“A top-line, well-placed Portland hotel with great rates, comfortable rooms, and welcoming staff” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of Hotel deLuxe

Hotel deLuxe
Ranked #4 of 138 Hotels in Portland
Northern Virginia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 29, 2009

In mid-April 2009 we enjoyed a three-night special (one-night free) at Hotel deLuxe and found every aspect of our experience to be quite satisfying. This was our first trip to Portland and we were looking for relaxing accommodations after a 10 day photo tour road trip beginning in Yosemite and coming up the California and Oregon coast. From the moment we were greeted by very nice doormen and reception staff until we departed using our final car valet service, we knew we had found a gem of a hotel. We live in Virginia and are widely traveled in the U.S. and abroad. There are many fine hotels around the world with accommodations and staff featuring all the bell-and-whistles, but Hotel deLuxe Portland comes across with the right stuff: good location in downtown Portland; quality, responsive service; immaculate, comfortable rooms; and staff manning the doors and front desk and housekeeping who care about their guests and their concerns. They convey interest in our travel objectives and issues and relate to us as people, not simply as transient customers. The style and sensitivities of the people who operate Hotel deLuxe at every level seem to represent a microcosm of the welcoming spirit of Portland. A solid and comfortable established hotel.

• 5 of 5 bubbles

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (290)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
Des Moines, Iowa
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 27, 2009

My husband and I loved Hotel deLuxe. The rooms were immaculate, the service was excellent and the ambience was lovely and unique.

Minneapolis
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 20, 2009

My husband and I have both traveled a lot for business and leisure. We both really liked this hotel. From the moment our car door was opened, to the moment it was closed, the service was outstandingly warm, helpful, and friendly - not fake, not pretentious - the real deal! Not normally into kitschy themed hotels, I wasn't expecting to really get in to the Hollywood spin on the place, but as soon as we walked up the stairs into the lobby I felt like I had been transported to another world - and it felt good.

I asked for a view when I booked the room - and we got it. Thank you! We had a 6th floor room overlooking downtown. Perfect!! The bed was comfy, the room and particularly bathroom, were clean, no complaints there. I never get why people complain about room size - it was smaller, yes, but really what do you need? We had a king and the room felt just fine. European sized is fine by us.

As a business traveler I would have found the business center useful as well as the free wireless (that is so key to a good stay anymore). Coffee machine in the room when you don't feel like searching out caffeine. Ironing board, blow dryer, nice Aveda supplies, table and chair for working.

We liked the location - walking distance on a sunny weekend to both the Pearl District and Nob Hill. We miss living in a walkable city - so that was great. If I was a solo female traveler or it had been raining, the location may not have seemed so great, but it is right on the rail line, you can rent a car and valet it, or you can cab it.

Our only complaint - the first night we heard a lot of water noise. The bathroom walls seemed thin. Even though our heads were next to a cleaning closet, it seemed like someone's bathroom was right there - we heard baths being run, people doing things people do in bathrooms, etc. That is the only thing we had to complain about and in an old building I am not sure what one would do about it. The second night we didn't hear any water noises - so were please with that.

One of the main reasons we chose this place is because of the reviews, needing some peaceful r&r, and not wanting to hear too-cool-for-school folks partying all night. We were very pleased with our stay and would stay again if we find ourselves in lovely Portland.

seattle
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 20, 2009

Service was wonderful and the room was spotless but the queen room was one of the smallest I have ever stayed in. We were just there for one night so it wasn't a huge deal but for more than one night you might want to spring for a larger room if you're sharing with a friend or partner. Loved the robes, the Aveda bath products, the iPod clock radio, and the pillow menu. It's also a great location - a little out of the downtown core so it seems quieter but it's close to transit and walking distance to the Pearl. Wireless not free - it's definitely time to change that policy!

• Stayed April 2009
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
marin, california
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 18, 2009

We loved this hotel; it was an absolute treat. Genuinely friendly and professional staff, beautifully designed surroundings, immaculately clean. Our double queen was quite spacious, though that may have been due to the fact that it was a handicap-accessible room. It was also incredibly quiet, with no sound from adjacent rooms. I'm not a clean freak, but the whole place from the front doors, through the lobby, elevators, corridors and rooms was amazingly fresh and well-maintained; that in itself felt like a luxury. That consistency was also apparent throughout the staff - everybody was so darn nice.
While not located smack in the middle of downtown, the blocks in Portland are really small, so the deLuxe was well within walking distance from everything we wanted to see. We also enjoyed a terrific breakfast at their restaurant, Gracie's. We would stay there again in a heartbeat.

• Stayed April 2009, traveled with family
Los Angeles
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 17, 2009

I stayed at the beautiful Hotel deLuxe with my teenage son while visiting colleges in the Pacific Northwest. We stayed in a junior suite with one lovely bedroom and a separate sitting room with a sleeper sofa (thank God). It was beautiful, the decor fantastic, and the beds and linens were luxurious (my son even said the sleeper was great). The staff was so helpful and the service spectacular. The level of comfort and luxury were way beyond what I owuld expect to pay for my lovely huge room. I would stay there again in a nanosecond.
Nancy in Los Angelesl

• Stayed April 2009, traveled with family
Indianapolis, Indiana
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 17, 2009

I was so impressed with the Hotel deLuxe on our recent trip to Portland. It was one of the best hotel experiences I've had in a long time.

We stayed in one of the queen deluxe rooms. It was incredibly spacious and comfortable, with a beautiful view of downtown Portland. We had a huge TV, comfortable beds and a clean (if somewhat small) bathroom. Even better, it was reasonably priced at just $144; I've paid twice as much for similar rooms in other hotels.

The best part of our experience was the service. Our room phone had a "make it so" button, and the staff who answered were always friendly and helpful. But I have to give special thanks to the valet. Once we got settled in our room, I said to my friend, "Shoot. I left my cell phone in the car." About five seconds later, the valet knocked on our door with my cell phone in hand, because he had seen it in the car and thought I might want it. I was just so impressed.

The hotel, which has an "old Hollywood" theme and beautiful decor, is conveniently located about two blocks from the nearest tram stop. We took the tram to dinner, and it was much easier than getting the car back from the valet and having to find parking at the restaurant.

In short, we had a wonderful experience at Hotel deLuxe, and I'll definitely be staying there next time we visit Portland.

• Stayed April 2009, traveled with friends