“What a lovely hotel!”

Ranked #4 of 141 Hotels in Portland
Cincinnati, Ohio
“What a lovely hotel!”
Reviewed July 24, 2014

The Hotel deLuxe took very good care of us during our stay in Portland. The staff was courteous, the rooms were excellent, and the breakfasts were both tasty and reasonably priced by hotel standards. Finally the location was perfect for our needs, close to downtown and Portland's marvelous public transportation system. When we get back to Portland, we know where we will stay.

Tim B, General Manager at Hotel deLuxe, responded to this review, July 31, 2014
I love that we were able to help you feel taken care of during your trip to the City of Roses. It sounds like you got to know Trimet, Porltand's fantastic transit system, which is such a great way to see the city. I'm glad that Portland impressed you enough to inspire a return, and doubly glad you will be staying with us!

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (294)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
Santa Fe, New Mexico
Reviewed July 20, 2014

We were scheduled to spend four nights at the deLuxe, but my husband had a bicycling accident and surgery in Hood River the day before our scheduled arrival. His cycling friends checked him into the hotel and left. The staff gave him a heating pad, made sure he had food and was comfortable before I arrived the next day. We wearied of room service but my husband couldn't walk; finally I thought to ask for a wheelchair so we could at least get out of the room. The hotel was more than happy to oblige. Long story short, the staff really took good care of us.
The deLuxe is a very nice hotel: quiet rooms (we were on the back side), very good housekeeping, nice furnishings. Gracie's restaurant has a good selection of wines, small plates, salads, larger entrees and desserts (we were lucky to get in-season marionberry pie). We didn't try the bar (which also serves food); the lounge was a nice place to hang out, even in a wheelchair. Thank you to everyone at Hotel deLuxe for being so good to us! We will be back, on our feet, for a real visit soon.

Room Tip: We had an accessible room on the 5th floor with two queen beds. It was very large.
Tim B, General Manager at Hotel deLuxe, responded to this review, July 30, 2014
I'm so sorry that your trip was marred by such an unfortunate accident, but certainly glad to know that we were able to help you and your husband feel cared for as he recovered. We try to keep wheelchairs and crutches handy for exactly these kinds of unexpected occurrences! I certainly understand it can get a little tiresome to dine in your room day after day, so it's excellent that you took advantage of our restaurant; I hope the old word ambiance and fresh cuisine of Gracie's was relaxing enough to help your husband recuperate that much faster. We will see you again soon, and next time we'll make sure to have all sorts of suggestions for you to explore Portland on foot!
Walnut Creek, California
Reviewed July 19, 2014

Stayed here for 3 days. This is an old building that has been totally renovated with an interesting Hollywood theme. My room was small, but very comfortable and impeccably clean. Cool restaurant and bar in the hotel with some great drink specials. The staff was friendly and helpful. Easy walk to downtown. Only downside is that it's a bit noisy. Being that it's an older building, you'll here water running and toilets flushing. The light rail runs adjacent to the hotel and you can hear the grinding up until midnight. If you're noise sensitive, this isn't your place. If the noise issue doesn't bother you, then it's a great choice.

Room Tip: For a quieter room, ask to be kept away from the street adjacent to the light rail line.
  • Stayed June 2014, traveled solo
2 Thank CACAtraveler
Tim B, General Manager at Hotel deLuxe, responded to this review, July 30, 2014
I thank you for taking into consideration the age of our building when assessing the noise level. While some of our rooms are located off of the light rail track, we are happy to assist in finding other options for guests who are sensitive to the sound. I'm quite happy to know that you found your room comfortable during your three day stay, and certainly pleased you found yourself in the position to have a few drinks and snacks in the Driftwood Room. Our twice-a-day happy hour is here to stay, but we will be sure to have all new libations for you to enjoy when you return!
Ellicott City, Maryland
Reviewed July 19, 2014

This is a lovely hotel in a quiet but convenient location to downtown Portland. It is themed in "old movies" but this is subtle and done by beautiful photography capturing scenes from old movies or radios. Although the room was smallish it was big enough and the bed was comfortable. The service in all parts of the hotel was great. From the friendly checkin complete with suggestions for dining, to the valet who gave us water bottles every day to the waitstaff. We had breakfast in the hotel each day which was excellent.

Room Tip: I always ask for a quiet room so they put us on the top floor (8th).
1 Thank cherev65
Tim B, General Manager at Hotel deLuxe, responded to this review, July 30, 2014
I'm so glad you enjoyed your stay with us. There are over 400 film stills lining the corridors and in each of our 130 rooms, and each was hand selected to pique the interest of both film buffs and those who might be unfamiliar with the classic Hollywood films of the 30's, 40's and 50's. I'm happy to hear you found our service in keeping with the elegance of our theme, and hope that we can see you again when you return to Portland.
Norfolk, Virginia
Reviewed July 14, 2014

For our recent trip to Portland, we definitely wanted to be in the middle of the action. But, we didn't want to be in a trendy hotel with hotel staff that are clueless or a place packed with scenesters after being burned on a recent trip to Nashville.

Hotel deLuxe had the perfect balance. The environment was classy and historic. The rooms were comfortable and well equipped with ipod docks and clean, inviting bathrooms.

The staff was great! They were friendly and offered recommendations. The valet staff is one of the best that I've come across. They are laid back and offer water. I had a great conversation with one valet guy.

Location is perfectly situated within walking distance of the major neighborhoods. And, I enjoyed my morning jogs from there. I noticed the Timbers stadium is close by. The location is peaceful and quiet. There is not much traffic nearby.

2 Thank Gritsandhominy
Tim B, General Manager at Hotel deLuxe, responded to this review, July 30, 2014
It sounds like you needed a shot of glamour after your trip to Tennessee, and I'm glad we could deliver it. I will definitely pass along to all of the staff that their efforts to help you have a memorable trip were successful, and I'm thrilled to know one of our valets went above and beyond to ensure your experience with us was comfortable. I hope you will come see us again; maybe after a Timbers game!
Oregon
Reviewed July 11, 2014

Stayed at Hotel deluxe several days during the last year. Found rooms to be very small, dark and bathrooms very cramped for two intimate travelers. The bed was not comfortable either stay at the deLuxe. The room furniture looks more like Goodwill than charming. We love Historic hotels and Boutique accommodations. Did not find this quaint and certainly not classy. The advertisements appeared nicer than the rooms I have stayed in each time. I stay frequently in Portland, Oregon and this doesn't compete well with other 4 star hotels in Portland-sorry. Especially for long or mid winter stays . I appreciated the front desk staff who were friendly and the restaurant, "Gracie's" was nice. The bar was fun but sometimes too crowded to even get into in evenings. Lots of noise from the nearby freeway and 'clanking' things like poor heating/air. Not restful. Actually enjoyed hotel more before it was redone and just not called a Boutique.
The proximity to the Pearl district for walkers (just across Burnside) is a nice feature for this hotel and likely brings more travelers in. Also the "pet friendly "assists many travelers in need of this. If you compare other 4 star accommodations in the downtown area I think the deLuxe will come up a bit short. The others are closer to the museums, nightlife, theater, outstanding and diverse eateries, restaurants and bars. They would need something more than they have got now to lure travelers there.

Room Tip: Lots of noise in both rooms and hotel areas we have stayed in. Ask for the largest and quietest acc...
  • Stayed January 2014, traveled as a couple
1 Thank celestskye
Tim B, General Manager at Hotel deLuxe, responded to this review, July 29, 2014
Thank you for staying with us and for sharing your feedback. I'm sorry to hear that your stays did not meet your expectations. We truly do our best to wow every one of our guests, so please be assured that we take your concerns seriously. Our pillow-top mattresses can sometimes be a little too soft for some--in which case our staff is glad to provide options to firm it up. I do apologize that our décor was not to your taste, but I am glad to hear that you were able to enjoy a few meals and drinks in Gracie's and the Driftwood Room. We have one of the longest and most popular happy hours in the city, so when the bar fills up, we are happy to offer the same menu in our lobby. Our goal is always 100% guest satisfaction, and when the staff is made aware of any complaints, they are eager to assist. I hope you will allow us another chance to impress you when you return to Portland.
SFO
Reviewed July 7, 2014

Stayed in June for one night. Room was easy to book and find downtown. Parking is valet or self park on corner. Room 302 faced the street and was small but bright and inviting. Bathroom was very nice and clean. Hotel has a 30's 40's art deco film theme and is very clean. Small dark bar had everything we could want. Staff very nice and upbeat. Recommend with 2 big thumbs up.

Room Tip: No noise issues even when facing main drag.
  • Stayed June 2014, traveled with family
3 Thank WhirledTravelor
Tim B, General Manager at Hotel deLuxe, responded to this review, July 23, 2014
I'm glad you enjoyed your stay with us. The Driftwood Room is definitely a nice, dark spot to enjoy a refreshing cocktail to cool off during these hot summer days we've been having. Thanks for recommending us to your friends, and we hope to see you again too!