“Fun, but Noisy”

McMenamins Kennedy School
Ranked #34 of 144 Hotels in Portland
Reviewed January 29, 2013

I love that this "hotel" is an old elementary school. It's fun walking around the building and visiting the bars and restaurant in it, and they've done a great job making it look nice. Our room was neat--an old classroom with high ceilings and walls covered in chalkboard. The bed was comfy and the bathroom was clean, and the soaking pool outside was pretty and relaxing. I feel like the price was a little steep--guess you pay extra for the novelty factor.

My main issue with our stay here was the noise level. Perhaps it's the big, echo-y hallways and rooms, but we could hear practically everything in the hall outside our room and in our neighbors room. Our next-door neighbors appeared to be a group of boys who were part of a wedding party that rented out part of the hotel, and they were up until about 4am, which meant that we, too, were up until about 4am, listening to them be drunk, rowdy, and throw up. Not cute. We notified the hotel staff who said they would ask the neighbors to quiet down, but we didn't notice a difference.

So, yeah, novel place to stay, and perhaps some of the rooms are in quieter locations than ours was, but I definitely wished I'd gotten a good night's sleep!

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled as a couple
There are newer reviews for McMenamins Kennedy School

Reviewed January 23, 2013

We hosted our company winter party in the Gymnasium and I was really pleased. The catering staff were easy to work with and accomodated some unusual requests on our part. Our lead server made sure to connect with me often during our event and addressed all of my needs from heating and lighting to pre-purchased gift cards. My husband and I stayed the night along with my boss and her spouse. The rooms were comfortable, though they didn't provide robes for the soaking pool as they do at their other properties and the building is noisy at night, even in the new wing.

Room Tip: The Ramona room was really cute and a fun reminder of the books I read as a kid.
  • Stayed: January 2013, traveled on business
Reviewed January 17, 2013

This place is absolutely amazing and unique! They took over an old elementery school that had closed down, remolded it using repurposed materials taken from the building and kept the original look and feel of the building; The mosiac tile work is amazing! There is a bar, brewery, restaurant, hotel, theatre (you can get real food and beer while watching a movie), soaking pools, and a whiskey & cigar bar called detention! A must place to visit when in Portland.

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank robbiefitz
Reviewed January 15, 2013

I love the McMenamins soaking pools. This one is outside and not as quite as Forest Grove, but has a better changing room and was really lovely. The rooms are large and there is good food close by so you don't have to eat in the restaurant.

Room Tip: don't eat here, go to one one of the many good places nearby. The BBQ next to New Seasons (1 bl...
  • Stayed: January 2013, traveled on business
Reviewed November 24, 2012

Generally, I'm a fan of McMenamin hotels and the Kennedy School is my favourite. I stayed here for one night on Halloween so we watched a free Halloween movie. The old pictures and artwork in the hallways are fun. Our room was very large with high ceilings and large windows. The only drawback was that you have to use a space heater to warm the room. The hotel is in a good location - far from downtown Portland but close to the Alberta Arts District.

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank TorontoLeesar
Reviewed November 16, 2012

I traveled to Portland for business and was tired of staying in the chain hotels. The visit at McMenamin's was a fun experience. The concept of converting an elementary school to a hotel is neat and very different. There are plenty of good restaurants and bars on campus. The home brews they serve are excellent. I wanted to hang out and sample a few more beers, I caught two movies in the theater. They are fitted with couches and serve beer and food. The rooms were very clean as well as the bathroom (mine was part of the "Myrtle" room).

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled on business
Reviewed November 15, 2012

I had a fantastic time visiting the McMenamins Kennedy School. You can grab drinks with friends, bring children to the movies, and go to a craft fair all under one roof! The bars are unique and I enjoyed just walking around, and embracing the School atmosphere. I couldn't have been happier when my friend who lives in the area brought me here during a long weekend. Would absolutely recommend a couple, family, or solo traveler to head here for a few hours.

Room Tip: Even if you aren't staying here, its worth walking around and visiting the school.
  • Stayed: November 2012, traveled with friends