“Nice hotel, good location”
Review of Hotel deLuxe

Hotel deLuxe
Ranked #3 of 144 Hotels in Portland
Reviewed December 9, 2013

I stayed here long ago when it was still the Mallory. It's much nicer now. Service is friendly and the location is great (just a couple of blocks from Max, Portland's light rail.) The food isn't wonderful but there are lots of nice places to eat in Portland.

Stayed: December 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank JimiHSeattleWA
Tim B, General Manager at Hotel deLuxe, responded to this reviewResponded December 12, 2013

Thank you for taking the time to provide us with some feedback regarding you recent stay. I am glad you like the updates to the property and were able to take advantage of our fabulous location. We would love to welcome you back next time you travel to Portland.

Reviewed December 9, 2013

This used to be one of my favorite hotels. Over the last eight years or so I have stayed here numerous times for work and occasionally for pleasure. I particularly enjoyed the Driftwood Lounge which had great retro-ambience and great service - the bartender was very entertaining. So this November I decided that my beloved and I needed a romantic break and the DeLuxe and the Driftwood Lounge would be the centerpiece. So we flew to Portland from Seattle for a much-needed break. We planned on drinks at the lounge, followed by Theater followed by a late dinner in the lounge. We even got on the hotel's website the day before our arrival to peruse the menu. Imagine my surprise when I arrived and at check-in (only after I told the clerk how happy I was to return and was looking forward to the Driftwood) to FINALLy learn that the Driftwood was not open to their hotel guests.

The Driftwood was closed not due to renovation, a water leak or some other calamity. No, it was closed to the hotel's guests because management had decided to alter their business model and become a movie set for some Fox movie rather than meet their commitments to their guests. And no where during the reservation process nor during my visit to their website the day before we arrived was there any mention that a key hotel service was going to be unavailable. No email was sent to me warning me and giving me an opportunity to cancel.

On top of all that, management rewarded my loyalty by giving us a room on the top floor with significant fan noise and a view of the internal building well. So as I said this USED to be my favorite hotel in Portland. Unfortunately, I now have a different story to tell my clients about sticking to their business model and not venturing into new and inappropriate territory just for bragging rights - "our hotel was a movie set", does nothing if you have chased loyal customers away as a result. I am still, a month later, very, very disappointed.

Room Tip: Call before you confirm your room about the location of your room, avoid the top floor and interior...
1  Thank Travel_Pin_Man
Tim B, General Manager at Hotel deLuxe, responded to this reviewResponded December 11, 2013

I am very sorry to hear that you were so displeased with your recent stay with us. Please accept my deepest apology. Should a similar situation occur again, we will take additional steps to advise our guests. Thank for taking to share your experience and for being a repeat guest. I hope you will reconsider staying with us again in the future.

Reviewed December 9, 2013

Hotel was tailored to meeting the needs of you and your four legged friend. Highly recommended for all travelers. Rooms were a bit small, but the hotel really made up for it with their service options. Would definitely stay there again.

• Stayed: November 2013, traveled with family

Thank you for taking the time to write such a nice review. The Hotel deLuxe is proud to be able to cater to guests that want to bring their pets along with them. I am happy to hear that you would choose to stay with us again, and we look forward to welcoming you and your four legged friend back to Portland.

Reviewed December 6, 2013

My friend and I booked this hotel on an Expedia special and we were SO glad we ended up with this place! Their social media team is on the ball, and made us feel welcome even before we arrived. Check in was warm and friendly, and we were so happy with our room. The room was neat and tidy, and the beds were very comfortable. There was even music quietly playing when we first checked in to the room. We ended up spending a bit extra for the valet parking, but it was well worth it to have my car close at hand. Staff were very friendly and helpful when we asked for directions, or just to stop for a chat. Will definitely be back!

• Stayed: December 2013, traveled with friends

I appreciate you taking the time to write such a glowing review. We take pride in our attention to detail and I am glad to hear you were so impressed with the staff and the property. Next time you are down in the Rose City I hope we get a chance to welcome you back.

Reviewed December 3, 2013

The hubs and I stayed at Hotel deLuxe over thanksgiving this year, and we had a really great time. The check-in was easy, service was great, and the room was very clean and comfortable. Two things keep me from giving it a 5 star review: the parking and the value of the meal in Gracie's, the hotel's restaurant. I booked this hotel for many reasons, one of them being that it was listed as having parking. However, what was not mentioned, is that the parking is NOT free. Far from it, actually. The valet parking directly across the street was $29/night and the garage parking next to the hotel was $25/night. It would have been nice to have been warned about that so we could factor it into our budget. And the meal at Gracie's, while very good, was not a good value. I ordered the trout, which was about $15, but it did not come with any sides. No vegetables or bread or anything. Just things to keep in mind. Otherwise, we had a very enjoyable stay and would happily visit again!

Room Tip: The top floors have excellent views of the city and mountains.
  • Stayed: November 2013, traveled as a couple

Thank you for taking the time to provide us with some feedback regarding your recent stay with us. I am so happy to hear the service and room were great, especially coming from a Senior Contributor. If you are ever in Portland again, I hope you do decide to visit again.

Reviewed November 29, 2013

Rather peculiar décor, a slightly disturbing yellow and pale blue theme. A bedside table only on one side of the bed was inconvenient and inexcusable for any hotel. Single pane windows made it a little cold. Although booked for two people, there was only one, rather old looking robe in the closet. The chest of drawers with refrigerator concealed was very blah looking, but possibly this is part of "Keep Portland Weird" theme.

The bathwater was hot and plentiful and the shampoo, conditioner and lotion quite interesting and of good quality. The bed was comfortable.

The breakfast was rather indigestible. The Hangtown omelet had pieces of oyster that did not seem fresh, although they were not actually bad. The bagel with the smoked salmon was the toughest bagel I have ever met and made me alarmed lest I should break my teeth on it. As these were listed as House Specials, I was surprised.

The business center wanted to charge me for use of the internet, so I did not use it, and a Liter bottle of water in the room wanted a rather hefty $6.00 in exchange for drinking it, so I made do with tap water.

It is not like it was when it was the Mallory Hotel 12 years ago, so look before you book.

2  Thank Christine S
Reviewed November 26, 2013

My wife and I stayed at Hotel Deluxe for one night Nov 22, 2013. It offers self parking and valet parking for a charge. I think the difference was around $5. You enter the hotel through a small set of stairs into a high ceiling lobby. The check in process is quick and efficient with the staff being knowledgeable of the local area.

The room itself is a little on the small side but the space was sufficient for just the two of us. The hotel definitely has the vintage feel throughout - beginning in the lobby and into the rooms.

The bar had a nice happy hour menu with a variety of options available late night.

I would say my one disappointment was the gym. I would say I'm a gym rat and there was nothing for me to really do in there. They had dumbbells up to 50 lbs but a smith machine or a cable machine of some sort would have been nice. The cardio machines are also outdated.