if i could leave my luggage with them whilst i went into Portland till my plane left at 5.00pm and the staff were more than helpful. Will stay again.

• Stayed: November 2010, traveled solo
1  Thank RogueAmbassador
ClarionPDXManagement, General Manager at Clarion Hotel Portland Airport, responded to this reviewResponded November 1, 2011

Dear RogueAmbassador,

Thank you for being our guest! I am very glad to see that you found the staff to be very helpful and accomodating. We strive to meet every possible guest request.
We look forward to your return stay!

Reviewed October 23, 2011

I stayed 2 nights and found the hotel above average. Staff was helpful, breakfast above average, room was large, quiet, and had a nice view (I was on the opposite side of the parking lot). There are 2 good restaurants nearby and a lounge. Shuttle service to PDX was excellent. The only thing I didn't like were the mirrors - the one facing my king size bed was large and ugly. (I thought that bed mirrors went out in the 1980's - I have no idea why tourists would want to watch themselves in their bed.)

• Stayed: October 2011, traveled solo
2  Thank jwprice
ClarionPDXManagement, General Manager at Clarion Hotel Portland Airport, responded to this reviewResponded October 24, 2011

Dear jwprice,

Thank you for taking the time to leave us a review, we appreciate you sharing your experience with other travelers!
Always good to read that there were no complaints, thank you for that!
Glad to see that all went well and we hope to see you again. I wanted to take a moment to explain the mirror situation: you happen to be staying in one of our "odball" rooms (by any means that does not make it any worse of a room), it just happens to be located where our building curves and it is slightly larger than other rooms. Due to the odd shape of the room (like a V), the furniture is arranged a bit differently that you would find in other rooms. The mirror that hangs on the wall, is typically located in the small hallway between the entrance and the bedroom area. Due to the set up of the room, the bed is located in a different place and happens to be near the mirror. I'm sorry that wasn't what you were expecting, but sounds like it didn't make your stay any less enjoyable. I just wanted to share this small tip with you, so next time you come stay with us, let us know you don't want to have the "odball" room where the building curves.
Thank you so much for being our guest and we hope to see you again!

Reviewed October 18, 2011

The Clarion has many characteristics that make it a good selection for travellers:
- Lots of parking;
- Efficient elevators;
- Large, clean rooms;
- A lovely river view with geese floating by;
- Effective heating/cooling unit;
- The self-serve breakfast included many quality food items (bacon, Yoplait yogurt, Stash Tea are some examples) and the chairs and tables were good enough to be in a restaurant;
- Easy access to the Portland Airport with the hotel's shuttle.

The only downsides to an otherwise perfect stay were: the extra charge for the newer mattress system; no plastic bag for the ice bucket and no clean glasses on the second day (we had to ask for both).

• Stayed: October 2011, traveled as a couple

Dear HappyTravelling2011,

Thank you for letting us know about your experience here at the Clarion!
I am glad to hear that you were happy with the services we provided. I would like to apologize for the lack of plastic ice bag and clean glasses on the 2nd day of your stay. That is our hickup as we do provide ice bags in the room (they would be hiding inside the ice bucket) and housekeeping traditionally picks up all used cups and glasses and brings new ones for our stay over guests. I am so sorry for the oversight!
As far as the extra charge for the rooms with Tempurpedic mattresses, we do offer two choices of rooms: our Standard room that still has all the same amenities, and our Deluxe Rooms that do have the TempurPedic mattress and are located on a higher floor. We do have a slightly different room rate for the Deluxe room due to the mattress and better view. Typically the difference in price between the two rooms types is no more than $8-$9.
Thank you for staying with us and we hope to see you again in the future!

General manager