“always a favorite”
Review of Hotel deLuxe

Hotel deLuxe
Ranked #7 of 146 Hotels in Portland
Reviewed July 10, 2010

This is my sixth or seventh time at Hotel deLuxe. I have never submitted a review until now. We love this hotel. I have stayed a much finer hotels but, there is something about this little gem that warms the heart. It is a much older building and there are things about it that might not be all that great but, the service is excellent. The staff bends over backwards to meet all your needs. The beds, linens and pillows are heavenly! The bathrooms are very small and for two people they could be not so great. They are nice and are very clean but, are quite tiny. Being that this is an older building, the walls are thin and I would suggest a room at the end of the hall away from foot traffic. You can hear your neighbors next door if you don't request a room at the end of the hall. Catch my drift???? There are a lot of options for hotels in Portland and this little gem is a fun place to stay. A hip hotel in a very hip city!

• Stayed: July 2010, traveled with family
Write a ReviewReviews (2,875)

Reviewed July 10, 2010

The many movie-themed photos and small, elegant, old style lobby make this an art deco hotel, I guess. The rooms are small, and the walls thinner than for most hotels of this level (the staff admitted this is one price of staying in an historic hotel). We did ask to be moved from our original room due to noise from our neighbors. The next room had more street noise, but no neighbors, and I managed to sleep well with the aid of ear plugs (my wife had no problem). We used the free business center and found the Internet access very good. The restaurant was on the pricey side, but the bar had good food (small items) and bar specials during their late happy hour (starting 9 p.m.). The front desk staff was generally helpful. The hotel is within easy walking distance of shopping and restaurants and, as noted, adjacent to a light rail station (on the Red and Blue lines-- the former goes to the airport). We did not have a car so didn't have to pay the $25 parking fee. When we got a rental car on our last day and picked up our bags, we were allowed to park for free for a couple of hours while we finished parking. The hotel would be good for those who want something different and don't mind somewhat small rooms and aren't highly sensitive to noise. It does have charm, and for $80 plus taxes and fees (Priceline), I shouldn't be overly critical.

• Stayed: June 2010, traveled on business
KlaudioPortland, General Manager at Hotel deLuxe, responded to this reviewResponded July 12, 2010

Dear Sutter Fortaleza,

Thank you very much for your review. We would welcome an opportunity to review some room options for your next trip and find one that would meet your needs. We have a large selection of room types and I am confident that we will be able to identify a few with a lot more space and more favorable floor plan. Thank you again for your valuable feedback and I look forward to welcoming you back to the deLuxe.

Klaudio Simic
Hotel deLuxe

Reviewed July 4, 2010

Nice folks running the place-from Valet, front desk, waiters,house keepers--like to think the manager is nice as well.

• Stayed: July 2010, traveled as a couple
Reviewed June 29, 2010

I stayed at the DeLuxe in Portland for two nights. The hotel was in my view exceptional - smart rooms, great staff, excellent fxtures and comfort/conveniences. The confident and consistent styling was really the icing on the cake. Yes the standard rooms are a trifle slim but the other positives are clearly overwhelming.

• Stayed: August 2009, traveled on business
Reviewed June 28, 2010

Beautiful hotel in a convenient location in downtown Portland.

Pros:
+ Comfortable bed
+ Stylish furniture
+ Clean bathroom
+ Helpful staff in calling a cab and giving us directions around the neighborhood.
+ Close walking distance to the Pearl District - shopping, restaurants, breweries (but the more casual and dive bars are on the other side of the river)
+ Free internet access
+ Right next to a light rail station that takes you to the airport

Cons:
- The room was on the smaller side, but not too small to make the stay uncomfortable. But I can see how it could bother others.
- Parking is a bit pricey, but there is street parking available for up to 5 hours.

• Stayed: June 2010, traveled as a couple
Reviewed June 19, 2010

I've had the pleasure of staying at this "Art Deco" style hotel a few times. The staff is absolutely excellent, the restaurant/bar is amazing and I can't say enough about how comfortable the beds are! It's a block or so from the tram, making it an excellent location.

• Stayed: June 2010, traveled on business
Reviewed June 19, 2010

Overall, great stay at the Hotel Deluxe. Bed was nice and comfy. Bathroom, on the small size. The view - a joke. Make sure you check out my pics of "the view." Staff - excellent. I was there to celebrate my 40th birthday. The staff had 2 bottles of water and a hand written birthday card waiting for me when I entered the room. A nice touch, thank-you! Did not have dinner at the Screening Room, however at there several times for breakfast - very tasty. Great service as well. Location - kinda in the middle of nowhere. It was in a dead zone of the city. Had to walk a few blocks to get to Portland's attractions like The Pearl, downtown, The Arts area, etc. Would I stay again, heck yes. I would make sure you view is a little better than mine and without the chicken wire on the windows!

• Stayed: June 2010, traveled as a couple