“Great Service at a Beautiful Hotel”
Review of Hotel deLuxe

Hotel deLuxe
Ranked #5 of 140 Hotels in Portland
Oregon
“Great Service at a Beautiful Hotel”
Reviewed August 24, 2008

My husband and I stayed here for our anniversary. We often stay at Hotel Monaco in Portland and have stayed at many great hotels (like the Four Seasons) around the world. This hotel has some of the best service I have experienced. We booked one of their "romance" packages and everything was as described. When my massage appointments fell through at a local spa I called the hotel and they were able to book two in-room massages on a Saturday with one day's notice. They even made sure our room could accommodate two massage tables. The hotel staff was very responsive, friendly and professional. I dropped a necklace in the sink and it went down the drain. When I called the front desk they sent someone up immediately. I wanted a different pillow and someone came up quickly. We ate at the restaurant, Gracie's, for breakfast and it was delicious and offered many healthy options as well as "comfort" food. The architecture and decor of the hotel are beautiful. I love that they have Aveda products in the rooms and that their valet service doesn't take forever. I would definitely stay here again. If only they took dogs over 40lbs like Hotel Monaco does.

• Liked — Service
  • Disliked — Small bathroom counter space
  • Stayed August 2008, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Kathy11Oregon

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (291)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
Orange County, CA
Reviewed August 24, 2008

I'm writing this review here in my room on the last night of my three day stay at the Hotel deLuxe. All of the previous reviews have already touched on the positives here; the location, the fun Hollywood theme, the compact but clean and comfortable rooms, the luxurious bedding, etc.

But I'm not sure I'll return to the Hotel deLuxe because they can't seem to get the details right, some of which they make a point of bragging about on their website.

For instance, the pillow menu or the programmed Ipod for the player in the room was not mentioned upon check-in, nor was it mentioned by the bellman who brought up my luggage and happily took a five dollar tip. So when I got to my room and settled in I called the Front Desk. The "soft" pillow was in stock, but when I asked for an Ipod programmed with Jazz I was told "Oh, I think that one is already checked out." When the bellman came back with my pillow 15 minutes later he confirmed that "another room already has the Jazz Ipod". Apparently they only have one Ipod for each of the seven music styles they offer. If that's going to be a gimmick you advertise in a hotel with 130 rooms, you might want to stock at least a couple of Ipods of each genre. The Ipod request was never mentioned again by the staff, and for the next several days I never received an Ipod. I guess the room that had it was hogging it all week.

Then there's the Torrefazione coffee service, which is nicely presented on a little cart in the room. But you only get one serving of regular and decaf, and once you use it it's never replaced. After the first morning I used the single serve coffee packet, and left another five dollar tip on the bed for the maids. They cleaned the room and replaced the used glasses, but none of the coffee/cream/sugar was replaced for the rest of my stay. So in the evening or morning it was calls to room service for a 10 dollar carafe of coffee and some creamer.

The in-room wi-fi, which costs 10 dollars per day to use, is the slowest thing I've used since I gave up my 56K modem a decade ago. If you are a business traveler who needs even moderate speed, you will pull your hair out waiting for pages to load with the deLuxe wi-fi service. There is no wired Internet in the rooms, only very, very slow wi-fi.

The bar, which is a fabulously kitschy 1960's den called The Driftwood Room, looked fantastic. But the bartender fell into the same trap as many of the DeLuxe employees; pleasant and reasonably profesional when approached, but too casual and unpolished in their service. The front desk staff always seemed to be chomping on gum and could never manage to look you in the eye, the doormen were often horsing around as I left or arrived, the bartender was complaining in front of me about back of house politics to his coworker, etc., etc.

Lastly, the town car service the hotel recommended I use from the airport was a nightmare. AAA Town Car, which the deLuxe front desk told me to use when I called a week in advance, is really just a guy who drives a 9 year old Ford Expedition with vinyl seats and a squeaky luggage hatch. He talked constantly on his cell phone the entire way to the hotel, often quoting rates for other customers or arranging pickup times on a pad balanced on the steering wheel while he drove with his knees. The Front Desk told me the charge would be a "flat rate of 50 dollars", but when I was dropped off that rate had suddenly changed to 60 dollars, plus the tip I gave him. Find another limo or town car service online, and don't take the advice of the Hotel DeLuxe when they tell you to call "AAA Town Car".

The Hotel DeLuxe seems to have left many of the details slip or go unnoticed. The staff is reasonably polite for a middle range hotel, but they are really just offering small-city service that is not as polished or profesional or precise as you would find in bigger cities. Portland is a lovely town with some charming diversions, but it's clearly not in the big leagues when it comes to service standards. If you are expecting four star service for your 250 dollar per night room at the Hotel DeLuxe, you will be dissapointed. But it does have three star amenities with two and a half star service.

Just be sure to bring your own Ipod.

• Liked — Hollywood theme, comfortable bed.
  • Disliked — Service, amenities, polish.
3 Thank TP2000
KlaudioPortland, General Manager at Hotel deLuxe, responded to this review, August 28, 2008
Dear Guest,

Thank you very much for taking the time to comment on your recent stay at the Hotel deLuxe. I am very surprised by the number of issues you experienced and would like to apologize for the inconvenience. Our staff members are known to go above and beyond to satisfy guest’s needs and I am disappointed we were unable to do so with you. Our wireless service has been flawless in the past and I am sure this was just an isolated case. What you have experienced at the deLuxe does not represent a common practice and I would love to talk to you in person and talk about your return. Our goal is to meet and exceed all of your expectations and I am positive your next stay will be much more enjoyable. Thank you again and I look forward to your response.

Klaudio Simic
Southeast
Reviewed August 22, 2008

I stayed at the Hotel DeLuxe twice during August. The first stay I was upgraded to a huge corner room!! It even had a walk-in closet. The service was outstanding. I was able to relax and enjoy the pampering and the good food. The staff helped me find my way around the city and suggested lots of fun things to do. Did I mention the pampering? Traveling alone to an unfamiliar city can be daunting, but the wonderful folks at Hotel DeLuxe made me feel at home.

• Liked — Helpfulness and friendliness of the staff
Alpahretta
Reviewed August 22, 2008

WHAT AN AWESOME HOTEL! This place exceeded all of my expectations. The staff (valet, bellman, front dest, GM) were amazing - all went out of their way for us. The hotel is beautiful and in a great location! I would stay here again in a heartbeat!!!

• Liked — EVERYTHING
  • Disliked — NOTHING
  • Stayed June 2008, traveled as a couple
Vancouver
Reviewed August 18, 2008

I stayed many times at The Mallory, this hotel’s (long-time) previous incarnation. The Mallory was, for many years, a Portland gem, but became a bit threadbare and slapdash at the end. The deLuxe makeover is welcome. A complete overhaul, from improving the dining area, funking up the tiny cocktail lounge, carpeting, paint, beds, fixtures, the works.

The pluses are many. Great location, courteous, friendly staff, hip digs, comfortable bed (although a tad soft), nice ambiance, good TV, iPod docks, Aveda amenities. It's been given the "Joan Rivers" if you know what I mean. But, as such, there are a few negatives. For example, even in its heyday, this location was not soundproof. And it still isn’t. You’ll hear the elevator, other room doors closing, people in the hall. You’ll hear the water pipes next door and you’ll hear people in the upstairs room drop something on the floor, despite the carpet. It’s a pet-friendly hotel, which I approve of, but given the sound issues you could be in for trouble. Since the heritage structure has remained intact so have the room sizes. They are small. Think the Paramount in NYC and add a closet. There’s room for one chair and that’s about it. The space is very well designed but we’re still talking teensy.

I stayed during a heatwave. Hot, three digit hot. I had friends in town in two other hotels and they were very comfortable. Although the deLuxe lobby was nice and cool, the rooms still have the Mallory-type (i.e., woefully inadequate) wall units which kept the room “cool” but really not comfortable. Set at 67° they operated at a breezy ten degrees warmer. Plus there were a million bed linens to cast off before retiring. (I was in a Fairmont this summer and they had thoughtfully removed the winter duvet and put a note on the bed to that effect—you could ask for it back if you needed it—but generally in July and August you don't.)

I’ve stayed all over Portland for over 20 years, at the Paramount, Benson, Heathman, Hilton, Marriott, Ace, Lucia, Mallory (RIP), deLuxe and outside the city proper. In terms of the more hip venues, the deLuxe is that much more deluxe and comfortable than the ridiculously spartan Ace (rooms don’t even have a coat hook let alone a closet!) and I think the central loc just slightly removed from the downtown hub trumps the Lucia. But if you want a spacious room, a comfortable bed, a good loc and relative quiet, I would recommend the less-hip but amply comfortable Paramount.

• Liked — Good location, great staff.
  • Disliked — Inadequate air conditioning, tiny room (given price)
2 Thank Overseez
Durham, NC
Reviewed August 12, 2008

Nicely decorated room, but a little small. Bed was comfortable, and the pillow menu is a really good idea. The LCD TV with HD programming was nice to have.

Like some others have reported, the cleaning people missed the boat on some things. We stayed two nights and no one came in after the first night. This wasn't much of a problem, but it was annoying that there wasn't more coffee to brew the following morning.

Service was friendly enough, and valet parking was nice, but very expensive ($24/night). There didn't seem to be good alternative overnight parking options, but the hotel's garage is further down the street where you can park overnight for $19. Not much savings a night, but it could add up if you stayed a while.

The location is very convenient to downtown and transit. Portland is a very walkable city, so anywhere near the city center is a good location for tourists wanting to wander around downtown.

Overall, I think the room was more expensive than it was worth. We paid a rate of around $170 a night which came to over $200 with various taxes and parking. I would have settled for something a little less nice for cheaper, but that is hard to find in downtown Portland.

• Liked — Smartly decorated and clean hotel
  • Disliked — Lax cleaning service
  • Stayed August 2008, traveled as a couple
2 Thank cqdurham
Klaudio, General Manager at Hotel deLuxe, responded to this review, August 13, 2008
Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to comment on your recent stay at the Hotel deLuxe. I am disappointed we failed to impress you with our rooms and service during this visit and we are addressing the issues that caused that. We have many options in regards to room size and I am confident we have one that meets your needs. Please contact me directly for your next visit and I will personally assist you in selecting a room for your stay. Thank you very much for staying with us and I look forward to your return.

Klaudio Simic
Seattle
Reviewed August 8, 2008

Usually my wife has the patience to research our travel itinerary but this year I volunteered to find a place to go for our 14th anniversary. We'd stayed at the Mallory Hotel before and had really enjoyed the hotel and it's staff in the past -- particularly the fact that they're a little off the inner square of downtown enough to be a bit quieter.

Unfortunately, I discovered that the Mallory had been sold and converted into a chic boutique hotel and the rates were a lot higher than they'd been when it was the Mallory. But after a through search of the other hotels in the area, I discovered the Hotel Deluxe rates were pretty comparable so we decided to give it a try.

It's an awesome hotel that even allows pets. The staff were very friendly and went out of their way to accommodate us with early and late checkouts to coincide with our train schedule. You may be surprised at how small the rooms are but we're the type that aren't in our room all that much anyway and we knew about this when it was the Mallory. Whoever redesigned these rooms did a great job making them funky and comfortable with all the amenities included. And being close to the Metro made it easy access for us to get around too! I highly recommend this hotel for anyone who wants a relaxed and comfortable stay.

Stayed July 2008