“Loved, Loved, Loved!”

Ranked #4 of 141 Hotels in Portland
Bean777
“Loved, Loved, Loved!”
Reviewed January 4, 2009

I love this hotel! I can’t say enough about the great experience we had. The hotel we were going to stay in ended up being booked, so after reading the Trip Advisor reviews I decided on this hotel for the first night of our little weekend getaway. I wish I’d booked the whole weekend there. From the minute we pulled up for the valet parking we were treated to smiles, advise and recommendations. We were given ideas for where to get the best Italian food, how to get to Powell’s (just a 5 minute walk to the bookstore and the cute little downtown) and we were offered anything and everything we needed. Even the call at 1:30 am for my husband’s antacid was amazing, they were at our door in less than 5 minutes.

The bathtub was deep, the hot water plentiful, and for us the King Deluxe was the perfect size (we don’t spend much time in our room, we like to get out and about). I’m sure the larger size rooms are perfect if you’re more the indoor type. We didn’t get a chance to try the restaurant but the bar was delicious and made a great cocktail. The décor was fantastic. My husbands a historian and he was in heaven and this is now in my top 3 of hotels and I’m pretty picky. This was a great unique hotel, with the ambiance of the early 20th century and the luxuries of the 21st. All in all a great stay and we’ll be visiting again.

• Liked — Great Location, Great Customer Service, Comfortable Rooms
  • Disliked — Cocktails in the bar were a little pricey (but they are everywhere)
  • Stayed January 2009, traveled as a couple
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (292)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
OlyWa
Reviewed December 21, 2008

We had an excellent stay at Hotel deLuxe. It is a very classy place yet the winter sale rate we got was quite reasonable. We appreciated that it included parking and internet. The room was impeccable. No complaints at all - and we'd definitely return.

• Liked — Classy
  • Stayed December 2008, traveled as a couple
1 Thank TofuRangler
Missouri
Reviewed December 18, 2008

This was my second stay at Hotel DeLuxe (previous stay was Sept 2008). Both stays were approx 1week. Both stays were fantastic!
I booked a Queen Deluxe Room and thought the room size was perfect (though I was travelling alone). The room and bathroom were both spotless and the housekeepers maintained this spotlessness throughout my stay! The color scheme is beautiful and the whole hotel is very well maintained. The black and white photos on each floor are great to look at (different photos on each floor).
I ordered room service for breakfast every morning and the order was always correct and delivered within the timeframe I had requested.
In spite of the beautiful decor and excellent maintenance of the hotel, the staff were the greatest asset of the entire hotel!!! Each and every staff member I encountered during both stays were very gracious and accommodating, and smiling!! An extreme example of how wonderful the staff are is that during one of my stays a grave family crises occurred. The staff could not have been more helpful or compassionate. They went out of their way to assist me as much as possible... something I think is unique to this staff!
I wholeheartedly recommend this hotel to any traveller seeking a great stay at a reasonable price !!!
I will mention one SMALL issue which occurred in both stays...
when you take a shower the tub does not drain quickly so you can end up standing in 2 inches of water during your shower! It was not terribly bothersome, but puzzling due to the attention to detail regarding all other issues in the hotel! Don't let this small detail keep you from a stay at this wonderful hotel!

• Liked — Staff
  • Stayed November 2008, traveled solo
1 Thank maluha
Budapest, Hungary
Reviewed December 7, 2008

We live in Seattle and travel to Portland at least 4 or 5 times/year either for a get-a-way or business.
Typically stay at the Monaco (aka 5th ave suites) and this was our first time at the DeLuxe. Overall, VERY impressed and have only good things to say. Excellent rooms, public spaces, really great bar and outstanding service. The location is quite different than the Monaco and most other d'town hotel options in that it is on the soutwest part of d'town and not really in the 'middle' of everything. But Portland is so small that it doesn't matter and we actually preferred it because its an easier walk to the Pearl and also close to Wash Park. Highly recommend the DeLuxe and will return next time in Portland.

• Liked — Rooms, bar,pet friendly
  • Disliked — nothing
  • Stayed November 2008, traveled as a couple
1 Thank MAB430
Sacramento, California
Reviewed December 2, 2008

My boyfriend and I spent the weekend in Portland and stayed 3 nights at the hotel deLuxe. We had never been to the city and were happily surprised at how central this hotel is to the streetcar stations, shopping districts, and many restaurants and bars. All of the employees were very friendly and helpful. We found the decor stylish and classy. The small but cozy Driftwood bar located off the lobby had several unique cocktails and became a favorite place of ours after a long day exploring the city on foot.
The only complaint we have about the hotel was that our room was cold and drafty. It seems like this is an old hotel that was recently renovated, so it is to be expected, I guess. Otherwise we enjoyed our stay thoroughly.

• Liked — Helpful employees, location
  • Disliked — Drafty, cold room
  • Stayed November 2008, traveled as a couple
los angeles, california
Reviewed December 2, 2008

I had a great two-night stay at the Hotel Deluxe. The public areas are classy and well-kept, and the rooms are the same.

I had a standard room on the 6th floor with a great view of downtown. Great bed and linens, LCD TV, plenty of closet and drawer space, nice bathroom, and a very-well-stocked mini bar which included all kinds of goodies and useful items beyond snacks and drinks, priced pretty reasonably. Iron and ironing board, as well as a refrigerator and safe. Room was quiet and comfortable. The room was a bit small, but perfect for one, cozy for two. The larger rooms are quite big by comparison, and can easily accommodate five or more people, if you're meeting friends for a drink in the room or something like that.

All the staff are very professional, and extremely eager to please. Lots of little cute extras thrown guests' way, which I won't mention here in order to keep them a pleasant surprise.

The bar in the lobby is very handsome, dark, and chill. A great place to have a quiet drink. Gracie's restaurant served up an excellent Sunday brunch. I can only suspect that the rest of the menu is equally-good.

I used the exercise room one morning, and everything was in good working order: Treadmill, elliptical, stationary bike, and weight bench. There's a TV, and towels and water are provided. The business center next to it has two computer terminals and a printer, and I appreciated that there was no charge to use them. Wifi is available for a fee.

If I could find any fault, it would be a middling one: Each room has climate control via a wall unit, which is pretty quiet (though far from silent). Though I ended up setting the thermostat to ever-higher numbers, the room never got quite 'toasty'. This isn't to say I was uncomfortable, but it was a bit odd nonetheless.

A great stay, at a very good price. The same room in a larger, more 'touristy' town than Portland would easily fetch a price far higher than I paid, at least twice as much.

• Liked — Very welcome feeling
  • Disliked — nothing
  • Stayed November 2008, traveled with family
1 Thank jeffpeff
seattle
Reviewed November 30, 2008

We stayed at Hotel deLuxe at becuase of the location (downtown portland) and chic style. Our room was quite small, but comfortable and well furnished. Most of the downtown Portland attractions were just a few blocks away from the hotel and the staff were helpful with directions, parking, and suggestions for meals - especially breakfast. The room was quiet, even though the hotel is near the highway.

We did have a bit of a problem with the bathtub drain while we stayed. This was taken care of while we were out for the day. I also recieved a note from the manager thanking us for our stay and the feedback we provided.

Overall - its a stylish hotel and the value is pretty good.

• Liked — Clean and comfortable
  • Disliked — Room was a bit small
  • Stayed May 2008, traveled as a couple