“Near the airport.” 3 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #106 of 138 Hotels in Portland
Saint Louis, Missouri
“Near the airport.”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 5, 2011

We chose this hotel because it was near the airport since we had a 6 am flight out. It is a old hotel with many buildings any alot of steps. I would only recommend this hotel for the same reason we used it for: an early flight and very inexpensive.

• Stayed October 2011, traveled with family
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
Happy H, Manager at Howard Johnson Portland Airport, responded to this review, October 21, 2011
Thank you for your review, we have updated our rooms and I hope you have the opportunity to enjoy our breakfast. If you are ever in need we also offer Park and Fly packages specials on our website.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (68)
Seattle, Washington
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 26, 2011

The hotel is amazing to stay at, very accessible, great prices and park and fly packages, within walking distance a terrific Indian Cuisine Restaraunt and Lounge, with excellent food and prices! The staff is very friendly, the bartender is very personable and the atmosphere is welcoming,

• Stayed September 2011, traveled with family
Falmouth, Massachusetts
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 23, 2011

Room was clean and updated; WiFi was a little marginal; but otherwise, the room was an outstanding deal at $49 per nite. Good Indian restaurant on premises, free van to/from airport. I am not sure what's up with the other reviews but this place was really worth the money. I stay at a lot of hotels/motels and this was definitely better than most of the low price road hotels. It wasn't a Westin or Marriott but the price was probably 1/3 of what you would pay there.

• Stayed September 2011, traveled on business
Los Angeles, California
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 30, 2011

Spent one night here last weekend with spouse. Rate was attractive and hotel has airport shuttle (we didn't have a car yet). Check in was fast. Room received was clean and comfortable. Pool area could use a little attention, but otherwise was pleasant. Breakfast was smaller than I expected (cold items only, no waffles or yogurt) but otherwise ok.
We ate at the Indian restaurant "Nameste" in the parking lot. Good food at a good value. Computer in the lobby for guest use. Walking distance to The Grotto. I would stay here again.

• Stayed August 2011
Yakima, Washington
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 29, 2011

My family of 3 and my in-laws needed a place to stay near the airport for a flight on the following morning. As we drove down Airport Way, we passed by all these other hotels that I looked at when booking (they were just a few bucks more) and they all seemed inviting and in nice neighborhoods. However, as we approached the neighborhood where this one is located, we noticed that as evening approached, the "ladies of the night" frequented the area! First red flag. Upon arriving, I checked us in, and the staff was very friendly and accomodating. The hotel is broken up into several dilapidated buildings with a pool in the middle. The entrance to each building has a set of very old metal stairs leading up to a card-slot glass door. 2nd red flag. After entering a common-area, which looks more like a clean crack-house that you see on TV, that same metal stair theme is repeated inside (several floors & no elevators) and each halway of rooms is behind a faded grey metal door. 3rd red flag. My father-in-law, who is a stocky 6' 2" man, goes to open the door that leads to our rooms & he has to try several times to get it open! Finally, the stuck door budges and we're met with an awful musty odor and dimly lit door. If I were by myself, (a 5'6" female)I surely would have turned around at this point! Yikes! We found our rooms, one of which lacked the numbers, and went inside. At least the interiors were clean and besides the musty odor, at least appeared to be more taken care of than the rest of the property! The "verandas" were a joke! We had bottom floor rooms, and the floorboards on the decks were quite loose, enough to where I wouldn't allow my 4 year old to go outside! So, although the rest of our stay was uneventful, I should have spent a few extra dollars and went with the Red Lion or the Clarion Hotel down the road!

Room Tip: Please do not stay here if you have small children!
  • Stayed August 2011, traveled with family
2 Thank Travelswithkid_1
Holland, Michigan
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 22, 2011

I stayed here to catch because I had an early morning flight out of PDX. The room was adequate for my needs--nothing fancy and just a place to sleep. I got a great rate of $51 on Orbitz so I was thrilled with price and the fact that the shuttle could bring me to PDX at 4 a.m. Everything went smoothly with my stay and the staff was very helpful. I would definitely stay here again if I had another early morning flight.

• Stayed August 2011, traveled solo
2 Thank seekingsun4
Shoreline, Washington
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 16, 2011

The customer service at this location is awful. There were 11 of us on a family trip and they could not put us all near each other. We were in 2 different buildings. One of my family is in a wheelchair and the accessible room they gave her had steps down to the building. This is not accessible by wheelchair and we had to help her walk to her room. This was unacceptable! The building that the other 2 rooms were in smelled heavily of urine. The rooms were also very musty. We wanted to find another place to stay but they told us we would not be refunded. Since we just needed a place to sleep for the night, we went to the store to buy air freshener to help mask the smell. My asthma started to act up from the lack of fresh air and I found my self constantly using my inhaler. I realized in the middle of the night that I was itchy and found 5 bug bites on my side. Come to find out that my son and daughter also had bites. My mom who was in a room a couple doors down from us also had bites on her and my aunt who was in a completely different building had bites on her arm. I found this very disgusting. I do not have high expectations of motels but this one just made our whole trip a disaster. We will not ever return to this location and do not recommend anyone stay there.

And just a tip, if you plan on having breakfast, make sure you get there early. They put a certain amount of items out and once they are gone, that is it. They do not replenish even if it is before 9am and there is still time for people to get breakfast.

Room Tip: Stay elsewhere regardless of the price
  • Stayed August 2011, traveled with family