“Favorite Stop in Portland”

McMenamins Kennedy School
Ranked #33 of 142 Hotels in Portland
Tacoma, Washington
“Favorite Stop in Portland”
Reviewed September 17, 2013

I have been going to the Kennedy School house since I was little. I have always loved the old charm and funky atmosphere. I finally got to bring my husband, and he loved it too! There is always something fun going on everytime we go.

The food has always been good and the beer is good too. This last trip we enjoyed eating the in courtyard next to the fireplace!

If you are traveling through Portland this is a must stop!

• Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
Gloria M, Manager at McMenamins Kennedy School, responded to this review, September 19, 2013
Thank you for bring your husband to visit and for being a loyal guest. We appreciate your review and look foward to seeing you again soon.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (134)
Vancouver, Canada
Reviewed September 16, 2013

This place is an old, primary school that still looks and feels like an old primary school. But now it includes a full-menu casual dining restaurant, a pub, a cozy bar, a hot saltwater soaking pool and a movie theatre. If you're looking for the posh comfort of a Four Seasons, well, go to the Four Seasons, because you won't find it here. The school's accommodations are much more basic, but clean, comfortable, uniquely decorated (reflecting its history) and a lot of fun. We stayed in the main school building and both the bedroom and washroom were a very decent size. The location is not in the midst of the tourist area, but close enough to bike downtown for the day. My wife and I were a lot older than most of the other guests, and the music can be loud, but we still thought Kennedy School was a great place to spend a couple of nights.

1 Thank VonWoogle
Gloria M, Manager at McMenamins Kennedy School, responded to this review, September 17, 2013
Thank you for comments. We are not your typical hotel which makes it fun and entertaining! We look forward to seeing you again on your next visit to Portland.
Richmond, Virginia
Reviewed September 14, 2013

We really enjoyed our stay at the Kennedy School. I wish we had more time there to try the restaurant and movie theatre. Overall we thought the uniqueness of this hotel made it fantastic. The only draw back for me was the location. Although it wasn't a bad location it definitely required driving to any sights or exploring the city. We stayed in the recess room which was great but was really loud while the pool was still open to children. This was a non-issue for us since we were only there an hour during open hours to children in the soaking pool. After that it was adults only and was nice and quiet. This would be an issue for anyone trying to take relax prior to 8 o'clock. The bars on-site were interesting and unique but we were not able to try everything in the facility during our one night stay. This is a really interesting and great place for any one who likes unique stays.

Room Tip: Recess room is right by pool which can be very loud during open hours. This was not an issues durin...
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
Thank you for taking the time to review us. Make sure when you come back to see us you stay for a few days. There is so much to do and see on property. See you soon.
Allonsee
Reviewed September 13, 2013

We had a great stay at the Kennedy School. Yes, it does smell like a school. Yes, the rooms are minute. Yes, it's busy and happening at any time of the night and day. We stayed one night in the English Wing in a corner upstairs suite, and although there was no room to swing a cat, it was comfortable. The wifi didn't work where we were, and there is no tv, but there is so much on site that there was no lack of entertainment. Coffee delivered to your door promptly in the morning, at the same cost as going out to Starbucks. Decent breakfast in the Courtyard. I could have stayed longer.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
Gloria M, Manager at McMenamins Kennedy School, responded to this review, September 14, 2013
We are so glad you enjoyed your stay and look forward to seeing you again next time you are in town!
Burlingame, California
Reviewed September 5, 2013

felt like we were in the portables at school. Small room, non of those chalk boards or big tall windows we'd come to love at the original Kennedy School experience. Headboard was nice and bed overflowing with pillows.
Good place for lunch not so hot for dinner unless you want pizza or a calzone.
Really disappointed.

Room Tip: Stay away from booking the English wing if at all possible.
Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank karenmcelhany2013
Thank you for your feedback. The rooms in the English wing are different from the rooms in the original school house. They do have their own charm and have wonderful art work. I am sorry to hear that you had a disappointing stay. I will private message you to receive more feedback on how we may improve your stay in the future.
Bellingham, Washington
Reviewed September 3, 2013

We took a quick trip down to Oregon for a summer visit to the coast. It was fun but we found out July is not the best time to visit the coast here. Lots of fog due to the inland heat. On the way back to Bellingham, we stopped in Portland for a nights stay at McMenamins Kennedy School. It was supposed to be one the highlights of our journey. Unfortunately, we arrived around 5:30PM after getting stuck in traffic. So we arrived too late to got to the 5PM movie and kids aren't allowed in the movie after 7pm. So we thought we would go to the in-house restaurant and take a dip in the soaking pool. But, after an hour wait on our food we got out of the restaurant close to 8pm and kids are not allowed in the soaking pool after 8pm. We learned that timing is everything here, if you have kids. It would have been nice if there was a game room where kids could play too (like the skittles and pool in one of the bars). At least it would give the kids (say ages 11-16 yrs) something to do while their parents enjoyed some of the other parts of the establishment. As it was, we ended up walking around the neighborhood, which was interesting. They had a bonfire going out front which added a homy feel. Loved the Natural food store up the block. Since the Courtyard restaurant was not necessarily gluten friendly I had to go up the block to get a decent meal. The Courtyard was okay but severely understaffed, staff was not very friendly or gluten informed. There is an attempt to serve vegans but I wouldn't recommend this place to someone who has to be really careful about gluten. The waitress said they had a dedicated fryer but the fries tasted rancid. I told her I couldn't eat wheat but I was okay with barley. But she never asked what I wanted to drink, so I just didn't order any. After a long wait to get our order taken (30min) it took about another half hour to get our food. What I got was not good so she comped my meal. I was really close to just leaving the restaurant. Have to say it was one of my worst experiences at a restaurant recently. It put a bad spin on the whole visit sorry to say. But I will have to say that the room was clean, great for people who have allergies (like my 11 yr old son), we went soaking in the pool the next morning which was nice, and when my son left his shoes at the hotel, they were very kind about mailing them to us later on. If I had to do it again, I would get there early to see the movie and use the soaking pool, and not eat at the Courtyard. Instead I would go visit the food trucks down in the Pearl district for dinner, which is what we did the following day.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
2 Thank Story
Gloria M, Manager at McMenamins Kennedy School, responded to this review, September 5, 2013
Thank you for your feedback. I apologize for your experience in the Courtyard Restaurant. We appreciate the constructive feedback and will be using this for further our training of our staff on the menu items as well as gluten free options. We are sorry the experience in the restaurant put a bad spin on your trip. I will be private messaging you for some more information so we can be sure to correct these issues.
vancouver, canada
Reviewed September 1, 2013

We spent two nights at the Kennedy School and thoroughly loved the uniqueness of the accomodation. Our son loved the black slate chalkboards in Miss Dobie's room. We had a queen bed and a roll away cot which was very comfortable. We stayed in a room in the main school as we wanted a room with character. The hotel also has a new addition with brand new rooms for those who want a more modern environment.
My son LOVED the afternoon movies that they show in the auditorium. If you stay at the hotel, you get admission to the show. The nice thing about the experience is that you can cozy down on a loveseat in this big auditorium and you can even order food which the servers bring to you during the movie. From popcorn to pints of beer, they aim to please.
If someone in your group is into smoking cigars, they have the "detention room" which is a little room that allows people to either purchase or bring their own cigars and cigarettes in to smoke. It is also a bar.
The hotel is a truly unique place and the experience is one of a kind. Beware if you are a tv addict as the rooms in the school part do not have tvs! Our only issue with the hotel was that some of the rooms do not have enough dresser drawer space to store your clothes during your stay. Hopefully they will eventually equip each room with this ammenity.
We would definitely stay here again! What a great way to repurpose a school.

Room Tip: If you want modern...go for the new section...if you want to relive your school days again...go for...
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
Thank you for taking the time to post your wonderful experience. Come back and see us soon.