“Great Experience”

Ranked #4 of 140 Hotels in Portland
Chicago, IL
“Great Experience”
Reviewed November 8, 2008

The Hotel deLuxe lived up our expectations. The service was fantastic, the bed comfortable, and the 50s decor/ accents were a nice touch for a boutique hotel. The one "negative" and we had expected it from other reviews, is that the regular rooms are a little small; but as my girlfriend and I were there to explore Portland and not hang out in our room, it was still very comfortable - if you want a lot of room upgrade to the suite. The valet and front desk personal were very knowledgeable and helped us out quite a few times. The hotel itself is with in walking distance to almost every area of the city, or very close to public transportation, we hardly ended up using the car that we had rented. Also, the Driftwood is a great hotel bar to relax in, and Gracie's has great food. All and all a great stay, when we return to Portland we will be staying here again.

• Liked — Proximity to city, service
  • Disliked — sixe of rooms
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (291)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
Las Vegas, Nevada
Reviewed November 4, 2008

I stayed here recently for a dear friend's wedding and was thoroughly impressed. To say that the property is charming is a serious understatment. The hotel has a classic cinema theme that is very well executed without being cheesy. The rooms are stylishly decorated and well appointed (Aveda bath products and interestingly stocked mini bar). We dined in the hotel restaurant for Sunday brunch and it was delicious! The location is fantastic - we took the Max Light Rail both to and from the airport, which was incredibly convienient and good for the environment :) Every staff member we encountered was friendly and helpful, even offering us bottled water as we departed. Nothing negative to say, only heaps of praise!

If traveling to Portland, be sure to dine at both Wildwood and Ten 01. Also, don't miss the Chinese gardens - truly the most beautiful I have ever seen, with an authentic tea house in the center. They serve many, many types of teas in appropriate modes of presentation. Also, assorted flavors of moon cakes!

• Liked — Classic style and charm. Location is fantastic!
  • Disliked — Absolutely Nothing!!
Portland, OR
Reviewed October 28, 2008

I only have positive words for Hotel DeLuxe and staff! My college roommate and I decided to book a fun girls' weekend away from our husbands and kids. We wanted a sophisticated atmosphere that was close to great shopping and food. Hotel DeLuxe did NOT disappoint!!

I was pleased to find the hotel had an offer running, called "Babes on Broadway" that catered to our desired level of pampering. We got unlimited valet parking, a box of Saint Cupcake cupcakes, $40 vouchers for foot massages at the FootBar, late check out, 2 free martinis at the bar, and breakfast included in this deal. Their site wouldn't allow me to book this package online, so I called the hotel directly and they booked it for me, no problem.

When we arrived for check-in, they gave us a free upgrade to a king deluxe suite instead of the queen, WITHOUT us asking! Now, that is superior service if you ask me! They also let us pick ANY drink off the menu at the Driftwood Bar and the front desk threw in an extra $10 off of food and drink voucher at the bar that we weren't expecting! We got there just in time for happy hour to start. We had originally planned on eating dinner out at a different restaurant in Portland, but we had so much fun and great service at the Driftwood, that we stayed on site and enjoyed our freebies and the AWESOME HAPPY HOUR MENU!

The beds and pillow were great. The room was plenty big for 2 people. I don't know what everyone is complaining about! It was just perfect.

We had a wonderful brunch at Gracie's, also on site. The value is great eating here. Superior, local food, at a reasonable price. All the staff members in all areas of service were exellent. I will recommend this hotel to my family and friends, and will come back again for future occasions!

Thank you, Hotel DeLuxe!

• Liked — Theme, comfy bed, good food, excellent staff
  • Disliked — parking
  • Stayed October 2008, traveled with friends
Sanford, Maine
Reviewed October 26, 2008

I arrived at the Deluxe very late on a Sunday evening after a day-full of airplane travel, very ready for a place to rest my head. Booking a hotel for somewhere you're going to be for a whole week can be a little daunting, since it will become your home for that period of time.

I was thrilled with the level of service and friendliness the Deluxe had to offer. My King Deluxe room was plenty-spacious for one person...and probably for two as well. My room looked refreshed and perfectly tidy when I returned from work each day—and the Aveda products were always freshly restocked! Quite the treat...

The Driftwood Room, the hotel bar, serves the full menu from Gracies, which was great. The drink-list is competitive with restaurants like Andina and Blue Hour as well.

I highly recommend the Deluxe for business travelers and those looking for a romantic getaway. The hotel's within very reasonable walking distance to all points of NW and SW.

• Liked — The atmosphere, the staff, the decorr, but more than anything--the bed and pillows!
  • Disliked — The elevator button for my floor would stick on occasion, which required help from the front desk to get it un-stuck. Not a huge deal at all.
  • Stayed October 2008, traveled on business
Midwest
Reviewed October 20, 2008

The Hotel Deluxe is exactly that-deluxe. I recently stayed there for two nights. The 40's/50's theme was extremely cool and the staff was very helpful and polite. In fact, on the first day of my stay as I was heading out to do some shopping, the doorman remembered my name! Impressive.

The ambience is exquisite, the furnishings were elegant, and the Driftwood Room...<sigh> I wish I was back there right now!

I ate in Gracie's restaurant twice, once for breakfast and once for lunch, and the food was delicious. Yes, my room was a little small, but details like the cool light fixtures, swanky furnishings, and nice walk-in closet made up for it's lack in size. I highly, highly recommend the Hotel Deluxe and can't wait until I can stay again.

• Stayed October 2008, traveled solo
1 Thank PinupGirl1
Washington, DC
Reviewed October 13, 2008

We stayed at the DeLuxe for three days during the first week in October and had a wonderful time. The staff are all friendly and as helpful as can be, the room was lovely if a little smaller than we expected, and the location is good. WiFi is available with a strong signal (as it should be for $10/day). Light rail is conveniently nearby, though Portland is such a nice walking city we didn't need it. Good restaurants are only a few blocks away, and there are lots of them. We especially enjoyed the Classical Chinese Garden and the Saturday craft market at the river.

Plano TX
Reviewed October 12, 2008

Stayed there 4 nights for Portland Marathon.

The good:
1. Cool hotel furnishings, in room & lobby. Hip hotel.
2. Right off the light rail line. Easy to get around city on free public transportation.
3. Close to Peal District & Nob Hill - good restaurants & shops.
4. Good beds. Aveda products. Nice shower. Nice flat screen TVs.
5. Good staff. Friendly, helpful. Good maid service.
6. Adequate business center & fitness room.
7. Restaurant & bar looked good - did not go though.
8. Free wall st journal & NY Times & usa today.
9. Good quality free coffee in room.

The bad:
1. Hotel is by itself. Nothing near for 3 blocks or so.
2. Hotel rooms & bath are small. Good for one, tight for two.
3. Rooms walls are thin - could hear people in adjacent room.
4. Rooms are pretty basic so I think if you can get the room using priceline or some such site, it's worth it, but not worth the full price that they list.
5. Hotel did not have much energy - never seemed like there were many people in the lobby.

Overall, a good place. I would recommend.

• Liked — Hip hotel on rail line.
  • Disliked — Isolated from anything for blocks.
  • Stayed October 2008, traveled solo
1 Thank evergreenjoe
KlaudioPortland, General Manager at Hotel deLuxe, responded to this review, October 27, 2008
Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to comment on your recent stay at the deLuxe. Your comments are very helpful and we appreciate your honest feedback. I am sorry you found our Hotel not to be worth the price you paid and while I think our rooms are anything but basic, it is important to me to provide you with the room and services that exceed your expectations. We have a number of different room types and layouts and I am confident we can assign one that will meet your needs. As for the location, while we are not located on the main street in Portland, we are within walking distance to anything Portland has to offer and still offer less noise and convenient access to and from the Hotel. I would welcome an opportunity to personally coordinate your next stay with us and learn more about your needs in a hotel. We would love to customize your future says to your specific needs and make your stay unforgettable. Thank you again for posting your review and I look forward to getting to know you.

Klaudio Simic