“Nice hotel within walking distance of Portland downtown attractions”
Review of Hotel deLuxe

Hotel deLuxe
Ranked #7 of 144 Hotels in Portland
Reviewed June 6, 2014

We enjoyed our stay at the Hotel DeLuxe. I'd consider it a boutique hotel with 8 floors and a pretty small lobby. The common areas and the rooms are in good condition but are on the older side. I think given the condition of the hotel and the amenities that I'd call it 3.5 stars instead of 4.

The staff is very friendly and helpful. We stayed in a room with two queen beds, which is very large, with high ceilings, lots of windows and natural light. The bathroom is pretty tiny and doesn't have counter space to place your personal belongings.

The hotel was pretty quiet at night but it seemed like it wasn't sold out when we were there.

Overall, it was a comfortable experience. It's within walking distance of Powell's Books, Deschutes Brewery, and most of downtown Portland. I would stay here again when visiting Portland.

• Stayed: June 2014, traveled with family
Tim B, General Manager at Hotel deLuxe, responded to this reviewResponded June 13, 2014

I appreciate you taking the time to let us know about your experience with us. Thank you for mentioning our lobby--we like to think that its glamour and intimacy is the perfect introduction to an overnight stay at Hotel deLuxe. I do apologize that you weren't provided with enough counter space in your bathroom; as an historic property, several of our rooms are configured a little bit differently. I hope the next time you find yourself in Portland you will stay with us and I'm sure our excellent staff will be able to choose a room for you that works a little better for your needs.

Write a ReviewReviews (2,867)

Reviewed May 31, 2014

I had an excellent stay at the Hotel deLuxe and would like to commend the entire staff especially Jordin at the Front Desk who was kind to accommodate my room change request hence the remainder of my stay was in an incredible corner room with a double view! Everyone from the housekeeping to door staff to the team at the Driftwood was polite, skilled, and seemed to absolutely love their job!
And the fitness room was one of the cleanest I've encountered in a hotel. Well done!

Room Tip: Ask for an "outside" room as some face an interior shaft.
  • Stayed: May 2014, traveled solo
Tim B, General Manager at Hotel deLuxe, responded to this reviewResponded June 3, 2014

Thank you for your kind words regarding your recent stay! I’m sorry that your original room was not to your liking, but I’m glad to hear that Jordin was able to find something for you that helped to make your stay a little more glamorous. It's fantastic that you were able to take advantage of our newly remodeled fitness center, and I will make sure to pass on your praise to our Housekeeping team who works hard to keep all of our facilities sparkling. We look forward to hosting you again the next time you are in Portland!

Reviewed May 30, 2014

We were very warmly welcomed by the staff. The rooms are nicely decorated, clean and comfortable. Has a very Mad Men vibe. Great location. Close to the MAX stop going directly to airport. The only thing that can out-perform the decor and amenities is the caring and genuine staff.

• Stayed: May 2014, traveled with friends

I’m so glad you enjoyed your stay with us at Hotel deLuxe. The MAX light rail system is a fantastic resource for locals and tourists alike, and we are very lucky to have a stop just a few blocks away that allows anyone to make it downtown, across the river, or even to the airport in just a few minutes. Now that Mad Men is on hiatus, I hope you will consider staying at Hotel deLuxe again in order to get your vintage glamour fix!

Reviewed May 29, 2014

Hotel deLuxe not only has a breathtakingly beautiful atmosphere but their customer service in all aspects were top notch. I rented a room to use for a photo shoot I had with a local band. Everyone was so helpful, from the front desk employees who took time out of their day to show us five different rooms so that we could pick the best backdrop for our photo shoot to the bellhops who helped me lug all of my camera equipment to and from the room.

After our shoot, we stopped into the bar for some wonderfully crafted cocktails and delicious snacks. If I ever need a hotel to recommend to someone staying in town or for another photo shoot, Hotel deLuxe is at the top of my list!

• Stayed: January 2014, traveled on business
Tim B, Manager at Hotel deLuxe, responded to this reviewResponded June 3, 2014

It’s exciting to know that our property has a part in promoting the local music scene that helps make Portland one of the best towns in the Pacific Northwest. Our staff prides itself on ensuring that every guest, no matter the reason they are staying, receives the finest service and has all of their needs met. I’m glad that the Driftwood Room was able to provide you with celebratory libations, and I hope that when the band finds itself playing a sold out show at the Crystal Ballroom just down the road, all of you will be able to experience the Hotel deLuxe for an overnight stay.

Reviewed May 28, 2014

Enjoyed our stay immensely, great location to access Pearl district. Front desk staff exceptional. The highlight for us was the hotel bar, The Driftwood Room. Mike and his team made each evening special ... great cocktails and happy hour 9:30 until close .. excellent ambience for couples for a late night cocktail ... loved it .... will be back ...

• Stayed: May 2014, traveled as a couple

Thank you for taking the time to share your experience at Hotel deLuxe! The Pearl District is a fantastic neighborhood and we’re glad to be within walking distance so that our guests can experience all the great food and shopping Portland has to offer. However, sometimes you don’t need to go far to have a great drink, and I’m delighted to know that Mike and his team at the Driftwood Room didn’t disappoint. I hope you can join us for another happy hour—we have two every single day—and try one of our new, locally-sourced Spring-time cocktails.

Reviewed May 28, 2014

It was our first time using last minute bidding thru Hotwire. I was realistic enough to not expect anything awesome, but where we stayed was just not so nice at all. I wasn't expecting a view, but what was outside of the window was a dirty corner with some machines/AC fans(?). It was loud with some high and low frequency noise throughout the whole night. It was dark and very small. This experience made me wonder if independent higher end hotels keep some outdated rooms for travellers to bid since we only know the rating of the hotels we bid, but not the hotel names. This is a good lesson for us, but I still do not think with a 4 star hotel, this is not the kind of the stay I would expect. Side note: staff was very nice, has free WIFI, bed was too soft.

• Stayed: May 2014, traveled as a couple
Tim B, General Manager at Hotel deLuxe, responded to this reviewResponded May 29, 2014

Thank you for taking the time to write your review of our property, your comments are very much valued. Our goal is 100% satisfaction, regardless of how the reservation is made. Please accept my sincere apology for you having received a room you were not happy with. Being a historic hotel, we have many different types of rooms and are always happy to select a different room for a guest if they are not satisfied. I am glad to know that you found the staff to be very nice. Our staff take customer satisfaction very seriously and will do whatever it takes to ensure each and every guest is happy.

Reviewed May 28, 2014

Hotel deLuxe is elegant and nice-looking. Photos of old Hollywood movies line the corridors, it creates a nice atmosphere. But last time i stayed, the room i was given was small, and the bathroom very small, even difficult to move in. Not in a noisy part of town, but the noise comes from within the hotel, rooms are not very well insulated.
The staff is polite and friendly, but quickly at a loss if you ask something out of the ordinary (i.e. a brush for my clothes ...).
Breakfast is nice but all a la carte, no buffet. Fitness center is very small.
Overall a nice experience, but nothing great, given the price paid. It lacks the little extra that would make it special.

Room Tip: Ask for a decent size bathroom.
  • Stayed: May 2014, traveled on business

Thank you for taking the time to let us know about your stay. We value our guests and hope to make every one of them feel well taken care of. I apologize that your room was less luxurious than you expected; as a boutique property in an historic building, some of our rooms are configured a little differently. Our staff is always happy to choose another option should a guest find themselves less than satisfied. I hope that you will consider staying at the Hotel deLuxe again and we will be happy to select a room that meets all of your needs (including any extra amenities you might request.)