“An excellent place to stay”

Silver Cloud Inn NW Portland
Ranked #14 of 146 Hotels in Portland
Reviewed June 14, 2007

The Silver Cloud Inn in Portland was one of the best hotels we stayed at during our trip in WA/OR.
The staff was very helpful and friendly. The room was very comfortable even including a plasma TV !!
The breakfast was absolutely delicious, you don´t need anything else (waffles, fresh fruit, bagels, muffins, eggs, jam, honey, cheese, yogurt, juices, tea, coffee, cereals, ...).
There is a busstop in front of the hotel, from where you can easily catch a ride into downtown (appr. 15 min.).
There is also free internet access in the lobby.
The surrounding is OK, you don´t have to fear at night.
When we come back, we´ll take it again!!!

• Stayed: May 2007, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Icebear

Reviewed January 26, 2007

I stayed at the Silver Cloud for two weekend nights in August with my two children, aged 3 ½ and 7. We initially loved it. The room was comfortable and clean, and the staff seemed friendly.

However, a problem developed the first night (Saturday) of our stay. I was in the process of putting my children to bed, when I got a call from one of the Front Desk staff. He said he had had two complaints about noise coming from our room, and asked if I could I try to be more careful about noise “late at night”.

I was puzzled on two counts. One, it didn’t seem to me we were being particularly noisy. The kids were not screaming or shouting, and we didn’t have the TV or any other electronic device on. We were talking loudly, perhaps, but it was at the level I would consider “normal family noise”.

Two, it didn’t seem that late to me. To double-check, I asked the desk clerk what time it was, and he replied, “Almost 8:00.” He went on to say that I should be aware that conventioners stayed at the Silver Cloud, and that these people sometimes got up as early as 4:00 or 5:00 in the morning.

It seemed odd that convention meetings would be happening early on a Sunday morning, but I promised we would try to be more quiet. I read my kids their bedtime stories in a whisper, and for the remainder of our stay, shushed them constantly to avoid any more “Hush up” phone calls. It deflated their spirits and mine to have to be so unnaturally quiet during what was a vacation trip for us, but I thought it was maybe a one-off experience at an otherwise nice hotel.

Later, I sent the inn's feedback form, along with a personal letter, to management, detailing the above, and asking for their policy about noise at night and whether they welcomed families as guests. I got no response, so am raising the issue here.

• Stayed: August 2006, traveled with family
4  Thank SusanW17
GlManager, GM at Silver Cloud Inn NW Portland, responded to this reviewResponded April 25, 2007

Thank you for your feedback of your stay. I am sorry that I did not receive your letter when you were here, so I was very surprised to read this several months later. I do agree that 8:00 may be a little early, yet It is our standard procedure to follow up with a call after a guest complains of noise. I am sorry you didn't feel our hotel was family friendly, as we strive to treat every guest the same.

Reviewed January 8, 2007

I have stayed at the this hotel over 50 nights in the last year while on business. There are two negatives that I would like to mention. Breakfast is really pretty pitiful. Very lowgrade muffins, bagels, etc. hardboiled eggs, cubed welfare program cheese, and generic cereal. The only hot food is the old waffle and toast. I would think the quality and selection could be improved without a great deal of additional effort or expense.

Secondly, the loyalty/reward program is even more stingy. Feel free to explore via their web-site for details. The Holiday Inn Express across the street is probably a better deal for the frequent business traveler.

Other than these two drawbacks, the rooms aren't bad. The rooms have been renovated over this past summer. Plasma TV's were installed, new mattresses purchased, and new paint and carpeting. The proxmity to local restaurants, shops and the free parking available is a nice bonus.

• Stayed: January 2007, traveled on business
2  Thank OpieMidwest

I am sorry after staying 50 nights with us you didn't feel our breakfast fulfilled your needs. We are very proud of our deluxe continental breakfast and its variety and quality. The cheese is a very common and popular item as well as our variety of pastries.
Athough we are a smaller hotel chain, we feel our loyalty program is very comparable to others. Our benefits include complimentary room nights, Alaska Airlines vouchers, and cash rewards.
I am sorry we didn't get a chance to speak when you were here, but please feel free to contact me directly in the future.

Reviewed November 16, 2006

My wife and I stayed here for one night in mid-November. I was a little unsure of the hotel because I had not heard of the Silver Cloud Inn chain before, but I would highly recommend this hotel. It's a very short drive (10 min) to downtown and even shorter to what appeared to be the heart of the restaurant scene. We booked our hotel for about $95-100/night, and felt we got a huge bargain considering most comparable downtown hotels were twice that price. Our room was large, clean, and had the nicest TV I have ever seen in any hotel room, anywhere (flat screen, probably 25" or so). Also, the lobby and staff were excellent. Breakfast was just OK - about a "B" or "B-" - but there was also a flat-screen in the breakfast area.

An all-around excellent stay.

• Stayed: November 2006, traveled as a couple
4  Thank templeheels
Reviewed September 22, 2006

On a vacation in northern Oregon in September 2006, the Silver Cloud Inn was one of the highlights of our visit to Portland. The rooms were spacious and the flatscreen tv was a big hit. Breakfasts were on real plates in a pleasant breakfast room. The hotel is walking distance from great restaurants, a bakery, Post Office, and a natural foods grocery store. But it was far enough away from the hustle and bustle to be a serene getaway. Free parking was a bonus, as was the computer in the lobby available for free use (our son was most grateful.)

• Stayed: September 2006, traveled with family
7  Thank KDsMom
Reviewed September 20, 2006

This hotel was located perfectly for our visit. After being gone all day, we could walk to dinner and get some exercise. We felt very safe in this neighborhood. The hotel was clean and comfortable and we would stay again.

• Stayed: March 2005, traveled on business
6  Thank moviegourmet
Reviewed September 4, 2006

When we checked into our room, we noticed a very distinct cigar smell. This is a nonsmoking establishmnent. We told the front desk on the second day and after two nights, we were moved to another room which had no odor. The manager said we would be compensated for the inconvenience. When we checked out, the front desk knew nothing about any compensation and said the manager was not available. We did not have time to wait and left paying the full price for four nights.
I must say that the location was convenient and the rooms were clean. I am disappointed in the management for not following through with their promise. We would probably not stay here again for that reason.

• Stayed: August 2006, traveled with family
3  Thank fromcolorado
GlManager, Manager at Silver Cloud Inn NW Portland, responded to this reviewResponded September 11, 2006

As we found out the next day, some gentlemen were smoking cigars outside of their window the night before. The ladies did report the smell of smoke, and unfortunately we were a little slow in getting them moved. I did speak to them about the situation and mentioned some compensation. They didn't really have anything in mind, so I had mentioned a free movie. I had planned on talking to them at check-out about what they felt was fair. When checking out, the ladies had questioned the price to the desk agent and she asked if they wanted to talk to a manager. They seemed frustrated and said to just forget it. I was actually on property and would have loved to talk to them.