“Vintage hotel with all the modren ammenities”
Review of Hotel deLuxe

Hotel deLuxe
Ranked #4 of 141 Hotels in Portland
el cerrito,ca
“Vintage hotel with all the modren ammenities”
Reviewed January 27, 2009

My recent stay at this charming vintage (and very modern) hotel was outstanding. The staff at the front desk treated us like friends, the dining room staff made sure EVERYTHING was just right and listened when we ask for something (tea properly made) and did not forget the three mornings we were there. Our dinners were certainly top notch.
The room was squeaky clean, extremly comfortable beds and a choice of pillows to suit everyone! The young gentlemen at the door made sure our car was there as needed and were very attentive. And lots of fun.
Even though their prices are a tad high for I will certainly stay here again. The mangement contacted me after I came home to be sure we enjoyed our stay. Who else does that?

• Liked — Friendly, efficent staff
  • Disliked — no grab bar in tub
  • Stayed January 2009
    • Check in / front desk

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (292)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
San Ramon
Reviewed January 21, 2009

I fly to Portland monthly for business, and discovered the Deluxe about a year ago.

This is a great hotel. The "theme" isn't overdone, and being a vintage movie buff, it is a bit like being a kid in a candy shop with all the photos, references to the golden age of cinema, etc.

The front desk staff (inclulding the valet staff) are "there"....they get that this is about the customer's experience....and they make it a good one.

The rooms are clean, well appointed, and have that vintage feel of a botique. Nice.

The Driftwood bar is cozy, and the bar menu (especially at the early and late happy hours) is very reasonable. The burger at the bar is over the top good. Stacy, the bar-tender some nights, is also engaged and makes the visit to the bar enjoyable.

The restaurant, Gracie's, is opulent....looks like a set from one of those "all signing - all dancing" musicals. I fully expected Gene Krupa to pop up on a bandstand in the corner. Oh well. Interesting selection of traditional, seasonal, and non-traditional dishes...all very well prepared and presented. Oh, and good eats too.

Stay there. It's a bit off the beaten track, but only a 5 minute walk from the "night life" of downtown proper.

• Liked — The style of the hotel and it's accomodation.
  • Disliked — The cost of parking
  • Stayed January 2009, traveled on business
2 Thank robpete
Minnesota
Reviewed January 17, 2009

I booked my reservations at the Hotel deLuxe website and got a great deal. Due to the flooding from all the snow, the route from Seattle to Portland was closed. Hotel personnel were great at moving my reservations!
From the moment you arrive at the hotel till when you depart, the personnel treats you very well. It is THE distinguishing feature from all other hotels!
The guest rooms are plush and cozy. The unique choice of pillows and reading material is interesting.
I received recommendations from the hotel for restaurants which also treated you well recognizing were guests from the Hotel deLuxe.
It was a fabulous stay; relaxing, warm, friendly, and inviting.

• Liked — Service from the personnel
  • Stayed January 2009, traveled with family
2 Thank MNVoyaguer
Fairbanks, Alaska
Reviewed January 10, 2009

We stayed at the Hotel Deluxe coming into Oregon and again on our way out. The rates were very reasonable and the quality of service was excellent. While staff at other hotels were accommodating and helpful, there was a special quality in the way this staff treated you - everything was ready at your merest request and it was provided in such a way I felt no embarrassment at being pampered.

The decor is wonderful, if you favor clean lines and a hint of art deco. The menu at Gracie's is modest, but both of our meals were very well done. The beds were high quality and did not sag from over use. The only downside at all was the standard rooms, queen bed, are on the small side. However, we chose the king corner room coming back in to Portland (it was on special) and it was AMAZING!.

• Liked — Location, staff, decor, service, room quality and amenities
  • Disliked — Smallish standard room
  • Stayed January 2009, traveled as a couple
Portland
Reviewed January 6, 2009

Everything about this hotel was beautiful, comfortable, romantic and welcoming. The staff knew my name from the moment I walked in the door. They truly seemed interested in making sure I was comfortable and happy. The lobby and restaurant make you feel like you're in a hotel with Astaire and Rogers, while the amenities in the room (pillow-topped mattress and duvets, pillow menu, iPod dock -and they have pre-programmed iPods in case you forgot yours-, Make It So button, flat-screen TV, top-quality robes, great shower heads and more) provide all the comforts of the present. Some would say the rooms are small but it is a historic building that kept its "historic" designation -- I found my room, the smallest available in the hotel, to be large enough and QUIET (really important to me). The restaurant - Gracie's, was top-notch. Room service 24/7, quick, friendly and excellent. Hotel prices surprisingly reasonable. I will definitely stay here again.

• Liked — Staff, ambience, food
  • Stayed December 2008, traveled solo
Bean777
Reviewed January 4, 2009

I love this hotel! I can’t say enough about the great experience we had. The hotel we were going to stay in ended up being booked, so after reading the Trip Advisor reviews I decided on this hotel for the first night of our little weekend getaway. I wish I’d booked the whole weekend there. From the minute we pulled up for the valet parking we were treated to smiles, advise and recommendations. We were given ideas for where to get the best Italian food, how to get to Powell’s (just a 5 minute walk to the bookstore and the cute little downtown) and we were offered anything and everything we needed. Even the call at 1:30 am for my husband’s antacid was amazing, they were at our door in less than 5 minutes.

The bathtub was deep, the hot water plentiful, and for us the King Deluxe was the perfect size (we don’t spend much time in our room, we like to get out and about). I’m sure the larger size rooms are perfect if you’re more the indoor type. We didn’t get a chance to try the restaurant but the bar was delicious and made a great cocktail. The décor was fantastic. My husbands a historian and he was in heaven and this is now in my top 3 of hotels and I’m pretty picky. This was a great unique hotel, with the ambiance of the early 20th century and the luxuries of the 21st. All in all a great stay and we’ll be visiting again.

• Liked — Great Location, Great Customer Service, Comfortable Rooms
  • Disliked — Cocktails in the bar were a little pricey (but they are everywhere)
  • Stayed January 2009, traveled as a couple
OlyWa
Reviewed December 21, 2008

We had an excellent stay at Hotel deLuxe. It is a very classy place yet the winter sale rate we got was quite reasonable. We appreciated that it included parking and internet. The room was impeccable. No complaints at all - and we'd definitely return.

• Liked — Classy
  • Stayed December 2008, traveled as a couple