“Cool hotel in downtown Portland with excellent staff”
Review of Hotel deLuxe

Ranked #4 of 141 Hotels in Portland
Los Angeles, California
“Cool hotel in downtown Portland with excellent staff”
Reviewed July 19, 2010

This is a nice hotel near the edge of downtown Portland on the other side of the 405 freeway. It was not a problem walking to the center of downtown which is only a few minutes away. We window shopped in the Pearl district, ate at the food carts, walked to the waterfront park and even hit a couple of micro brews.

The hotel has a nice lobby with photos of old hollywood. The rooms and bathrooms were on the smaller side since it's a retrofitted older hotel, but everything was fine for my wife and I. The staff was excellent and very helpful. The guys at the front door who helped with luggage, valet parking, directions, recommendations and holding the doors were extremely professional and friendly. You couldn't ask for any better representatives for the hotel. I would definitely stay there again next time I'm in town.

• Stayed July 2010, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (291)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
Shippensburg, PA
Reviewed July 18, 2010

The hotel has a unique atmosphere that is refreshing. The staff is friendly and helpful. We had an appetizer and desert in the restaurant, both of which we good. Valet service was prompt. While I enjoyed the dated feel of the bathroom, it was on the small size, and needs to be updated somewhat. The walls are definitely thin, and you don't have to guess about what the residents in the adjoining rooms are doing. The hotel is not really close to the downtown or any attractions, so you need to be prepared to drive to where you want to go. I think the hotel was a little on the pricey side for overall value.

• Stayed July 2010, traveled as a couple
KlaudioPortland, General Manager at Hotel deLuxe, responded to this review, July 18, 2010
Dear Guest,

Thank you very much for your review. I would welcome an opportunity to personally assist you with your next reservation and select a room with a larger bathroom. We have many options in terms of room size and location and I am confident we will be able to identify several options for you. Thank you again for your valuable feedback and I look forward to welcoming you back to the deLuxe.

Klaudio Simic
Tucson, Arizona
Reviewed July 17, 2010

My husband and I just returned from our trip to Portland. The Hotel Deluxe was recommended by a friend, so we booked two nights there. I loved the charm and character of this lovely hotel, built in the early 1900s. The lobby and restaurant have gorgeous architecture and ambiance. The staff is quite helpful, and we enjoyed chatting with the friendly doormen. I had heard the rooms here a bit small, so my husband upgraded us to room 803. I HIGHLY recommend this room if you want great space and an outstanding city view! It is on the top floor (8th) on the northeast corner of the building. I knew there would be some street noise (what do you expect in a downtown hotel?). Also our bathroom was on the small side, but I did not mind, as it was very clean, and I expected this in an older hotel. My only issues with this room were a few spots on the carpet and the upholstered chairs could use a cleaning...however, these are minor issues that can easily be addressed. I am a stickler for cleanliness, and everything else was immaculate. The bed and linens were excellent! While the hotel is not very close to the river, it is right on the max line, which makes it convenient. If you want to step back in time to Hollywood's heyday, try the Hotel Deluxe! I would definitely stay here again.

London
Reviewed July 11, 2010

Loved this hotel with its Golden Age of Hollywood theme and luxurious furnishings. You feel like a movie star at breakfast! It's just outside the free-fare zone and 5-10 minutes' walk to downtown. Bathrooms are fairly small but overall, our suite was lovely. I'd recommend this one.

Portland, Oregon
Reviewed July 10, 2010

This is my sixth or seventh time at Hotel deLuxe. I have never submitted a review until now. We love this hotel. I have stayed a much finer hotels but, there is something about this little gem that warms the heart. It is a much older building and there are things about it that might not be all that great but, the service is excellent. The staff bends over backwards to meet all your needs. The beds, linens and pillows are heavenly! The bathrooms are very small and for two people they could be not so great. They are nice and are very clean but, are quite tiny. Being that this is an older building, the walls are thin and I would suggest a room at the end of the hall away from foot traffic. You can hear your neighbors next door if you don't request a room at the end of the hall. Catch my drift???? There are a lot of options for hotels in Portland and this little gem is a fun place to stay. A hip hotel in a very hip city!

• Stayed July 2010, traveled with family
Fortaleza, CE
Reviewed July 10, 2010

The many movie-themed photos and small, elegant, old style lobby make this an art deco hotel, I guess. The rooms are small, and the walls thinner than for most hotels of this level (the staff admitted this is one price of staying in an historic hotel). We did ask to be moved from our original room due to noise from our neighbors. The next room had more street noise, but no neighbors, and I managed to sleep well with the aid of ear plugs (my wife had no problem). We used the free business center and found the Internet access very good. The restaurant was on the pricey side, but the bar had good food (small items) and bar specials during their late happy hour (starting 9 p.m.). The front desk staff was generally helpful. The hotel is within easy walking distance of shopping and restaurants and, as noted, adjacent to a light rail station (on the Red and Blue lines-- the former goes to the airport). We did not have a car so didn't have to pay the $25 parking fee. When we got a rental car on our last day and picked up our bags, we were allowed to park for free for a couple of hours while we finished parking. The hotel would be good for those who want something different and don't mind somewhat small rooms and aren't highly sensitive to noise. It does have charm, and for $80 plus taxes and fees (Priceline), I shouldn't be overly critical.

• Stayed June 2010, traveled on business
KlaudioPortland, General Manager at Hotel deLuxe, responded to this review, July 12, 2010
Dear Sutter Fortaleza,

Thank you very much for your review. We would welcome an opportunity to review some room options for your next trip and find one that would meet your needs. We have a large selection of room types and I am confident that we will be able to identify a few with a lot more space and more favorable floor plan. Thank you again for your valuable feedback and I look forward to welcoming you back to the deLuxe.

Klaudio Simic
Spokane, Washington
Reviewed July 4, 2010

Nice folks running the place-from Valet, front desk, waiters,house keepers--like to think the manager is nice as well.